Best lighting?

spacey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Radions, XR15 G5 will be plenty. They are the best LED lights on the market period. Grow SPS like crazy. Kessils look nice if you like a lot of shimmer, but don't grow SPS nowhere near as well. They are ok for Anemones, LPS and softies but everything just takes off when you put Radions on by comparison.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply just concluded their best of lighting series, it's worth a look. No review on Metal Halides.
Some of the stores decided they will push the LEDs' deal. It's more profitable for the market in the long run because they always will bring "new gens" and we all know they don't last as the manufacturers promised. "New gens" come with the hype and people love apps and so on. It's market strategy in the name of "new technology" and they hope it's going to work. It's great to know we still have many T5 and halide manufacturers and we hope to get new quality brands coming soon with so many people going back to those lights. Also, they have excuses that some of the old bulbs aren't produced anymore. They forget we still have amazing options for metal halides in the market. People started to realize the unbeatable results from halides and/or T5s and how inexpensive is for the hobbyists in the long run just to change bulbs, cause the fixtures/ballasts last "forever". General ideas like " too hot", "need chiller" or "too much electricity" are starting to fall and people are also learning that isn't always the case. Main thing is to get the right fixture and the right wattage for the system. Qualities of light for corals aren't limited to PAR, PUR and spectrum charts, but distribution, uniformity, real UV ad IR. Results don't lie! Truth is that some people actually like the "blue LED style" and their results, which are well different from the other 2 previously mentioned, and that the market should have all the options available. We hope to see many quality halide bulbs, ballasts and fixtures coming soon in the market. ATI is still the leader of T5s and is doing a great job!! There is room of everyone at the moment.
Here are some of the reviews on halides from BRS:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to know we still have many T5 and halide manufacturers
Really? Compared to when?

We hope to see many quality halide bulbs, ballasts and fixtures coming soon in the market.

Good luck w/ that.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we hope to get new quality brands coming soon with so many people going back to those lights....We hope to see many quality halide bulbs, ballasts and fixtures coming soon in the market.

I was with you and generally agree on everything you said but this part made me kind of tilt my head a little. With the exception of hexarc Phoenix bulbs making a brief disappearance and reappearance it’s been a while since anything new has come to the table. Maybe the Hamilton 20k reformulation that happened, what, some 4 years ago?

Admittedly I don’t keep my ear as close to the rumor mill as I used to, but I haven’t heard anything about any new players or product updates in a while. Are there some more resurgences in the works?

spacey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to get into a religious debate here, but even if halides are best, which is questionable, but for the sake of argument lets say thats the case, they will still loose out purely because of convenience and longevity of LEDs. Halides and fluorescents are like the old film cameras compared to digital that took over. Sure there are those who will claim till their last day that digital will never be as good or better than analog, but the reality is that they constitute 1%, and shrinking, of the market. LEDs may not be perfect but they are more than good enough, and are getting better all the time, they are smaller, cooler and cost 75% or less to operate. Its just a different millennium. There may be a niche for halides but they will soon cost a lot more just because 90% of the manufacturing will cease. Same for fluorescents. The technology is just ancient and there isn't whole heck of a a lot you can do to improve the fundamental characteristics. They are going to be antique collectors items. Can't stop time no matter how hard you try.

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was with you and generally agree on everything you said but this part made me kind of tilt my head a little. With the exception of hexarc Phoenix bulbs making a brief disappearance and reappearance it’s been a while since anything new has come to the table. Maybe the Hamilton 20k reformulation that happened, what, some 4 years ago?

Admittedly I don’t keep my ear as close to the rumor mill as I used to, but I haven’t heard anything about any new players or product updates in a while. Are there some more resurgences in the works?
Hope, my friend. Just hope.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope to one day win the lottery. I don't actually buy tickets, but hey, I can hope! Come to think of it, the odds of me winning are about the same mathematically whether I buy a ticket or not.

Realistically, I hope that one day reefers can get over themselves enough to realize that all the popular reef lights grow corals these days. Whichever technology you pick is up to your personal preferences and tastes, and there's no "right answer" there.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all grow corals differently and that's when personal preferences could play.

Regg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank I run 8 bulb ATI and orphek bars very happy with it sps tank

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was at World Wide Corals in Orlando FL last week. They have a huge amount of Corals in the store. The only lights they used were Radions, I think Gen 4.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all grow corals differently and that's when personal preferences could play.
Can't the same be said for various "flavors" of Halides?

Or different combinations of T5's?

Just curious.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at World Wide Corals in Orlando FL last week. They have a huge amount of Corals in the store. The only lights they used were Radions, I think Gen 4.
Yes, they can't help because they have limited availability of electricity. They have only Radions because they've got a deal with the company. Doesn't mean those are the very best light to those corals. Absolutely nothing wrong with that too, just business. As long as they like and works for their application.

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get laughed out of the lfs every time I mention I just went from 8T5's to 2 250 watt MH.
They all work so pic what works for you.
If I was to pick leds for that tank I would seriously look at running 3-4 orphek light bars.
Second would be 2 used gen 4 xr 30's which I just picked up for a crazy low price that I could not pass on for my next upgrade which will be MH and xr30's.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adam at BattleCorals uses T5s, LEDs and MH. Adam said in an interview with CoralVue:

There's really no distinction between what you see under LED and what you see under halide in this case. From what I can see, like even growth or color-wise, you couldn't say "oh these are LED and they look a little muted." The results are essentially the same. If you asked me to pick out which one of these were under LEDs, I couldn't tell.

