Been away awhile back with a question

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old system has become a mess while I was away the last few months and I decided to set up a new system in my basement. There’s a ton of organics in the substrate (over feeding by my “professional” tank sitter) so I could use a fresh start.

I have an 8x4 by 28 inch tall pool I will be using as the aquarium and I will be needing a ton of flow. I came upon Bruce A Carlson’s design for simulating wave action. The overflow from the aquarium seems to be half above half below water level any plumbing experts want to chime in on how the overflow should be plumbed, is the diagram correct or is a standpipe more appropriate for the overflow?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I've never set one up but I've had a few discussions over the years with @Subsea and other aquarists. The drawings (SeaScope?) are idealized so actual measurements and dimensions you'll have to figure out. Expect to have experiment some with the plumbing diameters as it will affect the speed of the siphon that creates the surge. Your overflow will need to be extra large as it needs to drain the surge pretty fast. I would think having a non surge water level about 3"-4" below the lip of your tank should work ok.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Timfish

I never did set up “above tank” surge, but am now ready to do it, with your help.

For my application, I am more interested in feeding display tank live food from an inveterate overhead refugio’s.refugium. However, in the OP sceanario, focus is on circulation in display.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Timfish

I never did set up “above tank” surge, but am now ready to do it, with your help.

For my application, I am more interested in feeding display tank live food from an inveterate overhead refugio’s.refugium. However, in the OP sceanario, focus is on circulation in display.
Are you doing the above tank surge for fun or because you think it the best answer for surge action? If for fun...have at it..seems like a fun project. If you are just looking for wave action..may i suggest a gyre? a lot easier to maintain, looks better and can still give you some 1.5 inch waves

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing the above tank surge for fun or because you think it the best answer for surge action? If for fun...have at it..seems like a fun project. If you are just looking for wave action..may i suggest a gyre? a lot easier to maintain, looks better and can still give you some 1.5 inch waves
It’s all fun. Not interested in more circulation.

I have numerous sponges along with flame scallops and sea apples. My interest is live food from refugium. With below tank refugium, the same pump impeller that moves water up to display also shreds up live food. With above tank refugium, the siphon moves water & live food to the display tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back