Beginner Problems

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up my tank on October 6th it is now October 19th and the original 20 gallon cube I planned to use, cracked because of the way I had mounted the light. I'm not so disappointed though because it was an acrylic tank that had a lot of scratches that wouldn't come out with 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200 grit wet and dry sand paper AND novus scratch remover part 3, 2, or 1! I was so disappointed as I watched DIY fish keeper on YouTube do it by hand and thought it was a sure fire way to get the scratches out. Any way, I'm now running a 20 gallon long tank which I think makes for a more suitable environment for fish and coral. I added the rock I purchased from a guy on offerup that he was storing in a trashcan in his backyard, along with two other types lava rock from a reputable pet store. I used Dr. Tim's one and only and a 3 dollar chromie from a janky Pet store which I believe died of Uronema At least I am learning my lessons right away But anyway here is my tank because the diatoms are starting kick in and I would like any advice as to what to expect next and also wondering when I should do a large water change? And the percentage of water I should replace.
20191019_155027.jpg
p

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once your ammonia and nitrites are at 0 in 24 hrs your tank has cycled so you can do a large water change then and you are good to go!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up my tank on October 6th it is now October 19th and the original 20 gallon cube I planned to use, cracked because of the way I had mounted the light. I'm not so disappointed though because it was an acrylic tank that had a lot of scratches that wouldn't come out with 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200 grit wet and dry sand paper AND novus scratch remover part 3, 2, or 1! I was so disappointed as I watched DIY fish keeper on YouTube do it by hand and thought it was a sure fire way to get the scratches out. Any way, I'm now running a 20 gallon long tank which I think makes for a more suitable environment for fish and coral. I added the rock I purchased from a guy on offerup that he was storing in a trashcan in his backyard, along with two other types lava rock from a reputable pet store. I used Dr. Tim's one and only and a 3 dollar chromie from a janky Pet store which I believe died of Uronema At least I am learning my lessons right away But anyway here is my tank because the diatoms are starting kick in and I would like any advice as to what to expect next and also wondering when I should do a large water change? And the percentage of water I should replace.
20191019_155027.jpg
p
Look at that shimmer. Wow.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like your aquascape! make sure you have enough space to get the mag cleaner to pass in between that rock on the left and the glass.

let it ride for a few weeks.

once the cycle is done, all sorts of ugly will happen.

you could do a 100% water change if you wanted to at that point.

then start thinking about your clean up crew, but don't overdo it, or once they eat everything, they will starve.

J.

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should expect a few different algae blooms. Conch snails, nerite and cerjth snails eat diatoms. You should have a mix of snails to cover the different types of algae you're going o deal with. Astrea, trochus, turbos and money cowries are good mix if you only add one or two of each. They shouldn't starve if you dont add too much.

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like your aquascape! make sure you have enough space to get the mag cleaner to pass in between that rock on the left and the glass.

let it ride for a few weeks.

once the cycle is done, all sorts of ugly will happen.

you could do a 100% water change if you wanted to at that point.

then start thinking about your clean up crew, but don't overdo it, or once they eat everything, they will starve.

J.
That's another thing I am contemplating because I really want to add 2 clowns and a 6 line wrasse but I know the wrasse will eventually eat most invertebrates. But at the same time, I rather have 1 pretty fish than 20 ugly snails HELP!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the rock I purchased from a guy on offerup that he was storing in a trashcan in his backyard, along with two other types lava rock from a reputable pet store.
I'm guessing the rock from the trashcan was from another saltwater hobbyist so that should be ok. Normally we don't use lava rock in a reef tank. It can cause a lot of problems.
I used Dr. Tim's one and only and a 3 dollar chromie from a janky Pet store which I believe died of Uronema
Urenoma is possible, but it is more likely that it died of ammonia poisoning based on these numbers.
Ammonia is at .50ppm
Nitrite is at .50ppm
Nitrate 5.0ppm
Dr Tims isn't great for an instant cycle. That is why he recommends using it with bottled ammonia to kick start a cycle but still not adding fish for a few weeks.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's another thing I am contemplating because I really want to add 2 clowns and a 6 line wrasse but I know the wrasse will eventually eat most invertebrates. But at the same time, I rather have 1 pretty fish than 20 ugly snails HELP!

the only things i'd worry about with a 6 line are small hermits and shrimp.
that said, i never had a 6 line, so ... someone correct me if i'm wrong.

i have a possum wrasse in one of my tanks, and it is the most mellow fish you can imagine.

