Best Lighting Set up for 55 Gal?

Klewtz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a 55-Gal Tank and Today I am looking into Lights for my tank. I currently have a FOWLR tank, and I don't think Ima add coral for a while as I'm new to the hobby and trying to learn before jumping in! With that said I don't mind getting something that will support corals but also, I don't want to break the bank yet if that makes sense.

My dimensions - 48 in L x 13 in W x 20 in H

Currently looking into these options.

1) Fluval Sea Marine 3.0 LED
1718036013896.png

2) Aquatic Life T5 HO Hybrid Light Fixture (48 Inch)
1718036298344.png

right now I am leaning more toward the Fluval let me know if y'all have any other opinions on lights or if you think I'm wasting my time with these! If you think any cheaper ones would be perfect for my needs that would be great as well!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like a bluer or whiter look? Any preference for shimmer? Mounting style?

OP
OP
K

Klewtz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like a bluer or whiter look? Any preference for shimmer? Mounting style?
I think I would prefer more of a white look but maybe a healthy mix if possible. For mounting style, I really would prefer mounting on the back of the tank and not an overhang light. I also would like some shimmer effects to give more of a realistic feel. Thanks for the reply!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would prefer more of a white look but maybe a healthy mix if possible. For mounting style, I really would prefer mounting on the back of the tank and not an overhang light. I also would like some shimmer effects to give more of a realistic feel. Thanks for the reply!

I would consider the noopsyche k7 pros

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running two Smatfarm's on my 40 breeder for a couple of years, the Noopsyche K7 Pro III is I think the Noopsyche is a tad better regarding some color, both are popular budget lights for about $150 each.

I did pick up a used 36" Aquatic Life T5 HO Hybrid for $150 about a year ago. Love the combo.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I figured it's just the juggling of whether it's worth the $200 price difference :grinning-face-with-sweat:
You get what you pay for in this hobby. That $200 savings will cost you more later when you realize the light is not strong enough and needs to be replaced with something better quality.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a 55-Gal Tank and Today I am looking into Lights for my tank. I currently have a FOWLR tank, and I don't think Ima add coral for a while as I'm new to the hobby and trying to learn before jumping in! With that said I don't mind getting something that will support corals but also, I don't want to break the bank yet if that makes sense.

My dimensions - 48 in L x 13 in W x 20 in H

Currently looking into these options.

1) Fluval Sea Marine 3.0 LED
1718036013896.png

2) Aquatic Life T5 HO Hybrid Light Fixture (48 Inch)
1718036298344.png

right now I am leaning more toward the Fluval let me know if y'all have any other opinions on lights or if you think I'm wasting my time with these! If you think any cheaper ones would be perfect for my needs that would be great as well!

Any light which fills the tank will do in a FOWLR.

When you decide to add coral, you will have to upgrade to a better light.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I figured it's just the juggling of whether it's worth the $200 price difference :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Hybrid is 18" wide and your tank is 13".
Dimensions - 49.7"L x 18.25"W (front to back) x 1.57"H
Doesn't really fit afaict...

There are numerous puck style you can get but would need multiples.

Or "spectrum wise" a bar light like this Micmol. Cheaper on AliExpress. Maybe
Ap-1200.

Screenshot_20240611-080206.png

Puck wise...2 150w Nicrews plus controller is about $450...
I assume you have a center brace.

Last edited:

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 54 g tank with dimensions different from yours. And I started out with two of the Fluval Marine 3.0 LEDs on it. Along with fish, I added mushrooms, zoas, paly's, and anemones over the next few years. And all seemed to do okay under the Fluvals.

After four years with the Fluvals, I replaced them with two AI Blades. And I was surprised at the increased growth of the corals with the new lights! I have to admit I liked the coloring of the Fluvals better, but the AI's are obviously better for the corals.

Sorry, don't know anything about the Aquatic Life lights. But just wanted you to know that my experience with the Fluvals was fairly good for a new tank. And you seemed to have the right idea of this being a purchase of lights for a "starter" tank, with possible upgrades in the future.

DD0513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 54 g tank with dimensions different from yours. And I started out with two of the Fluval Marine 3.0 LEDs on it. Along with fish, I added mushrooms, zoas, paly's, and anemones over the next few years. And all seemed to do okay under the Fluvals.

After four years with the Fluvals, I replaced them with two AI Blades. And I was surprised at the increased growth of the corals with the new lights! I have to admit I liked the coloring of the Fluvals better, but the AI's are obviously better for the corals.

Sorry, don't know anything about the Aquatic Life lights. But just wanted you to know that my experience with the Fluvals was fairly good for a new tank. And you seemed to have the right idea of this being a purchase of lights for a "starter" tank, with possible upgrades in the future.
When you say the corals did “okay”, did you see growth or did they just survive? I am looking at different lights to start out some corals, probably similar to the ones you listed. I am looking for user friendly because I do not want to get real deep into corals for now, more of a fish guy but wanted some beginner corals just for looks. I can get different lights, but the fluvals just looked so easy to operate and when I read reviews they are generally really positive especially with soft corals and lps, but then people on here generally always say stay away from them. But the lights they send me too look much more complicated, like “pro” style. Your thoughts would be helpful since you sound like you started with a similar idea to mine. I have a 48” long 55ga 18 deep

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say the corals did “okay”, did you see growth or did they just survive? I am looking at different lights to start out some corals, probably similar to the ones you listed. I am looking for user friendly because I do not want to get real deep into corals for now, more of a fish guy but wanted some beginner corals just for looks. I can get different lights, but the fluvals just looked so easy to operate and when I read reviews they are generally really positive especially with soft corals and lps, but then people on here generally always say stay away from them. But the lights they send me too look much more complicated, like “pro” style. Your thoughts would be helpful since you sound like you started with a similar idea to mine. I have a 48” long 55ga 18 deep
Under the Fluval lights the mushrooms had good growth - they grew larger and multiplied many times at a fairly decent rate. The zoas and paly's multiplied, but at a much slower pace. And the RFA' s also seemed to grow slowly, but I think that's just their nature.

When I got the AI lights the growth of the zoa's and paly's really took off. But these lights didn't have much more of an effect on the mushrooms or RFA's when compared with the Fluvals.

The app for the Fluval was very simple to use - user friendly and easy to make changes. So it was terrific for a beginner like me!

The app for the AI lights is, in my opinion, very difficult to use. I've spent a lot of time trying to decipher it, but it just doesn't make sense to me. And I haven't been able to find much info on-line with good instructions for the app. I finally got a good lighting schedule set up, but I dread ever having to change that.

Hope this helps you out!

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.1%
Back