Beananimal into a Trigger Systems Sump

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm getting my hands on a Trigger Systems sump, and am trying to figure out how to make this work.

On my system, I have 3 1" bulkheads, with 1.5" PVC down. The sump has 1" bulkheads. I'm left with 2 choices.

1. Keep my existing PVC drain pipes, and add a 1.5" to 1" reducer into the bulkhead of the sump. Now, I can essentially make that final run at 1" PVC...or should I get it reduced to 1" PVC as early as possible?

If I do the reducer will the system still work, as quiet as it is? Will the siphon have any problems starting?

2. Redo all my drain pipes to 1" PVC?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm getting my hands on a Trigger Systems sump, and am trying to figure out how to make this work.

On my system, I have 3 1" bulkheads, with 1.5" PVC down. The sump has 1" bulkheads. I'm left with 2 choices.

1. Keep my existing PVC drain pipes, and add a 1.5" to 1" reducer into the bulkhead of the sump. Now, I can essentially make that final run at 1" PVC...or should I get it reduced to 1" PVC as early as possible?

If I do the reducer will the system still work, as quiet as it is? Will the siphon have any problems starting?

2. Redo all my drain pipes to 1" PVC?
It doesn't matter where you do the reduction. Do whatever is easier for you.

If you think about it, the reduction is just like a throttle valve. It doesn't matter how high on the drain line the valve is for the system to work.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter where you do the reduction. Do whatever is easier for you.

If you think about it, the reduction is just like a throttle valve. It doesn't matter how high on the drain line the valve is for the system to work.

Will it have any impact on noise or impacting how the siphon starts?

My plan is to have a horizontal run of about 15" into an elbow and reduce there from the elbow down to the inlet of the sump so that final run is 1"

It at least sounds like a logical idea in my head

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it have any impact on noise or impacting how the siphon starts?

My plan is to have a horizontal run of about 15" into an elbow and reduce there from the elbow down to the inlet of the sump so that final run is 1"

It at least sounds like a logical idea in my head
Nope. If anything, it might be a little quieter having the final part of the run at 1". Or at least you wouldn't have to have the outlet of the pipe submerged as far to achieve the same level of silence.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back