Battle of the Coral Types: Why these corals are better!

Of SPS, LPS and Soft Coral which coral is the best coral to keep?

• SPS

Votes: 151 28.2%
  • LPS

Votes: 272 50.7%
  • SOFT

Votes: 113 21.1%

• Total voters

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would truly love to have a thriving high end SPS tank. Sadly, I've come to realize that I just don't have the SPS touch. LPS corals, are generally less finicky, provide nice color, more movement, and grow more quickly for me. I'll always have some Monti's and Birdsnests in the mix, but nothing fancier. I don't want to have to sneak up on the tank just to keep a bunch of sticks from RTN-ing!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think any of these arbitrary categories (the line between SPS and LPS is pretty blurry) are inherently better than the others, but I personally prefer LPS, always have. I just like fleshy, pillowy corals, and I like movement. SPS are probably my least favorite, but that’s not to say I dislike them, I really like some of the shaggier varieties, i just like LPS and softies more.

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS for the win.

The challenge doesn't end with getting them to survive. The devils in the details with sps and the challenge never ends. Different lighting, flow and husbandry techniques all play a role in the structure and coloration of each individual piece.

Not to mention you can grab a browned out no name frag and end up with a gorgeous colony down the road.
This exactly !

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say LPS for me because euphyllias are my favorite and good for beginners, although Montipora is probably my second favorite and softies are great as well

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no expirience with sps and already killed my share of lps. I voted LPS becsuse their morpholgy is way more versatile than sps. Also diving in the red sea, acropora is very common and is ll over the place.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We grow attachments to the coral we have to work to grow. So I feel like SPS will get a lot of answers from actual reefers. However, ask any person visiting your house or your family that doesn't participate and their favorites will almost always be the most colorful or the coral with the most movement. I think LPS and anemones are the most initially attractive corals/animals to most people.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We grow attachments to the coral we have to work to grow. So I feel like SPS will get a lot of answers from actual reefers. However, ask any person visiting your house or your family that doesn't participate and their favorites will almost always be the most colorful or the coral with the most movement. I think LPS and anemones are the most initially attractive corals/animals to most people.
Very true, people always comment on my frogger , hammers and Xenia. I have to FORCE them to notice my Acros! Lol
But the tank is for me not them. ;)

captainbeardly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arm yourselves for battle my R2R brothers and sisters FOR TODAY WE FIGHT! Choose your side and defend it well! Today we're going to talk about the three most popular types of coral and I will ask you to choose a side and defend why your favorite type is the best type of coral! This is a battle but it's a friendly skirmish so keep a smile on your face and let's see who WINS! Oh and YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE! If not you will be considered a nuisance algae loving, aiptasia growing, tank full of pests, deserter! :p

1. Of SPS, LPS and Soft Coral which coral is the best coral to keep?

2. Why is your coral of choice the best coral to keep? Defend it!

CORAL BATTLE.jpg
I love all corals but LPS have that beautiful movement in the flow then I’d have to says zoas due to all the color choices.

r4rlee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arm yourselves for battle my R2R brothers and sisters FOR TODAY WE FIGHT! Choose your side and defend it well! Today we're going to talk about the three most popular types of coral and I will ask you to choose a side and defend why your favorite type is the best type of coral! This is a battle but it's a friendly skirmish so keep a smile on your face and let's see who WINS! Oh and YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE! If not you will be considered a nuisance algae loving, aiptasia growing, tank full of pests, deserter! :p

CORAL BATTLE.jpg
I picked soft as i am new and it’s all i have

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess, the question is what is the definition of "best"? Best looking? Easiest to care for? Fastest growing? All these could be valid requirements.

My Acros are doing the best, fastest growing, most color and getting bigger each day.

My euphillya are doing amazing as well, I'm up to 30 heads on two different colonies. Recently picked up a gold branching hammer and a orange branching hammer and both are doing amazing as well.
I picked up a zoa rock to start a zoa garden, around 1/3 of the zoas melted in the first week, the rest on the same rock are growing new polyps and fully open every day? why did 1/3rd melt and the other 2/3rds grow new polyps? I have no idea...

So, what is best?
Take your pick, depends on your tank chemistry. :)

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CORAL BATTLE.jpg
While I do love LPS and, modesty aside, have a pretty spectacular Scoly collection, SPS is the way to go. I love the color, the challenge, and the gratification when they do well. I have a mixed reef that is SPS dominant.

NanoMan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is a difficult question to answer! I’m partial to the LPS but that is my preference. Soft are great for beginners since you actively have to try and kill them for the most part. LPS man my beautiful frog spawn and torches are in that category same as my Acan all my favorites. A bit harder to keep though lighting and water needs to be better controlled. SPS they are beautiful but the requirements and placement has to be almost just perfect to actually grow. It’s really what do you have time to take care of and what kind of budget are you working with.

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CORAL BATTLE.jpg
I say Soft Corals because to me they are most forgiving, require the least amount of care and work and they are very beautiful. You do not have to dose extra calcium or other chemicals as long as you maintain and do water changes your salt and lights provide what they need. I am Bias because I have not had LPS or SPS corals and from what I have read and heard I do not think I will. Soft Corals used to be the thing but now most people have either LPS or SPS corals and I am doing all soft corals because to me they are beautiful and less care.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back