BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you just want to good burger. And yes, I smoked it then reverse seared it. Had I been smart I would’ve use the smoked cheddar cheese that I did a little while back.

4c2d8df7817891a28ddcf9809e2194c4.jpg

Reverse searing? I've heard about that with steaks. Cook in the oven on low (250) then sear before serving. Haven't tried yet. Any better?

And yes that looks really good. Will have to try. What temp and time for smoking a burger? Thanks!

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No BGE this weekend, instead I used my old BBB (Big Black Box). No sauce since I was using B&B lump coal for the first time I wanted to only taste smoke to see if I liked the flavor. And since I was using the big pit my neighbor asked to drop a couple smaller briskets in also. I cheated a little by using a BGE thermometer controlled fan, which worked out perfect. My pit stayed at 225 to 250 for 8 hours. My family scarfed up the 8 pound brisket, a slab of ribs, and a 4 lb chicken on Sunday.
IMG_3539.JPG
IMG_3542.JPG
IMG_3546.JPG

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reverse searing? I've heard about that with steaks. Cook in the oven on low (250) then sear before serving. Haven't tried yet. Any better?

And yes that looks really good. Will have to try. What temp and time for smoking a burger? Thanks!
So I cook at 225 to put some smoke flavor on, it then crank up the heat to carmelize the outside.

Advantage is that the burger has far less shrinkage and maintains a lot of it's moisture. When you put a cold burger on a hot grill, the outside shrinks up, and the burger gets lost in the bun.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cook at 225 to put some smoke flavor on, it then crank up the heat to carmelize the outside.

Advantage is that the burger has far less shrinkage and maintains a lot of it's moisture. When you put a cold burger on a hot grill, the outside shrinks up, and the burger gets lost in the bun.
Shrinkage should always be avoided! :rolleyes::p

Once again, my wife will be out of town this weekend so the smoker will be running! I need to think about a menu.... ;Writing

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From all the pictures, I appear to be the only smoker that doesn't use a thermometer.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't grill anything, burgers and Steaks I pan fry. I'll try the burger in the smoker next time. Thanks.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either. I never check the temp. Just put wood on it every couple of hours.
I'm impressed! I have a friend who can do that also but I have no idea how he pulls it off.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice and I see you got yourself a PitmasterIQ to keep those temps steady in that WSM!

Yes sir, it was given to me as a gift. Honestly it didnt really need it before, I think the WSM does a great job itself keeping temps steady.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm impressed! I have a friend who can do that also but I have no idea how he pulls it off.

Don't be too impressed! I figure I'm cooking a brisket for 12 hours so why worry about temp. I just base it all on time. I'm really surprised how well my briskets turn out. I put mine on around midnight and then setup my phone alarm to go off every 2 hours. Many times it will not wake me up and it will be 4 hours before I go check on the fire and it will be out. I just start it back up and continue on. I haven't cooked a bad brisket yet. Of course I probably have jinxed myself for this weekends cooking.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I need to step it up.:( BTW whats a good thermometer? I want a 2 channel one for the box and one for the meat

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I need to step it up.:( BTW whats a good thermometer? I want a 2 channel one for the box and one for the meat
Thermoworks makes some of the best thermometers out today.
https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2-SMof6N3QIVj19-Ch3y9ww2EAAYASABEgKm4fD_BwE

I have had good performance using Maverick. Here is there new ET-735 bluetooth thermometer. But I used a Maverick ET-73.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Maverick...9794&wl11=online&wl12=192135209&wl13=&veh=sem

Here is the ET-73
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Maverick...66001f5-641e4893-2039b61b4105e4f3&athena=true

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to find some beef short ribs this weekend but no luck. Sams had them put they were cut up.

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to find some beef short ribs this weekend but no luck. Sams had them put they were cut up.
That is the way they are at costco too. I just knock on the window to get the butcher's attention and ask him for the cryo pack. He just weighs it and slaps a label on it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back