MichiganMarc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello everyone!
So I am doing my research regarding installing a battery backup for my aquarium and have come across a few questions. I am hoping someone can provide some input.
6 foot 165 gallon aquarium. I am currently running 2 Reef Octo Pulse 4's and 2 Tunze 6095's for flow. These are controlled via an Apex.
I have read that the IceCap Battery Backup works with the Octo Pulse powerheads.
My questions:
1.) Can the battery backup work even though the pumps are controlled via the Apex?
2.) When the power goes out, will the pumps just turn on full blast?
3.) My Octo Pulse powerheads are currently not pointed up for surface agitation. Should they be in the event of a power failure? (I wasn't sure if this is necessary for water oxygenation)

I appreciate any feedback. Just trying to do this all correctly.

Thanks again!!
Marc

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ecotech pumps and there’s a separate power connection on the powerhead controller for battery power. Not sure about ice cap. Battery backup is ok for short term outages but you should probably look into a generator for a real emergency. Good luck

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hello everyone!
So I am doing my research regarding installing a battery backup for my aquarium and have come across a few questions. I am hoping someone can provide some input.
6 foot 165 gallon aquarium. I am currently running 2 Reef Octo Pulse 4's and 2 Tunze 6095's for flow. These are controlled via an Apex.
I have read that the IceCap Battery Backup works with the Octo Pulse powerheads.
My questions:
1.) Can the battery backup work even though the pumps are controlled via the Apex?
3.) My Octo Pulse powerheads are currently not pointed up for surface agitation. Should they be in the event of a power failure? (I wasn't sure if this is necessary for water oxygenation)

Thanks again!!
Marc

1st question. What do you mean controlled via apex? Are you controlling them via 0-10V signal from apex?

OP
OP
MichiganMarc

MichiganMarc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use ecotech pumps and there’s a separate power connection on the powerhead controller for battery power. Not sure about ice cap. Battery backup is ok for short term outages but you should probably look into a generator for a real emergency. Good luck
Yea this would be for short term outage. Just in case of an outage if I am at work or just away from home for no longer than 24 hours.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
My questions:

Thanks again!!
Marc
I assume by control you mean the ability to turn the pump on/off via power control from the apex outlet? That's the trade off with these types of batteries. You can't route the power through both and use it as a fail over. If you route the power through the battery you are covered in the event of a power failure but give up that control aspect via the energy bar. You can still route 1-10v power through the apex however for speed control.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry about that. Yes they are controlled via 0-10V signal from Apex

Not great.

When the apex dies it will send 0V signal and stop all your powerheads. You should just let the 6095s be controlled via its controller and use something like these https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-turbelle-safety-connector.html to connect a huge automotive or SLA battery that you can maintain with a smart charger.

OR.

Keep everything as is and wire the aux plug on your APEX to the same 12V battery mentioned above.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The approach I took for the battery backup on my system is simplistic and two fold. I am using a large external UPS that is dedicated to the wave makers and circulation pump. This unit will run the DC pumps for about 480 minutes on its own. To add to that I have a modified IceCap battery backup for the main DC circulation pump. I added twin 70 AH 12v deep cycle sealed gel batteries to it and a 50amp 12v-24v step-up converter. I went way oversize on the converter so it would not heat up and decrease power output. I had that happen with a much smaller step-up converter. With this setup In the event that the UPS runs out the IceCap will keep the circulation pump running for nearly 3 days. I also have a whole house 12Kw generator that can be fired up if the outage is going to last for more than a few hours.

For your setup you might want to consider a large server class UPS unit for the APEX and pumps or separate the circulation pump out so it is not controlled by the APEX. Granted if it shuts off you would not get the alert but in the event of a sustained power outage it would continue to run for as long as you have battery reserve for it from the IceCap.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not great.

When the apex dies it will send 0V signal and stop all your powerheads. You should just let the 6095s be controlled via its controller and use something like these https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-turbelle-safety-connector.html to connect a huge automotive or SLA battery that you can maintain with a smart charger.

OR.

Keep everything as is and wire the aux plug on your APEX to the same 12V battery mentioned above.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I don't want to be misunderstood. So let me be clear.

I should have said keep as-is but get 2 x Tunze Connector and wire those two connectors to your 6095s and wire your apex AUX plug to the same 12V battery, get a small inline fuse while at it whe connecting the apex. Pick large deep-discharge automotive/marine or pick an SLA battery. You'll also need a battery charger like this

or this, depending on how large a battery you buy.

Have fun.

Keep in mind that if your APEX fails (not power related) it will still send 0V signal and shut off all your powerheads. I recommend you disconnect one of your Tunzes and let it run on its own and not be controlled via apex's 0-10V.

That said, there are other/multiple ways to skin this cat.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
... For your setup you might want to consider a large server class UPS unit for the APEX and pumps ....

These are horrible for our purpose and will provide few hours of backup power at best. They are designed to sustain full load for rather a short period of time. Run the test, see for yourself.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are horrible for our purpose and will provide few hours of backup power at best. They are designed to sustain full load for rather a short period of time. Run the test, see for yourself.

I have, the smaller CyberPower AVR unit I have runs my pumps for nearly 8 hours before powering down.

My pumps are twin Current eFlux 2100g/hr wavemakers and eFlux Flow 1900 GPH set to 30%.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have, the smaller CyberPower AVR unit I have runs my pumps for nearly 8 hours before powering down.

My pumps are twin Current eFlux 2100g/hr wavemakers and eFlux Flow 1900 GPH set to 30%.

Yes, smaller CyberPower units will run a bit longer due to lower total output rating but that's not what you recommended above.

Additionally, one has to keep in mind that if you run AC pumps, many will not run on non-pure-sinewave UPS units.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, smaller CyberPower units will run a bit longer due to lower total output rating but that's not what you recommended above.

Additionally, one has to keep in mind that if you run AC pumps, many will not run on non-pure-sinewave UPS units.

That is true. In cases like that then a custom backup inverter setup may be better than any off the shelf unit. If OP wants to keep the system running for at least 8 hours then best to build it to last 12. In the end it all really depends on how much is invested in the tank I guess.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back