BIG AND LOUD CONTROLLER COMPARISON THREAD

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not a deal breaker or even a big issues at all.
Exactly. I think some people see "PC" and immediately shut down and walk away.

Ed, since you are more familiar with the emulation side of things, maybe you could put together a small list of specific options/links for people?
We could add it to the other thread I created with the 3 options for mac users. :)

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well alright.
I haven't seen much Reef Angel discussion here, so I'll go ahead.
I just recently replaced by Cerebra with an Apex. The Cerebra was awful in my experience, and although cool, Vertex did not think anything through when designing it.
Now, here's my thoughts on Reef Angel.
It's EXTREMELY versatile. Even more so then Apex. For instance, my Reef Angel use to control the speed of my return pump and my skimmer to correspond with the water level in the sump and overflow.
IE: I use to run a Reef ready frag tank.
I was tired of constantly adjusting the standpipe. I was able to apply a setting with a true water level sensor that if the water gets too low, turn up the pump, and vice versa to keep the drain quiet.
I was able to do the same with the skimmer.
I've also had Roberto build me custom modules to do different tasks. .
Can't do that with any other controller, period.
Reef Angel is super cheap if you want to get started. About $280 shipped. That comes with 2 float switches, pH probe, 8 outlets, and 2 dimming ports.
Compare that cost to Apex...

My Reef Angel is now running about 400 gallons of grow out. I have wireless dimming and wireless power bars, now controlled by Reef Angel.
It also controls my water change station, I have switches for just about every outlet.
There's an actual app, an online portal, a heartbeat feature that has been around for about 3 years, and even the ability to change internal memory from my phone (not unlike fusion)

Don't let folks confuse you. You don't have to be a closer to use RA. I just replaced my Cerebra this weekend and used Fusion for the first time.
While great, the Reef Angel wizard was ALOT easier and alot faster then the Fusion outlet set up.
Also, the internet is easier. All it takes is you plugging up the wifi module and typing in your SSID and password, and it does the work for you.
Plug the module into your RA, and it's instantly connected to your portal.

I have alerts for just about anything. If my ATO was on too long, if the RA lost power, how long it lost power, etc.
RA has a RF module that allows control all Ecotech products (minus the Vectra) a humidity sensor, a PAR sensor, and a custom flow sensor I designed and implemented.

Oh, anything that is "Apex Ready" can be used with RA.

The biggest cons of RA is the App.
It a bit glitchy as far as notifications go, and I don't personally like the way the head unit is designed.
I ended up pulling the portal up on a Amazon tablet and use it instead of the head unit.

I've invested about $1000 into my Reef Angel, and it does everything I can think of and more.
All the basic functions that 90% of people need can be programmed with the wizard. And a few forum searches will get you the fancy code you need for the advanced features.

Oh, and the code is a very basic pseadocode. Just like Apex.
Only, it's not as fill in the black as Apex. Takes a little bit of syntax knowledge.

Both the Apex and RA are leagues above the Cerebra. The hobby doesn't want less control by a controller that is limited by "rules."
We WANT that code level control to do the fancy crap we think about at night or on toilet!

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, also the impression on ease of use for Apex is a bit out of date. With the new Apex, along with many UI improvements, most all common tasks can be accomplished with easy to use wizards. In fact, the most common items that need configured on an aquarium are pre-configured into the Apex from the factory, just plug it in. Much of the more complex configuration you see out there is for doing things that quite frankly cannot even be easily accomplished on other systems. Also, much of the complexity of the Apex comes with having to integrate it into a home network - this is a major issue for most IoT devices due to the wide range of network configurations, home routers, ISP set ups, etc. found in today's modern home. Those systems that do not use the cloud or access outside the home are obviously much easier to set up and use - but then what is the point if you cannot access your aquarium when you are away or get alerts when something is going wrong?

If you want to see how easy it is to set up the new Apex, here is a video I did:

I would love to see a similar video from any other controller out there where you could get it set up that easily - and connect to it from outside your home.

