Benton's 45g AIO Build Thread

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done a build thread, but I figured it would be a good way to document my progress.
Starting with a C-Vue 45. Should be at the LFS (Ocean Aquatics in Redlands, CA for those interested) today, and wet by this evening. I'll post pictures as I go.

Already ordered and received lots of other equipment. Mainly Ecotech, mainly because I wanted to be able to transfer components when I upgrade tanks in the future. I'll try to update this as I go, as of right now the plan is to be able to support coral by the time MACNA comes around. Being from southern california, its only a 3 hour drive. But if my numbers say no, then I can just want for the Reefapalooza Anaheim in October.

reef gear.jpg

Not pictured is a Tunze Osmolator and 65lbs of Dry Reefsaver Rock from BRS.

OP
OP
Bentonb

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has arrived! Not Monday, but yesterday. I had tinkered with aquascsping before I had the tank, and basically created an awesome structure (the one on the right,) but I just can't seem to figure out what to do on the left. I'll probably end up changing it multiple times.

Anyways, the tank now has water in it and has cleared up nicely, only real complaint I have is that I've got a film of dust or something coating the inside glass. I'm assuming it's from the rock. I'll need to get a mag float or something, or just use my hand lol. Anyways, added fritz's turbo start and 5 gallons of already cycled water. Weirdly though even though I only added salt water from my lfs my sg was 1.21 this morning. Also my tank sits under a ceiling fan and I had quite a bit of evaporation for just one night. Might have to limit fan usage. I haven't set up my ato yet. But do have my reef link and all the ecotech stuff set up.
MVIMG_20180731_173230.jpeg
IMG_20180731_173814.jpeg

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReeferGuy96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same sand you did
I made the mistake of leaving it be for a few days thinking it was some kind of bacteria growth. Best to scrub it off the glass now, it “dries” into this really crusty substance that’s hard to remove.

OP
OP
Bentonb

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same sand you did
I made the mistake of leaving it be for a few days thinking it was some kind of bacteria growth. Best to scrub it off the glass now, it “dries” into this really crusty substance that’s hard to remove.
I'm actually picking up a sponge/scraper from the LFS today. Thanks for the info!

ReeferGuy96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, congrats!! Long waited I’m sure.
Today’s the day for me as well, going to the LFS to see what I can get my hands on

OP
OP
Bentonb

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. Everything is doing great in the tank thus far (did lose track of the yellow watchman, but found him scooting around under one of the rocks in the back.) Added some hermits, a few nassarius, margarita, and trochus snails, and a fire shrimp (just because I think they're cool) Also added a red stripe angel that is quickly becoming my favorite fish. ALSO added a 6 headed frag of Duncan that is probably the easiest coral ever. I had tentacle extension while floating him AND while drip acclimating. I've drip acclimated everything except the hermits, just tossed those suckers in because they're pretty much indestructible.
Duncan Coral.jpg

I know the picture isn't great, I've gotta figure out how the pros do it.

All my basic parameters are solid. 1.022sg and a little bit (~5ppm) of nitrates are the only "meh" parameter, but the tank inhabitants don't seem to mind.
I do, however have the "new tank uglies." I've got some brown algae on the rock and sand, pretty sure its dinos, but my snails and even the blenny are doing an ok job of keeping it in check. Might add a few more snails to bring the sand back to a white color. I've ordered a skimmer, and will probably add some a baggie of activated carbon and GFO to the filter socks. Whether or not this is actually functional, I don't know. So if someone could fill me in on that I'd greatly appreciate it.
I've added pods to the tank and regularly dose phyto.
Just trying to get my tank acceptable for Anemones and more difficult corals (and maybe a mandarin.) But that will just tank time and patience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bentonb

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.
Added two nems this afternoon. Unfortunately only got pictures during my lights ramp down period. I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow. I got a green acid rain and another that is gold/orange tipped. I forgot the name, so if someone could remind me I'd greatly appreciate it. It's greyish with orange on the tip of the tentacles.
MVIMG_20180810_193741.jpeg
MVIMG_20180810_193712.jpeg

