Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this: simple 2 chambers

20181031_170418.jpg
This would make a good fuge . very similar to how mine is.

20150813_205126.jpg IMG_20160307_174448.jpg IMG_20160307_174555.jpg

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just trying to get ideas of how to set up a fuge. Do you set it up right away in a new tank or do you wait some time?
You all are throwing out great information with lots to consider. Thank you for your time.
You all are awesome
William.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just trying to get ideas of how to set up a fuge. Do you set it up right away in a new tank or do you wait some time?
You all are throwing out great information with lots to consider. Thank you for your time.
You all are awesome
William.
I would plan and setup the hardware right away.Meaning tanks, plumbing , Lighting. Rather to start stocking it would depend on what you plan to have in it.. Mine is to culture pods reduce nutrients and Well I like the Plants..

McPikie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave the cheato until you start to see a rise in nitrates, then get it in there. Mine wouldn't grow cheato for months after I first started.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would do something along the lines of the below image. Place the refugium on one end, with a tall baffle. That will increase the volume of the fuge. Tee off the return pump with a valve to control the flow into the fuge.

I would also design the set up to not need check valves. When there is a power outage, you want to minimize the amount of water that will drain back into the sump from the DT (overflow box, return piping, etc). Also the sump should have enough free space to hold all the water that drains down during a power outage.

9hpziYQ.jpg

I think this or a separate is the best way to go if under the tank..
Put the skimmer to the left of the main pump and tee off to feed a separate fuge.

Really the best is over the tank and gravity fed but that is not possible for most so the above is the best.

I would also filter the water for particulates because algae especially chaeto can become detritus traps which totally defeats the purpose.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent seen many with the return section in the middle; not sure why this would be more or less desirable than a typical setup.

sump.jpg

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could end up with air pockets in those horizontal runs of pipe.

Last edited:

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e1af7f0d-f20d-46c6-ad4d-83f59c911049-jpeg.878471

This is the sump I am looking to use. it holds 4 socks. duel inlets. The blue things hold media, I think. A place for a skimmer and pump but not really anyplace for a fuge.

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c9fbb548-ea7c-4863-86b7-da9cb8696bde-jpeg.874831

I also have this one that came with my tank but I don't think it's as good as the other.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton recommends high flow through a Refugium, I believe the theory was that ammonia would have a better chance of making it to the fuge with higher flow.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get either to work for a TINY Fuge if you use a external pump by drilling bulkhead.. Can you stack them and connect with bulkheads or put them side by side. NOT Sure there dimensions or the room you have.

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get either to work for a TINY Fuge if you use a external pump by drilling bulkhead.. Can you stack them and connect with bulkheads or put them side by side. NOT Sure there dimensions or the room you have.
The one without socks is 34" x 12" x 12". The other with socks I have not measured yet but its taller about 12" wide and I guess about 24" long. I have not built the stand yet so I could see about setting them side by side and use the 34" as a fuge.
What you think?

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a refugium above the display tank and use a power head to feed it. Run a drain back to the display.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a refugium above the display tank and use a power head to feed it. Run a drain back to the display.

U can but not a good set up in general. For one thing you will end up topping off the DT instead of the sump. Then there’s the fact that the return pump will be in the DT.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can but not a good set up in general. For one thing you will end up topping off the DT instead of the sump. Then there’s the fact that the return pump will be in the DT.
No ya wouldn't.

Refugium on the top
Display tank in the middle
Sump under the display tank

Power off sequence:
refugium is going to drain down until the water gets below the overflow teeth
it drains into the display
the display is going to drain down until the water gets below the overflow teeth
the sump catches all the excess

The evaporation still shows in the return section of your sump. You'd still top off in the sump.
refugium over tank.jpg

You could feed the refugium with the return pump or a powerhead in the display tank. Makes no difference. It all drains to the sump when the power is off. All the evaporation will be noticed in the sump - in the return section.

Obviously, this is a quick sketch - no baffles drawn. No powerhead or tee line to feed the refugium.

PaPaX6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thought. However i do not have the room above.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ya wouldn't.

Refugium on the top
Display tank in the middle
Sump under the display tank

Power off sequence:
refugium is going to drain down until the water gets below the overflow teeth
it drains into the display
the display is going to drain down until the water gets below the overflow teeth
the sump catches all the excess

The evaporation still shows in the return section of your sump. You'd still top off in the sump.
refugium over tank.jpg

You could feed the refugium with the return pump or a powerhead in the display tank. Makes no difference. It all drains to the sump when the power is off. All the evaporation will be noticed in the sump - in the return section.

Obviously, this is a quick sketch - no baffles drawn. No powerhead or tee line to feed the refugium.

Thought he was wanting to have the sump up top not split like that. You can buy HOB sumps as well but why not just hang it on the main sump then. Unless the stand has a back to it.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back