Battle of the Coral Types: Why these corals are better!

Of SPS, LPS and Soft Coral which coral is the best coral to keep?

• SPS

Votes: 151 28.2%
  • LPS

Votes: 272 50.7%
  • SOFT

Votes: 113 21.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Arm yourselves for battle my R2R brothers and sisters FOR TODAY WE FIGHT! Choose your side and defend it well! Today we're going to talk about the three most popular types of coral and I will ask you to choose a side and defend why your favorite type is the best type of coral! This is a battle but it's a friendly skirmish so keep a smile on your face and let's see who WINS! Oh and YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE! If not you will be considered a nuisance algae loving, aiptasia growing, tank full of pests, deserter! :p

1. Of SPS, LPS and Soft Coral which coral is the best coral to keep?

2. Why is your coral of choice the best coral to keep? Defend it!

CORAL BATTLE.jpg

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS, they are the pinnacle of what the ocean has to offer and the crown jewel of any tank when maintained as close to nature's parameters as possible.
When you successfully keep SPS Neptune himself smiles, the oceans beam and you post those growth shots here and Hobbyists nod and give you well deserved Thumbs Up!!! Sometimes even the Heart Emoji!!!

Yes SPS is a lot like owning a brand new Tesla, non SPS people point, whisper and say, yes I really want that type of Small Stoney Polyp growth too, how does that Hobbyist do it, let's go ask him for their secrets.

SPS who doesn't crave that long term success!!!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS for sure. It's not as demanding as SPS, but more variety and a wider range of colors compared to softies. Softies are great for beginners. SPS is great for experienced reefers. LPS is great for everyone.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the risk of sounding like a fence sitter, I'd say all of the above. SPS may be the most challenging individual variety of the bunch, but keeping a successful mixed reef will all three is even more challenging given their different preferences.

For my reefs, I like to have a bit of everything. I like the movement and color I get from my LPS and softies, and I love the beauty and shape of my SPS. I don't know that I'll ever do a reef with only one or two varieties.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say softies because they’re nice if you have them with algae. In a proper reef it’s SPS because most LPS look a lot like anemones - I dislike the look of anemones.

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 month tank and I have one SPS that I'm nursing from a guy who couldn't grow it. Was bleached and barely any polyps. Now it's got its color full of polyps and even growing In size. I would like to say eventually more SPS but for such a new tank and still learning lots I'm leaning for LPS currently for now. In love with my torches and and love the movement of lps. But there are some really nice sps that I wanna get eventually like the Walt Disney's. I think the whole thing about SPS is that you know you're tank is in great shape and it's a flex of how awesome you've done :). Visually though I'm leaning for LPS.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS for the win.

The challenge doesn't end with getting them to survive. The devils in the details with sps and the challenge never ends. Different lighting, flow and husbandry techniques all play a role in the structure and coloration of each individual piece.

Not to mention you can grab a browned out no name frag and end up with a gorgeous colony down the road.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only own 5 corals,3 soft and 2 lps as new to saltwater and taking advice of taking it slow but at this present time i prefer the movement and colours from softies and lps but come to think of it when i look at divers footage from coral reefs i think of monti caps as being and looking the best and once my ugly stages get out of the way i will be adding one of these and hopefully getting it twirling upto the light.so my vote after saying all this will be towards the lps corals and definately not sps corals with little fluffy polyps as i want movement,they maybe harder to keep but im more for the visual aspect of how it looks and moves ^_^
Maybe as my saltwater journey continues i will venture into sps sticks who knows and a mixed reef sure does look great ^_^

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back