RA doesn't have a video, but is alot faster and easier then setting up Apex (classic at least)
RAs wizard is immensely intuitive and quick.
No Fusion links, no IP address adjustments, plug up and go.
Instant access to the portal as soon as you set up your wifi module.
And better yet, no Wifi dropout with RA!
My RA has been up for about 4 years, and I can't think of a time I couldn't connect to it outside my home, due to a Wifi dropout.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Cerebra and its had to work through minor issues but the support has been great and very responsive. Vertex is giving everyone that purchased the original Cerebra the new version for free. Supposed to come out in the summer.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I'd like to point out.
While I support Neptune and think the Apex is great, it probably isn't conducive to the conversation to allow controller manufacturers continue to post in this thread.

Well, yes and no...

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, I'd like to point out.
While I support Neptune and think the Apex is great, it probably isn't conducive to the conversation to allow controller manufacturers continue to post in this thread.
As I state in post #164 I appreciate manufacturer input in this conversation. I find it to be helpful. :)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok...so I have pulled the trigger on a gently used Apex Classic and an unused GHL Profilux 3.1. It'll be interesting to see how the 2 systems compare. I'll start a new thread once I get them both, but I'm excited about what those findings will be. As stated previously, I expect both controllers are excellent pieces of equipment, but will each have their own pros and cons.

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw that.
But I'm just letting you know it's not very condusive to the conversation.
As you may have noticed, there's not any discussion from other manufacturers.
They have been invited to participate and whether or not they have chosen to participate in the conversation, I think we would benefit from their input as well.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well alright.
I haven't seen much Reef Angel discussion here, so I'll go ahead.
I just recently replaced by Cerebra with an Apex. The Cerebra was awful in my experience, and although cool, Vertex did not think anything through when designing it.
Now, here's my thoughts on Reef Angel.
It's EXTREMELY versatile. Even more so then Apex. For instance, my Reef Angel use to control the speed of my return pump and my skimmer to correspond with the water level in the sump and overflow.
IE: I use to run a Reef ready frag tank.
I was tired of constantly adjusting the standpipe. I was able to apply a setting with a true water level sensor that if the water gets too low, turn up the pump, and vice versa to keep the drain quiet.
I was able to do the same with the skimmer.
I've also had Roberto build me custom modules to do different tasks. .
Can't do that with any other controller, period.
Reef Angel is super cheap if you want to get started. About $280 shipped. That comes with 2 float switches, pH probe, 8 outlets, and 2 dimming ports.
Compare that cost to Apex...

My Reef Angel is now running about 400 gallons of grow out. I have wireless dimming and wireless power bars, now controlled by Reef Angel.
It also controls my water change station, I have switches for just about every outlet.
There's an actual app, an online portal, a heartbeat feature that has been around for about 3 years, and even the ability to change internal memory from my phone (not unlike fusion)

Don't let folks confuse you. You don't have to be a closer to use RA. I just replaced my Cerebra this weekend and used Fusion for the first time.
While great, the Reef Angel wizard was ALOT easier and alot faster then the Fusion outlet set up.
Also, the internet is easier. All it takes is you plugging up the wifi module and typing in your SSID and password, and it does the work for you.
Plug the module into your RA, and it's instantly connected to your portal.

I have alerts for just about anything. If my ATO was on too long, if the RA lost power, how long it lost power, etc.
RA has a RF module that allows control all Ecotech products (minus the Vectra) a humidity sensor, a PAR sensor, and a custom flow sensor I designed and implemented.

Oh, anything that is "Apex Ready" can be used with RA.

The biggest cons of RA is the App.
It a bit glitchy as far as notifications go, and I don't personally like the way the head unit is designed.
I ended up pulling the portal up on a Amazon tablet and use it instead of the head unit.

I've invested about $1000 into my Reef Angel, and it does everything I can think of and more.
All the basic functions that 90% of people need can be programmed with the wizard. And a few forum searches will get you the fancy code you need for the advanced features.

Oh, and the code is a very basic pseadocode. Just like Apex.
Only, it's not as fill in the black as Apex. Takes a little bit of syntax knowledge.

