Best fan to use with Hydros Controller

reefpat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm searching for a cooling fan that can be used/controlled through the Hydros Control 4 Drive Port, but haven't been able to find any online.
Can anyone recommend any?

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most any 12v fan would work. you would need to get a compatible connector and solder it in . Amazon has them.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Cooler Guys IP67 rated fan the size you need that is 12v. If you are not good at soldiering you can get a drive port extension cable and cut it and splice it into the fan cable using wire nuts. Make sure you get the polarity right for the fan. There are usually three wires on the fans now but only two are used in this case. The fans have a standard connector used with computers so it should not be hard to find a pinout for the connector on the fan. Here is a pinout of the Hydros connectors

OP
OP
reefpat

reefpat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Cooler Guys IP67 rated fan the size you need that is 12v. If you are not good at soldiering you can get a drive port extension cable and cut it and splice it into the fan cable using wire nuts. Make sure you get the polarity right for the fan. There are usually three wires on the fans now but only two are used in this case. The fans have a standard connector used with computers so it should not be hard to find a pinout for the connector on the fan. Here is a pinout of the Hydros connectors
Thanks for this man, really helpful!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made these using Noctua 140mm IP67 Waterproof fans. Each fan can cool a tank (~75g) several degrees!

IMG_3110.jpg

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made these using Noctua 140mm IP67 Waterproof fans. Each fan can cool a tank (~75g) several degrees!

IMG_3110.jpg
Wow really? I have a fairly loud 6" fan in my sump area that doesnt seem to cool that well. Crazy that these little 140mm fans work that well up top. What is the house temp? Maybe that's my issue. Its set to 77 in the day and only 75 in the evening.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow really? I have a fairly loud 6" fan in my sump area that doesnt seem to cool that well. Crazy that these little 140mm fans work that well up top. What is the house temp? Maybe that's my issue. Its set to 77 in the day and only 75 in the evening.
Blowing into the sump that has obstructions does not work well, it creates turbulent air that cannot cool effectively.

Blowing across the water surface works shockingly well. My home is 80, and a single fan easily keeps the tank below 79. If the fan was left on it would take the tank <77. Evaporative cooling is great! Uses gallons from the ATO though

Last edited:

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blowing into the sump that has obstructions does not work well, it creates turbulent air that cannot cool effectively.

Blowing across the water surface works shockingly well. My home is 80, and a single fan easily keeps the tank below 79. If the fan was left on it would take the tank <77. Evaporative cooling is great! Uses gallons from the ATO though
I have the whole back of the stand open to help with getting some heat out but I guess its not enough. I have some spare 120 and maybe 140mm pc case fans that I might do a temp setup to see how well it works. Ill design and print out a mount sort of like you have and give it a shot. How are you powering those? Just a small transformer?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the whole back of the stand open to help with getting some heat out but I guess its not enough. I have some spare 120 and maybe 140mm pc case fans that I might do a temp setup to see how well it works. Ill design and print out a mount sort of like you have and give it a shot. How are you powering those? Just a small transformer?
I can email you the STLs if you message me your email address.

I power and control these via the apex 24v accessory port. You can get a 12v version and use them on the Hydros 12v drive port.
The ports are programmable based on temperature so the fans only come on when you need them.

VanJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm searching for a cooling fan that can be used/controlled through the Hydros Control 4 Drive Port, but haven't been able to find any online.
Can anyone recommend any?
Did you end up setting a fan with Hydros? Looking to do the same myself by this coming summer here in FL. I like the white fans from GHL but not looking to do soldering...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up setting a fan with Hydros? Looking to do the same myself by this coming summer here in FL. I like the white fans from GHL but not looking to do soldering...
Doesn’t GHL propeller breeze line include a standard power adapter that you can plug into a Hydros outlet? Doesn’t need to be drive port.

Or, you can make an adapter if it must be drive port.

Or, you can use the 0-10v output of the Control4 to have variable fan speed on the GHL unit. (With diy adapter)

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t GHL propeller breeze line include a standard power adapter that you can plug into a Hydros outlet? Doesn’t need to be drive port.

Or, you can use the 0-10v output of the Control4 to have variable fan speed on the GHL unit. (With diy adapter)
Yes, I purchased one. Plugs into outlet on HydrosXP8 . Only on tank in summer months.

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I purchased one. Plugs into outlet on HydtosXP8. Only on tank in summer months.
Sweet. If you want an unnecessary amount of control, you can control them via 0-10v output of Control4. Minimize the amount of sound when only a little cooling is needed.
(Ex. 25% at 78.5, 50% at 79, 100% at 79.5)

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. If you want an unnecessary amount of control, you can control them via 0-10v output of Control4. Minimize the amount of sound when only a little cooling is needed.
(Ex. 25% at 78.5, 50% at 79, 100% at 79.5)
Also have the 4, what DIY adapter?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have the 4, what DIY adapter?
Propellor Breeze with Propellor Control lets you control the fans with 0-10v.

Control4 outputs 0-10v.
Propellor-Control accepts 0-10v.

Just two wires to join em, and you have speed control.

VanJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yep I'll probably plug into the XP8 and just use that on full speed until the temp gets where needed. Thought the variable speed would be nice to have as an option (maybe quieter). Might have to finally use that solder iron I bought last year. Not sure what all it would take at this point.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Propellor Breeze with Propellor Control lets you control the fans with 0-10v.

Control4 outputs 0-10v.
Propellor-Control accepts 0-10v.

Just two wires to join em, and you have speed control.
What two wires do you join to make this work?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back