Been here a while...

diana2433

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,
I have been lurking here for a couple years now. I guess it's time to say hello!

I have a 60 gallon tank (little over 3 feet wide, tall). I had a bunch of fish, anemones, shrimps and some crabs. Unfortuneatelyt about 2 years ago, we had our hardwood floors redone. I tried everything I could to prevent the atmospheric toxins from killing the fish, but to no luck. The fish, shrimp and crabs died. The anemones survied though! Yeah! Then about 8 months ago I had a malfunction with the temperature probe while I was gone for a couple days. When I got back, the tank temp was 103 degrees farenheit. So..... The tank has been a total loss... I am so upset about it... I have really only been adding DI makeup water, and scraping the sides. The entire rock system at the bottom is covered in a red looking growth/slime. I realise I need to take the entier tank and sump system down, clean it, sanitize everything, and then start over. The sheer volume of work involved and my pain over the loss of the tank is still too raw to deal with.

Thanks for reading, wish it was a better intro!
Cheers,
Brian
Same happened to us with professional rug cleaning! It’s devastating. Our lfs said we shouldn’t even open our windows in case smoke from leaves or neighbor’s cigarette’s, lawn fertilizer, etc could waft in and harm the tank. We feel like we are living in a hermetically sealed home or nearly so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back