Bean Animal system / 1'' drains vs 1.5'' drains??

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide if I want to reduce them down to 1'' or go with a new sump that has 3 1.5inch bulkheads. I think this style of draining benefit's you with a greater pipe diameter! It also improves the flow rate of the siphon but the fact that a larger diameter pipe on the non-siphon drain is much less likely to be noisy.

I did a little research and found that a 1 inch full siphon will give me 1443.61 GPH. Do I really need to run 1.5 drains all the way down to the sump, i mean that seems a like a lot of flow.

Also, for my gear, I will be running an EctoTech Vectra M1 (2000gph) for the main return and a Reef Octo Varios4 pump (1200gph) that's for my BRS Dual Reactor, Avast Kalk Reactor and my UV Sterilizer which will be ran off a
manifold that will be hard plumbed. I would really like to keep it 1 inch for a lower profile for the overflow box until I get my new sump.

For those who have reduced down from 1.5 inch to 1 inch 1'' did you do it before your main gate valve or did you just add a reducer on your 1'' bulkheads on you sump?

If you run any type of Bean Animal type system or run a Synergy External Overflow with 1.5'' drains, I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions please?

1st pix is a shot of the current tank i am breaking down and the sump that I was referring to keeping.

What really get's me is that I just dropped around 300 bucks on a Synergy External Overflow box so I can run the a bean animal system for the SCA 150! All I wanted to know from Synergy was what what would be the best place to reduce down to 1'' since my sump only has 1'' bulkheads, very simple question - you would think right well I guess not..

''PER SYNERGY if you don't buy one of our sumps well then they CAN'T OFFER any type of advise on how to plumb it or where to reduce it'' They had no problem taking my $300.00 dollars but can't answer a simple question..

I was shocked they they said that to me. You mean to tell me you can hlpe me with my simple question on where do reduce it unless I buy one of your sumps, give me a break! The funny thing is I was going buy their CL-44 but since they left a very bad taste in my mouth, I will refuse to to do any business with synergy.. When i do upgrade, I will be going with @BuildingAnObsession to build my new sump..

My current set up and custom sump that I am breaking down
Installed sump & pump, skimmer.jpg

SCA Rimless 150
24068050_10215297482219022_2818211324091726787_n.jpg

3 1.5 inch drains
Overflow#2.jpg

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you need the turnover rate (like Triton method), then 1 1/2" drains are preferred. If not, then reducing after the overflow outside box (like mfinn mentioned above) would work. I drilled (used hole saw) my emerald 34 sump to 1 1/2" drains. I pre-cut/drilled a piece of wood as a guide and secured it to the old drain holes and drilled away (very carefully). Having larger holes doesn't make it less noisy (reducing noise comes with tuning the gate valve to the flow), at least in my experience.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need the turnover rate (like Triton method), then 1 1/2" drains are preferred. If not, then reducing after the overflow outside box (like mfinn mentioned above) would work. I drilled (used hole saw) my emerald 34 sump to 1 1/2" drains. I pre-cut/drilled a piece of wood as a guide and secured it to the old drain holes and drilled away (very carefully). Having larger holes doesn't make it less noisy (reducing noise comes with tuning the gate valve to the flow), at least in my experience.

I think the 1.5” would try to pull less air and might be quieter.

I adapted 1” up to 1.5 in my current overflow box and it cut noise in half. But I just use 2 standpipes in my overflow box

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for everyones speedy response to my post, its GREATLY appreciated. I am going to go with @mfinn idea with this set up! Run a 90 or two 45's right into my custom sump I had made just last year spec on the sump are 35 inches in lenght x 15'' width. My SCA 150 Build thread will be up hopefully soon... Just waiting on a few more things..

IMG_6546.JPG

IMG_6547.JPG

Last edited:

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still curious what the tipping flow rateis for 1 1/2" vs 1" drain. Most of the hobby is either using 1" or 1.5", i am at the same point with shark and bought the 34 triton from "them", technically very helpul but not good customer service. Sump is 1 1/2" have not picked a size for overflow but leaning toward 1", with flow under 1000gph

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back