Bean Animal - Emergency Drain Location?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Starting to plan my plumbing...

I'm doing bean animal. Both main and secondary drain will go into socks in the first chamber.

Does it matter which part of the sump the emergency drain empties into? Instead of the first chamber, is there any reason I shouldn't plumb into the skimmer or return section?

Thanks,
J

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure doesn't.

Keep in mind it will be a 'bubbly' overflow line, so if you terminate it over your return pumps, they will pump more bubbles into your display. However, aside from the noise, that could be a good indicator the emergency line is active (while it is supposed to be dry/inactive).

With mine, I originally terminated the emergency line with the other two; but then I needed a bit more room in that chamber. So I cut it back and it now terminates over the fuge area instead.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure doesn't.

Keep in mind it will be a 'bubbly' overflow line, so if you terminate it over your return pumps, they will pump more bubbles into your display. However, aside from the noise, that could be a good indicator the emergency line is active (while it is supposed to be dry/inactive).

With mine, I originally terminated the emergency line with the other two; but then I needed a bit more room in that chamber. So I cut it back and it now terminates over the fuge area instead.

Thanks for the tip about the bubbles... I'll either do fuge or skimmer. I guess if it's skimmer it's still got the bubble trap between that and the return.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine dumps into the return chamber - from enough height that the water noise should alert me that it's happening.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emergency drain goes into exactly the same place as the other two drains. However, my return chamber runs dry and the return pump stops working before water even gets the emergency drain.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see some benefit to actually dumping it into the return section, even if it does produce bubbles. It may make a good visual indicator that you need to see what's going wrong.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back