Big Peninsula in the high desert - Cade 1800 S2/P!

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another exciting addition- A used PTZ camera from eBay.! Rather than post photos, you can check out the camera at any time, at a decent video quality, and even control the pan, tilt, and zoom. Please let me know how it works for you, especially if it doesn't!!!

New Livecam link

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another exciting addition- A used PTZ camera from eBay.! Rather than post photos, you can check out the camera at any time, at a decent video quality, and even control the pan, tilt, and zoom. Please let me know how it works for you, especially if it doesn't!!!

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE LIVE CAMERA
It’s working.. cool and weird at the same time! I wouldn’t want people being able to see in my house live! What if you were cleaning the tank in a mankini :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monthly Update:

Not a great time with the fish since last month. I lost both anthias, the multibar, and one of the clowns to an Ich or Velvet outbreak. All the details in my thread on the topic.

Moving onward - The purple tang, whitetail tang, and remaining clown are in a hospital tank and have been symptom free for a week or two. The Betta, wrasse, and mandarin are still in the DT, as I can’t catch them…..So I can’t really go fallow.

Also, updated the live PTZ cam if you care to look. Don’t judge me for the algae problem, it’s a work in progress ;)

New Cam link

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Monthly Update:

Not a great time with the fish since last month. I lost both anthias, the multibar, and one of the clowns to an Ich or Velvet outbreak. All the details in my thread on the topic.

Moving onward - The purple tang, whitetail tang, and remaining clown are in a hospital tank and have been symptom free for a week or two. The Betta, wrasse, and mandarin are still in the DT, as I can’t catch them…..So I can’t really go fallow.

Also, updated the live PTZ cam if you care to look. Don’t judge me for the algae problem, it’s a work in progress ;)

New Cam link
Sorry for your losses. Dealing with these types of issues is never fun, but stick with it! Keep pushing forward!

I just checked out the cam! The tank looks beautiful!! Keep at it!!

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is the coolest tank camera! I like how you have your tank mapped out to the different camera angles and levels of zoom. The Cade 1800 Peninsula is my dream tank, it looks incredible!

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is the coolest tank camera! I like how you have your tank mapped out to the different camera angles and levels of zoom. The Cade 1800 Peninsula is my dream tank, it looks incredible!
Thanks!

I need to change the pre-mapped spots since I‘ve made a lot of additions and moves. I think it’ll be a good way to monitor growth. Glad you like it!

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone who’s looked at my tank via the webcam can offer an opinion-

I’m considering a Fluconozal treatment with Flux RX to see if that helps clear up my algae issue. Couldn’t hurt, right?

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone who’s looked at my tank via the webcam can offer an opinion-

I’m considering a Fluconozal treatment with Flux RX to see if that helps clear up my algae issue. Couldn’t hurt, right?
Looks like GHA to me - I had success with a sea hare. Your local club or probably one of the LFS near you will likely have one they loan out. I think my LFS loaned me theirs for a $50 deposit or something.

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of new gear and new coral this week!

While the fish are in the hospital tank and doing well, I've decided to install a UZ sterilizer. Plumbed in a Lifeguard 3" 90 watt unit. After running a few minutes, it seems like the ballast has failed. Customer service seems great and they've got a new one on the way.

Also installed a Calcium Reactor - A Reef Octopus Calreact 220 that I got for a bargain on eBay. It's oversized, but I got it to fit. So far so good, and the Calc readings are starting to recover after plummeting when I added the Clam.

The sump is packed! Had to remove the Algae Scrubber for room. Might be able to get it back in there eventually, but honestly with the reemit and LifeReef skimmer, I'll probably never need more nutrient export.

I hope I'm done adding gear, as there's now nowhere to put it.

IMG_9287.jpeg

IMG_9273.jpeg

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sept 23 update:
I haven’t really made any gear changes or additions lately, and I think I’m at a sweet spot with hardware. Maybe eventually I’ll add either another Blade Glow light, or a reefbreeders and use my existing lights to supplement. We’ll see.

For now though, the tank is doing great. TONS of new livestock. SPS from @Battlecorals , @CherryCorals , some new fish - @Biota_Marine yellow tang, who’s tripled in size in just a month or two, some chromis, and lots more. If you haven’t looked at the PTZ webcam in a while, have a look now:

Live Pan / Tilt / Zoom camera

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

In Oct, I got a little over ambitious with trying to scrub off my encroaching Blue Clove Polyps. I noticed one of my Blotched anthias breathing hard....Within a few hours, ALL THREE of my very healthy anthers were dead. Tragic.