Both the Apex and RA are leagues above the Cerebra. The hobby doesn't want less control by a controller that is limited by "rules."
We WANT that code level control to do the fancy crap we think about at night or on toilet!
Very cool comparison. I've stayed away from RA due to the reputation you mention about needing to know programming code in order to use it. Where do you think that perspective comes from? Was it true once upon a time and now there have been improvements to make it accessible to those of us who are *cough, cough* less tech-savvy? It's good to know the wizards are that versatile.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Roger said on RC first week of February. They where just starting to ship 1/27/17 tp USA
Since we're now beyond the first week of February, has there been any word? I'm kind of curious about this one too since Tunze generally has excellent equipment. It'll be interesting to see what they bring to the game.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool comparison. I've stayed away from RA due to the reputation you mention about needing to know programming code in order to use it. Where do you think that perspective comes from? Was it true once upon a time and now there have been improvements to make it accessible to those of us who are *cough, cough* less tech-savvy? It's good to know the wizards are that versatile.
In the earliest days, there was no wizard. You had to hand code everything. I bought one of the first systems and wrote a tutorial for how to program it. The RA site linked to it. Pretty soon after the RA community started releasing tools that autocode everything for you. They're really robust now. There are iOS and Android apps and a web interface. You don't need to be tech-savvy at all anymore to use the system. It's really cool to suggest a feature and someone usually codes it up and adds it to the system in a week or two.

BillyW

FOWLR while out on the island of Oahu!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I'm back to square 1, personally I am fine with my DJ power strip for all my plugs, I just wanted the new apex head unit for monitoring my parameters. I emailed them and they won't just sell that part... I have a cube so I really don't want 4 different boxes under my tank for each thing I want to monitor, what a pain in the butt this hobby can be sometimes...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
humm interesting thread. skimmed the last few pages...so apologies if this ha been disused

I had a reef angel and as much as I wanted to love it, i just did not, I could NOT got get it up and running. had such high hopes for it.
now i bought I new controller that was trying to come to the market a raspberry pi type of thing had it for 6+ months now and have yet to plug it in. (not sure why either I was /am so excited about it) I guess i should, to see if it will do the trick. perhaps I just dont want to be disappointed a second time?? not sure there moving forward with it either :( looks very doubtful.

lets through out this question...
in today reefing environment is a controller necessary? I often find myself going back and forth. maybe because I have yet to own a working one, set up and running smoothly ...possibly and probably. but it seams like alot and every few months more and more equipment have build in wifi and there own controlling systems. as if right now my pumps and lights have there own build controller, and with most systems IF its even possible to link them up it an extra coast.

I often think that we as reefs are getting scammed with the controllers. seams like they use out dated hardware then charge top dollar for it. they build a system that almost does what you need, then they charge you extra for things IMHO that should be part of the system. like wifi - come on this is 2017 not 1999 I know ppl will say here that it because you can build your system to fit your reef. but like I said IMHO a controller should well control.

example its like shopping for a computer going in and getting a 5 year old tech then having to pay extra for USB slots, wifi ,HDMI etc.
maybe a had harsh but kinda the way I see it sometimes. would ppl accept that? heck no, but we do in this hobby for some reason.
and dont get me started on all the BS apex did right before releasing there new unit, then they release a plastic ugly insulting controller.
man I just cant get over how cheap and ugly that unit is...haha I might of even bought one, but every time i see it I cringe...

all that said I really would love to have a controller...maybe my expectations are just to high? I dont mind paying for a quality product. I bought a macbook pro 1.5 years ago it was double the price of a windows based computer but I felt it was a better unit and have not looked back since. so where are the macs of aquarium controllers? ( ha i know some one gonna jump on the mac vs PC thing)

oh and why is there not much info in the profilux 4? at least not on youtube?

and the new Tunze 7000 seams over priced for what it can do? maybe i am missing something here?

OK rant is over...

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, your best bet for functionality and price is a used Apex Classic. I run one currently and don't see me swapping out for a while. I don't need all the unnecessary bells and whistles either. A head unit and multiple EB8s and you should be good to go for years.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^I was thinking the same I really do like the fusion software. the best I have see ( online) guess I need to figure out what the classic cant do the the new model does.
looks like i have a few hrs of research ahead of me. there must be threads all about this...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back