Best method for high Ph

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ,
actually I'm using all for reef dosing from tropic marin for my reef tank and also a skimbreez to make my Ph higher.
But the Ph is between 7,8 at night to 8,15 day time, not so high but ok. But this was in summer with the windows open, now in winter my ph is between7,68-8,05 approximately.
How can I increase the ph without touching the calcium, alk..
I'm happy with the all for reef because it is simple and work but maybe as it is organic it is not the best way to increasd the PH vs other methods or two part? I would prefer to keep it if they is a solution but if not maybe I should switch to another method, if yes which one is the most effective for increase it is balling from tropic marin, fauna marin, aquaforest,oceamo..?
Or can I ad kalkwater even if I use the all for reef?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresher air to the room or tank, such as outside air to a skimmer inlet, a CO2 scrubber on a skimmer inlet, or ultra high pH alk additives all are useful to boost pH.

If by Tropic Marin you mean All For Reef (they make lots of products), it is on the low end for pH effects.

That all said, your pH is not a big issue if the pH does not get below pH 7.8.

THis has more:

http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresher air to the room or tank, such as outside air to a skimmer inlet, a CO2 scrubber on a skimmer inlet, or ultra high pH alk additives all are useful to boost pH.

If by Tropic Marin you mean All For Reef (they make lots of products), it is on the low end for pH effects.

THis has more:

Agreed, just keep a close eye on it.

OP
OP
Superlightman

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

THis has more:

yes I use the tropic marin all for reef , easy and works good but not for PH :-\
I use already and co2 scrubber and can't get air from outside in the winter. So I think I would have to change product, wich brands are recommended for high PH as I don't feel comfortable to make my two part my self?
Maybe also the Nopox and the zeostart I use to bring my phosphate down make my PH be not so high?
Does Kalkwasser raise calcium and alkalinity?or can I without problem ad it to my all for reef?

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use All for Reef instead of 2 part. I’ve read alot of reviews and most were great but i was not aware it was kn the low end of Ph effects. I also use Kalkwasser but alot less than the recommended amounts. Still new and experimenting with different alternatives. Id switch to a 2 part if one is recommended over the other

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The highest pH effect is from hydroxide for alk, but there are not presently any commercial two parts using it, only DIY or limewater (kalkwasser).

The next highest pH boost comes from carbonate for alk. There are many two parts using carbonate, including standard ESV B-ionic.

Lower yet are mixtures that contain both carbonate and bicarbonate. These often specify that the target a certain pH (ignore those sorts of claims).

Bicarbonate and formate types (such as All for Reef) will cause a tiny pH drop.

Calcium acetate types will cause the largest pH drop due to the organic carbon effect.

OP
OP
Superlightman

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the information I have fauna marin use Mix carbonate base for Kh and calcium chloride dihydrate,Oceamo they use carbonate, Sangokai Sodium hydrogen carbonate a-sodium carbonate -Calcium chloride dihydrate,ati with new essentials and other brands, I don't know.
I'm not sure if I should try a carbonate two part if it would be enough or directly kalkwasser ?With Kalkwater I scare a bit that it would change my calcium or alkalinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the information I have fauna marin use Mix carbonate base for Kh and calcium chloride dihydrate,Oceamo they use carbonate, Sangokai Sodium hydrogen carbonate a-sodium carbonate -Calcium chloride dihydrate,ati with new essentials and other brands, I don't know.
I'm not sure if I should try a carbonate two part if it would be enough or directly kalkwasser ?With Kalkwater I scare a bit that it would change my calcium or alkalinity.

Kalkwasser has limitations in terms of how much you can dose, but if you dose a similar amount (dKH per day) it should have the same impact pH and alk and calcium impact as a two part using hydroxide.

Back