J.

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should expect a few different algae blooms. Conch snails, nerite and cerjth snails eat diatoms. You should have a mix of snails to cover the different types of algae you're going o deal with. Astrea, trochus, turbos and money cowries are good mix if you only add one or two of each. They shouldn't starve if you dont add too much.
I was thinking about picking up a few but then I also read that they are plan B for CLEANING because healthy water is more important for the issue. I want to add some aggressive fish that aren't compatible with invertabrates

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only things i'd worry about with a 6 line are small hermits and shrimp.
that said, i never had a 6 line, so ... someone correct me if i'm wrong.
6-lines are too small to bother most hermits and shrimp. They can be very aggressive toward peaceful fish, especially other wrasses. Clowns/damsels can hold their own against them.

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have some algae no matter how clean your water is. It's inevitable with a reef tank.

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the rock from the trashcan was from another saltwater hobbyist so that should be ok. Normally we don't use lava rock in a reef tank. It can cause a lot of problems.

Urenoma is possible, but it is more likely that it died of ammonia poisoning based on these numbers.

Dr Tims isn't great for an instant cycle. That is why he recommends using it with bottled ammonia to kick start a cycle but still not adding fish for a few weeks.
yeah I was like what the heck for 3 dollars I can add some movement in here and chromie are supposedly hardy fish. BUT I might also inform you that I have been taking out 3 gallons a day and replacing with fresh saltwater

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-lines are too small to bother most hermits and shrimp. They can be very aggressive toward peaceful fish, especially other wrasses. Clowns/damsels can hold their own against them.
I am also interested in a Midas Blenny. Any thoughts? I would get a small or medium one and add the small six line after he was established

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have some algae no matter how clean your water is. It's inevitable with a reef tank.
yeah if I decide to skip on the sixline wrasse it will be easier to control but at the same time I'm hoping some urchins will help control it and shrimps(haven't researched the shrimps yet)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I was like what the heck for 3 dollars I can add some movement in here and chromie are supposedly hardy fish. BUT I might also inform you that I have been taking out 3 gallons a day and replacing with fresh saltwater
I'm not sure 3 gallons a day in a tank that size will make much of a difference for ammonia. You would be removing less then 20% of what is generated. I would either add Biospira to help speed the cycle or use Prime to neutralize the ammonia if you really want a fish in it.

I would be very concerned about that lava rock. Lava rock is known to have metallic impurities. It's normally not an issue in a fresh water system but the high pH of a salt water aquarium can make it toxic. You may get lucky and not have issues but some people who use lava rock and/or lava based sand couldn't keep anything alive until it was removed.

OP
OP
amfreefer

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure 3 gallons a day in a tank that size will make much of a difference for ammonia. You would be removing less then 10% of what is generated. I would either add Biospira to help speed the cycle or use Prime to neutralize the ammonia if you really want a fish in it.

I would be very concerned about that lava rock. Lava rock is known to have metallic impurities. It's normally not an issue in a fresh water system but the high pH of a salt water aquarium can make it toxic. You may get lucky and not have issues but some people who use lava rock and/or lava based sand couldn't keep anything alive until it was removed.
do I need to drill holes in the lava rock or completely remove? I add prime to my freshsaltwater batches too

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line fish do great I have one but you want to add it last they are territorial and when new fish are introduced the 6 line will pick on that fish all the time but sometimes they will finally leave it alone it depends on the fish. Midas blenny are ***** cool go for it. blennies are one of my favorite I have scooter blenny they are fun to watch. 6 lines like to hide a lot. clown fish are well clowns and great fish to have.

Back