Beluga Reef - the pico garden

Beluga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Welcome to my pico thread.

I recently moved across the country, so a larger tank will have to wait for down the road. Instead I decided to do a pico zoa/paly garden.

Details :

MiniCompleteTank

Display - 13x7.5x8cm (780ml)
Sump - 13x7.5x8cm (680ml usable)
Total water volume - 1.46L
Lighting - 3w to 10w capable multi LED, 18x reef blue, 2x 10k white
Heating - 7.5w mini heater bar
Water movement - 130L per hour (upgraded stock pump)

This is a brief intro, I will detail maintenance and upload photos with lights on and corals open later. Also sump photo. I apologize the polyps are all closed at the moment as I am still moving stuff around in the office.

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Welcome to my pico thread.

I recently moved across the country, so a larger tank will have to wait for down the road. Instead I decided to do a pico zoa/paly garden.

Details :

MiniCompleteTank

Display - 13x7.5x8cm (780ml)
Sump - 13x7.5x8cm (680ml usable)
Total water volume - 1.46L
Lighting - 3w to 10w capable multi LED, 18x reef blue, 2x 10k white
Heating - 7.5w mini heater bar
Water movement - 130L per hour (upgraded stock pump)

This is a brief intro, I will detail maintenance and upload photos with lights on and corals open later. Also sump photo. I apologize the polyps are all closed at the moment as I am still moving stuff around in the office.

Anxious to see your garden

OP
OP
B

Beluga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The minicompletetank is an entirely self contained unit. There is a left side overflow, which drains into the sump and meets a baffle with a filter floss/mesh. Another baffle then open water where the digital thermometer probe and heater rest. Another baffle with biofoam separates the return pump from the main chamber. The return pumps up the right side and back into the tank.

I dose Brightwell Aquatics, 1 drop Nano Code A, and 1 drop Nano Code B once per week.

Temp is monitored by a digital thermometer on the outside sump wall. Heater is plugged into controllable thermostat set for 78, with an alarm at 80 degrees.

Water is not changed per say, as evaporation takes its toll. It is topped off daily with roughly 5-15ml each morning. It is changed with routine maintenance.

I change filter floss/mesh once every 4 weeks, and biofoam will be changed every 12-16 weeks.

Water parameters - Salinity at 34ppt, PH 8.2, Ammonia/Nitrite 0ppm.

Last edited:

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to figure out how to get rid of the blue in my photos, but here the zoas are opening up a bit.

Evaporation does not rid nutrients. If you only top off your going to wind up with excess nutrients fairly quickly. I don't see how you could maintain a tank that small without water changes unless you had a monster sump with well matured water, sand, and rock in the system.

As far as the blue in the photos if you have pro mode on your phone you can turn the white balance way up. Or use a cheap gel filter or lense works well.

OP
OP
B

Beluga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With only zoas/palys and green star polyps in the tank, I have no nutrients being introduced. I don’t have any livestock to feed.
A massive sump would only be required to support an equivalent bioload.

But you are correct in saying top off does not remove excess nutrients. Hence why I said water is not changed “per say”. That is not to say it is NEVER changed, however with such small volume, I try not to completely disrupt the balance of water I already have. I do of course change it when I do routine maintenance. However it is not something I do constantly.

The tank parameters have remained stable over the duration of the tanks lifetime. Perhaps I should edit my phrasing so there is no confusion. Done

Last edited:

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last 2 weeks its been close to 100 in so cal, so temp and evap issues being addressed. also building/modifying an enclosure so it looks less 'weenie'.

OP
OP
B

Beluga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last 2 weeks its been close to 100 in so cal, so temp and evap issues being addressed. also building/modifying an enclosure so it looks less 'weenie'.

An enclosure? I’m curious what you mean.

Mine has been a pleasure to setup and tinker with. Evaporation is definitely an issue, but I’ve noticed if I keep my office windows closed it reduces this a little bit. After the first two weeks my water parameters leveled out and it’s been going strong for months now. The dosing with Nano Code A & B really seems to have made the polyps perk up and their color pop. It’s such a fun little thing to have on my desk and really puts a smile on my face. I’ve kept aquariums for about 14 years now but this one has to be one of my favorites surprisingly.

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll send you a pic when its done and if it looks ok. it will kinda be like a picture frame surrounding all sides except the front obviously, to give it more of a presence, and hide a cooling fan and an inkbird heater/cooling controller.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

OP
OP
B

Beluga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup looks great, I'll be following this thread! I plan on going for a polyp garden theme as well; it's low maintenance but still fun to watch.

I love the low maintenance aspect, no major nutrients to worry about, easy to top off etc.
The thing I really enjoyed about this tank is its literally just a miniature version of a large reef ready tank. The overflows, sump etc all make it a breeze.

I've really been into SPS and Angels in the past couple years, but these zoa/palys have such color and variety I couldn't help myself. I plan on keeping it on my desk even after I set up my larger tank in the living room.

I'll keep an eye on your build/thread as well, I love the rockwork you've done already.

OP
OP
B

Beluga

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking out a new lfs today, on the hunt for blue/gold/yellow to add to the front of the pick. Any suggestions on a particular paly/zoa?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back