Battlecorals Snipes Blue Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

thaveteran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are they chances this new coral gets in the way of taking pictures of the contest frag?
5D017038-0C9D-4574-AD20-C2AC986CBE54.jpeg

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost lost my frag to a rock slide...
before
45601997741_d81221e023_c.jpg

after the slide. It was actually the small shelf the frag was on that shifted, moving the frag up wards within 1/2" of the rocks above it.
45881422432_d41b61ab4b_c.jpg

Ended up moving the rocks above it to another tank to help seed some new live rock.
So much space for activities! Now grow!
45206706854_863955c759_c.jpg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea mine is encrusting gotta grab a photo tomorrow
When I have just the XHO’s on the new growth is this bright green that glows across the room hope I can catch it in the photo

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e02ada6319e595112a96b2c7d662dcf8.jpg

I guess this would be my official entry for November. The snipers is in there somewhere.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man...sorry to hear that! What happened??

That sucks man! What was the cause?

I've lost around 60% of frags in the past year. My own fault for trying sps in a system that was too young and just not ready for them.

I'm not 100% what happened yet. I too am a bit guilty of a young system (will turn 1 yr at the beginning of February), however, things were really starting to take off, encrust, color up, etc. and then all of a sudden complete death.

I have checked everything I can think of, pumps, heaters, magnets, salinity, current, etc and nothing turns up. Alk was steady for months. The one thing I hit on was my lighting. I have GHL Mitras and run someone else's profile. It's a big intense for my system so I run acclimation mode at 65% to tone it down. I found that acclimation ran out on Oct. 18th so lights were back up at 90-100% intensity. Deaths started occuring about 2 weeks later and were complete within another 2 weeks.

Any pros here think that could have been the cause of their demise? I also did two treatments of Purge within that time (for a slight AEFW population) which may have accelerated things if stress was already occurring. LPS have been shriveled and zoas closed up. Some zoas are open now and some LPS are starting to recover.

I've done some waterchanges and ran carbon as well to try to assist. But, really the only thing I can hit on is the lighting and wondering if that really could be the cause??

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% what happened yet. I too am a bit guilty of a young system (will turn 1 yr at the beginning of February), however, things were really starting to take off, encrust, color up, etc. and then all of a sudden complete death.

I have checked everything I can think of, pumps, heaters, magnets, salinity, current, etc and nothing turns up. Alk was steady for months. The one thing I hit on was my lighting. I have GHL Mitras and run someone else's profile. It's a big intense for my system so I run acclimation mode at 65% to tone it down. I found that acclimation ran out on Oct. 18th so lights were back up at 90-100% intensity. Deaths started occuring about 2 weeks later and were complete within another 2 weeks.

Any pros here think that could have been the cause of their demise? I also did two treatments of Purge within that time (for a slight AEFW population) which may have accelerated things if stress was already occurring. LPS have been shriveled and zoas closed up. Some zoas are open now and some LPS are starting to recover.

I've done some waterchanges and ran carbon as well to try to assist. But, really the only thing I can hit on is the lighting and wondering if that really could be the cause??

I did read somewhere how someone else had a total disaster of a situation with “purge”. How it Wiped out like 90% of all his sps. The problem with newer products is you are never too sure what type of effects it will have on your tank.

Sorry to see this happened to you..... I think this is everyone’s worst nightmare

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck man. I had almost all my battle corals die on me. Introduced them when the tank hit about 7 months, and the 2 survivors out of a 8 pack is my FF Digi, and garf bonsai. I think the same, too soon and not FULLY matured just yet. Good luck man!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read somewhere how someone else had a total disaster of a situation with “purge”. How it Wiped out like 90% of all his sps. The problem with newer products is you are never too sure what type of effects it will have on your tank.

Sorry to see this happened to you..... I think this is everyone’s worst nightmare
UWC doesn't seem to think it was solely caused by the Purge, but maybe just piled onto an already stressed situation. I'm not sure. To their credit they've worked with me to try to troubleshoot the situation, tested the batch mine came from on their own tank, and refunded my order so I can't complain as far as that goes.

I don't, however, think it can be chalked up exclusively to a young tank. LPS and zoas are typically pretty tough regardless and they were also set back.

I'm really tempted to ditch the LEDs and hang my MH's back up, but I also can't be sure the lighting situation was the cause either.

So frustrating, and my desire to stay in the hobby has been greatly reduced at the moment.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck man. I had almost all my battle corals die on me. Introduced them when the tank hit about 7 months, and the 2 survivors out of a 8 pack is my FF Digi, and garf bonsai. I think the same, too soon and not FULLY matured just yet. Good luck man!
So far my FF Digi has hung in there as well. My Slimeball anacropora took a hit but is also still alive. No coral currently looks great unfortunately.

I think regardless I will wait until I hit that one year mark for sure before I add back any more acros.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UWC doesn't seem to think it was solely caused by the Purge, but maybe just piled onto an already stressed situation. I'm not sure. To their credit they've worked with me to try to troubleshoot the situation, tested the batch mine came from on their own tank, and refunded my order so I can't complain as far as that goes.

I don't, however, think it can be chalked up exclusively to a young tank. LPS and zoas are typically pretty tough regardless and they were also set back.

I'm really tempted to ditch the LEDs and hang my MH's back up, but I also can't be sure the lighting situation was the cause either.

So frustrating, and my desire to stay in the hobby has been greatly reduced at the moment.

This really is a reefers worst nightmare.

Events like this can sometimes be impossible to nail down to any one thing. Could be a multitude of events to cause this.

I would step back and collect thoughts. Basic maintenance for the next month with minimal changes to the system would be my course of action.

As far as lighting, I really can't comment on leds much. All I've used were Kessils. They are nice lights. I just don't like tinkering with intensities and color blending. It's just not for me. I like simple setups. On/off lighting with no dimming has always worked well for me.

Edit:

I've been running halides since July.

Last edited:

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really is a reefers worst nightmare.

Events like this can sometimes be impossible to nail down to any one thing. Could be a multitude of events to cause this.

I would step back and collect thoughts. Basic maintenance for the next month with minimal changes to the system would be my course of action.

As far as lighting, I really can't comment on leds much. All I've used were Kessils. They are nice lights. I just don't like tinkering with intensities and color blending. It's just not for me. I like simple setups. On/off lighting with no dimming has always worked well for me.

Edit:

I've been running halides since July.
Yeah, I plan to just let things ride for now and see how it goes. I wasn't messing with the leds or anything like that, as far as intensity/colors etc. I chose my profile from the start and stuck to it. The only change was the acclimation mode to throttle back intensity. So, outside of that expiring, I hadn't "tinkered" with it from the start and these fixtures have been over the tank since..May? I believe.

Frustrating for sure, and as you say, probably can't point to one thing in particular that was the cause. That said, sure makes a person gunshy to ever consider adding those $$ little acros again down the road. :)

thaveteran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my FF Digi has hung in there as well. My Slimeball anacropora took a hit but is also still alive. No coral currently looks great unfortunately.

I think regardless I will wait until I hit that one year mark for sure before I add back any more acros.

I would take this time to remove any (if any are left) acros from the system and starve any remaining AEFWs out. Might as well see some good come from this.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can understand the reduced desire, I have been through some tough times over the years too. I am sorry for the losses, and hope you are back in the swing of things soon!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back