SO:

This month I've wagged chemical war (Fenbenzadol) on Blue Clove Polyps, and, like GWB's speech in 2003 - Mission Accomplished!

I feel pretty confident that they WILL pop up again eventually, but I'll be ready for the jerks.

Other than that - The only recent addition is a teeny tiny little CB multibar Angel. He's very shy, probably due to his size, but is slowly getting braver. Most of my coral have been growing well. I've been flooding the local market with RBTAs, chalice, and frogspawn frags. The SPS is only OK. My @Battlecorals frags are growing well, especially the Ultimate Table, which is super cool and growing like a weed.

DSC07529.jpg
DSC07515.jpg
DSC07512.jpg

DSC07520.jpg
DSC07548.jpg
DSC07542.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

In Oct, I got a little over ambitious with trying to scrub off my encroaching Blue Clove Polyps. I noticed one of my Blotched anthias breathing hard....Within a few hours, ALL THREE of my very healthy anthers were dead. Tragic.

SO:

This month I've wagged chemical war (Fenbenzadol) on Blue Clove Polyps, and, like GWB's speech in 2003 - Mission Accomplished!

I feel pretty confident that they WILL pop up again eventually, but I'll be ready for the jerks.

Other than that - The only recent addition is a teeny tiny little CB multibar Angel. He's very shy, probably due to his size, but is slowly getting braver. Most of my coral have been growing well. I've been flooding the local market with RBTAs, chalice, and frogspawn frags. The SPS is only OK. My @Battlecorals frags are growing well, especially the Ultimate Table, which is super cool and growing like a weed.

DSC07529.jpg
DSC07515.jpg
DSC07512.jpg

DSC07520.jpg
DSC07548.jpg
DSC07542.jpg
Looking great!

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently reintroduced the Foursquare Aquatics algae scrubber, after having removed it for the last 7-8 months to make room for the Calcium Reactor. Initially I did so in order to mitigate an algae bloom caused by the BCP die off.

It's been a few weeks, and while the algae bloom never happened in any serious scale, the scrubber hasn't really grown anything either. I do have a little GHA and a lot of bubble algae in the tank. I'm trying to very slowly settle into a ULN system to work on improving coloration on my Acros. While most of them have decent growth, the color is bit bland overall. I know it could be better.

I've also begun dosing KZ Coral Booster and FWS, along with the other additives that come in their pack. The color improvement has yet to manifest, but I do think the additives have helped heal a few newer frags that suffered burnt tips / STN after being introduced, but they're healing nicely now. Maybe that's coincidental.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumbled into this thread. Nice setup good to see other 505 folks in here. Looks like you have Leo's aquascpe from his tank. Pretty sweet rock . I am not too far from him. Looks like he is unloading lots of automation recently .. Following your journey...

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two month update -

The Fenbenzadole seems to have worked like a charm. Absolutely no clove polyps have been seen since. The main side effect of that treatment was that tons of surface area in the tank that had been covered by the BCP suddenly was exposed to full light. Of course that resulted in hair algae running rampant. I'm just now starting to get a handle on that. Refreshed my cleanup crew from @reefcleaners so I'm gaining the upper hand now. The next thing on the eradication list is the bubble algae. 3 emerald crabs are doing their best, but they've got an uphill battle.

Water quality has been stable. Carbon dosing seems to be going well. All of the coral continue to grow, some faster than others, some in spurts. All the equipment has been solid and reliable.

Overall I've just been greatly enjoying spending hours watching the tank. A little payoff for a lot of work. If you get a chance, check out the PTZ cam HERE

OP
OP
F

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update:

The reef is doing pretty good. SPS growth is starting to accelerate a bit, and the Euphyllia are growing like weeds. Everything is becoming more stable and lower maintenance as the small issues are worked out and the tank is maturing.

Still have some nuisance algae, especially the bubble algae, but that's starting to get under control.

I added an Orphek Icon light, as I found a good deal on a slightly used one. It involved making a new mount for my blades, so I moved them out to the edges and angled to reduce shading, and the Icon is over the center, where most of the SPS can benefit.

Last week I sold the MASSIVE colony of Hollywood stunner chalice, since the sand-bed was starting to look cluttered and I needed room for growth.

All good things!

DSC08241.jpg
DSC08212.jpg
DSC08172.jpg
DSC08179.jpg

DSC08253.jpg

Attachments

• DSC08234.jpg
    DSC08234.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 6

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back