OP
OP
Bentonb

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so fun update.
Lost 2 fish over the weekend. Added the nems Friday. Noticed the Red Striped angel not swimming through the column as per normal on Saturday, just figured it was getting used to the nems, then found it stuck to an MP10 later that evening. It didn't make it. Woke up Sunday morning to a dead starry blenny. Not sure why. Tested water, and ammonia was detectable, but not high. Maybe stress? I also added a skimmer, the noise could have through them for a loop? All the inverts are doing just fine.
Also found the watchman goby in the back middle compartment, I had to remove the MP10 sponges which were protecting the goby from the overflows and put them back on the MP10s to protect the nems. I think since then I've pulled him out of the overflow 2 more times. He is now doing much better. I turned off 1 mp10 and used the foam protector for 1 overflow and then I DIY'd another protector out of a media bag. I have two more foam protectors coming today from BRS, they just fit better.
In running 1 mp10 it's moved some of my sand bed around, I've now got hills and valleys in my sand bed which I don't think looks all that bad, it will be interesting to see what happens when I turn on the other mp10 tonight.
When I added both nems on Friday, both attached where I put them. but the orange/flame tipped one didn't stay there or anywhere I put him, or attach anywhere on its own, so in the midst of freaking out about losing fish I took him back to the LFS for babysitting. The acid rain didn't move until Monday/Tuesday when I turned one of the MP10s off. Now it's currently under the right rock structure in the cave. It is extended though, but not getting much/any light. I can't imagine it staying there once I turn the other MP10 back on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bentonb

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly update.
Lost the Duncan after it came down with what looked to be brown slime disease, which is weird, because it had been in my tank a while. It just kept taking over more and more heads, luckily I don't think my acan caught it.
Continued in next post.
MVIMG_20180818_084143.jpeg

OP
OP
Bentonb

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly update continued.
Did however add more coral/inverts and another starry blenny to the tank.
First addition of the week was a package from Aquarium Depot. Got a couple money cowries (one was DOA) a nassarius small, and a couple 10+ polyp colonies of candy apple and radioactive dragon eye zoas, (not pictured but sitting on the frag rack.)
Then added a smaller starry blenny.
Then yesterday I had an order from Aqua SD arrive. I ordered a Teal branching hammer (which I think showed up DOA, but I'm trying to save it) some zoas (chicken feet, toxic eggs, pink crystal something or other), a cool looking favia, a rock of Yuma mushrooms, and they threw it what I'm guessing is a red Monti? Not sure, so if someone could ID it for me I'd greatly appreciate it.
Also frogspawn, acid rain bubble tip and Falco hawk are all doing very well.
I've attached the most recent fts.
Still trying to figure out the best way to take pictures of coral lol.
MVIMG_20180825_175412.jpeg
MVIMG_20180825_175421.jpeg
MVIMG_20180825_175437.jpeg
MVIMG_20180825_175506.jpeg
MVIMG_20180825_175546.jpeg
MVIMG_20180825_175821.jpeg

OP
OP
Bentonb

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AAALLLLLRIGHT! Been quite a bit lol but here's a tank update.
Quite a bit has happened between August and now, lost some fish, added some fish. Lost some coral, gained some coral. Everything is stable now. I've experimented with water changes, feedings, skimmer settings, etc... I've had issues with Algae, Cyano, diatoms, you name it. Fought it off. Learned that you can't accidentally bump hammer coral, because it will curl up and die on you like a wimp lol. Luckily I've not had to deal with any pests at least to my knowledge.*Knock on wood*
Did have to deal with a falcon hawkfish eating my hermit crabs, so back to the LFS he went.

Current Stock List:
Two misbar Clowns
Starry Blenny
Diamond Goby
1 SMALL yellow tang (don't crucify me) planning on getting a larger tank within the year.
Various snails and hermits
1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Mini Carpet Anemones
1 Maxima Clam
Various Corals

One question I did have.... is there an issue with elements being too high? my CA Alk and Kh have always been really high, my LFS said its because the bucket of salt I'm using (Fritz RPM) needs to be stirred up before I mix it into the water. So I've been doing that and doing water changes weekly to see if I can bring them down, although I don't seem to have any issues because of it.

And lastly as of right now I have an addiction... I like coral. A lot. Specifically LPS and Zoas, just now dipping my feet into some sps. After the WWC timesplitter sale I had to go out and by a couple more frag racks, and have another on the way... maybe I just need a frag tank? lol

Pics were taken last night after the lights were out, turned them back on for the pic, hence things not open all the way.

20190601_195956.jpg
20190601_200021-01.jpeg
20190601_200202.jpg
20190601_200113.jpg
20190601_200154.jpg
20190601_200046.jpg
20190601_200219.jpg
20190601_200126.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back