If you have LEDs, T5s and MH all over the same tank in your coral farm and see significantly different colors or growth, please share your results.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam at BattleCorals uses T5s, LEDs and MH. Adam said in an interview with CoralVue:

If you have LEDs, T5s and MH all over the same tank in your coral farm and see significantly different colors or growth, please share your results.

I've been posting here to help the newbies to understand some facts about the market, now you come with the old debate about halides X LEDs using Adam's words in that video as a proof?

You should then tell Adam to stop using his halides forever if that's really the case. Go talk to him personally and see for yourself! We know the differences exist and it's so obvious! Unless all the people posting their testimonies here through the last years, besides me, are lying about it. I know I'm not.
If you want that experience please set up a system yourself, so you can understand better. You need that confirmation, not me.

Halides are the KING of reef lighting!!! I think some of you like when I say that!
Even among halides we can see differences of it's majesty, but the supreme quality of it's physical properties reigns.
Here is the truth of what Adam thinks:
And here is a special quote from Adam himself published in that link:
"But let me tell you this, I don’t know if I’d be where I am today, without the help of this bulb. And I mean that. I still very much believe that the best colors, and by far the most aggressive growth, I ever experienced, were in corals baking under the shine of the Sakis, overdriven on an m-80 magnetic ballast. "

Battle Corals - Adam's.png

And... that little LED fixture between those halide reflectors... is that a joke or what!!???
Coral Vue interview.png

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Three orphek bars OR 2 Orphek Atlantik.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those citing adam’s testimony on lighting, we should stay fair and balanced. Yes, he loves the iwasaki 6500k bulbs. Yes they carried him far. Yes he has gone on record stating he may cease using MH entirely when he runs through the last of his stock because the difference now in what he is achieving is marginal between different tech. We can argue all we like on what we believe is best, but, when citing someone, let’s try to avoid picking and choosing bits that support one side and omitting any information that may be contradictory. It makes for clouded and dishonest arguments.

Personal opinion, I wish I had used iwasakis when I could. Would have been nice to experience that.

Also, since that original video was posted, Adams setup has grown quite a bit as evidenced in further videos. He has full raceways under each dedicated lighting tech. He isn’t blending them anymore.

20EFB30F-5196-4248-9DC2-4A5A3E4B5C5A.png

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He probably got frustrated by the fact Iwasakis went out of the market.
Many are watching the huge hype and market strategies/pressure LED companies and stores are doing on halides. Not so much T5s, why? Cause they still can sell the LEDs with T5s and make even more profit. It's all about the profit, my friends, and keeping the bigger amount of cash coming in. Again, not flaming them.. Hey, it's business! I just don't like when companies compare the technologies cause it's always with unfair and disgusting comparisons!
I think it's a bit off topic to bring his name here, yes, I do feel kinda uncomfortable, but newbies are watching and I believe that Iwasaki post says it all!!! Also, we know personal opinions through new experiences can change thoughts through time, but strong statements like the one he was so emotional about in regards to the Iwasakis show how much halides could mean to people who actually have some experience with them and want their corals to grow fast and colorful (just read that thread!!). My personal experience revealed the same!!! He wasn't playing posting that! To me he is just getting adapted to the LEDs because he thinks there will be no other way in he future (?).
We should avoid bringing the names of those companies here. It's been a while that this forum has been cool and under control in that regard and we should try to keep more like that, but we do have to post the truth for it's own sake though. I just couldn't hesitate to answer the "attack". By the way... all the attacks on halides will bring a huge response to their benefit.
I've been saying this many times here... results will be different and each person chooses what they want. Everybody knows results are different!!! That doesn't mean that we can't write our experiences and allow the newbies to hear what we have to say about the power of halides' qualities.
To set it clear: in a sense there is no light better than other when taste and excuses are the priorities, choose your type and stick with it. Just don't cry when you see someone's tank under the halides/T5s cause you choose LEDs. Ha! I see that all the time!!!!!
@Battlecorals Adam: you're more than welcome to come here and expose your thoughts! We love you and your corals! It's ok to have only LEDs over your tank, if that's the case. It's ok... No pun intended!
WWC (because it was mentioned before in this thread) has been with those Radions for a long time and apparently won't go back to halides (?). Why change if "works for their application"? No one has absolutely nothing to do with their needs, choices and preferences. Whatever! So many times the truth of Radions and market strategies were posted here about that clean Apple like PDF comparing halides, T5s and LEDs. Truth spoken! Just do your search! Seems like some people like to provoke some stirring here and there. Leave me alone! LOL!! I have the right to express myself and tell others what my experiences are. Don't wake me up, let me take my nap. LOL!! Anyways...
I think it's time to respect the halide guys when they come here to express their satisfaction over LEDs. It's happening very often lately and the good news are spreading like bees out of their haves when bears try to steal some honey.
It would be so great to have 2 o 3 companies selling new prime models of halide/T5 systems in US again. The LED propaganda is strong, but the practical truth doesn't die too easy.
Back in 2012 people would think halides would be dead by now. EEHH! wrong!

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back