Big Score today including a Lunula Trigger!!!

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I visited, for the first time, a small aquarium store in Desoto, TX called School of Fish. WOW. Was I impressed!

I am building a 800g display for some months now. The tank is complete, I am told, but needs to be shipped. It supposed to be crated soon.

I have been collecting equipment, making my aquascape and collecting the specimens that will go into the tank. I have three tanks now 75g - 125g to house the fish I have collected so far. It will be fish only, predator tank.

I had two fish on my list I found today at School of Fish. A smaller Golden Heart Trigger and a Juvi Goldflake Angel. I bought them both today!

The store had lots of cool specimens. Even Tiger Angels. But he showed my an adult Lunula Trigger. I know they look like a Picasso / Humu but as an adult they are really quite different. I was not familiar with these triggers previously. The older they get the brighter they get and they appear really elongated. A very unique look. The large one he had is a bit big for me right now, but he had a smaller one about 3.5 - 4". Having just bagged up two expensive fish I didn't know if I had the courage to get a third, but he offered me a price I could not refuse!

The Lunula is in a smaller isolation/QT tank for now with the small Goldflake. He is hiding today but was very active at the store. Again I think this is such a cool Trigger. I have a juvi Picasso and hoping they get along. However the Picasso needs to grow a bit before I will put him in the DT or he will become food for the Banana Morays!

I will try to get some more pics this week. Anyone have any experience with the Lunula Trigger? Thoughts on him getting along with the Picasso when I try to put them together? Again the Picasso is only like 1" right now, so they will be quite different in size.

In the second picture the tiny Goldflake is actually pushing him out of the hiding place he found first! And he succeeded! LOL

Within a few hours he was out and eating!

Luluna1.jpg
Luluna2.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really do have a growing list of impressive mates. Oh btw, the picasso grows what some may say, painfully slow. There is a similarity between the lunula and the picasso, in an 800g they will likely be fine. In that size tank trigger swabbles are more for entertainment than to the death, and staking out territory, which should be fine. Can't wait for pics.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really do have a growing list of impressive mates. Oh btw, the picasso grows what some may say, painfully slow. There is a similarity between the lunula and the picasso, in an 800g they will likely be fine. In that size tank trigger swabbles are more for entertainment than to the death, and staking out territory, which should be fine. Can't wait for pics.

THANKS!

Yeah I have three triggers in a small 125g that need to upgrade to the 800g. The Crosshatch Trigger pair and the Linespot. They all get along pretty well. The female Crosshatch is growing the fastest. She has grown nearly an inch in 6 months! Caught up to the size of the male. I have seen them circle around each other but never fight. Once in a while I see a frayed fin and not sure if it is the rocks or a bit of nipping.

I've heard the Picasso grows painfully slow. Not sure about the Lunula. Assuming not a fast grower but we shall see. I have 8 triggers currently. I may be done. I have been debating a Black.

I've been working nearly a year building the list of specimens. It has evolved over the months as I have learned more and picked up some local fish from other tank tear-downs. For instance I have a Majestic but it was not on my list. One came in in a cooler from another tank while I was at the LFS and I grabbed him before they put in the store tanks. He was tank raised which I alway like, but wasn't at all on my list. It's very mellow.

I didn't even know about the Lunula Trigger before yesterday. And I am starting to see some tangs I have never heard of but seem really cool. Like the Mata tang.

But my list has always been Triggers, Tangs, Angels, Wrasses and a Puffer! I would love to find a Blue Porcupine Puffer but not holding my breath.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Indian Black, which would fit in nicely in your mix. Triggers, angels, and tangs have always been my favorite mix; with a puffer and a lion. In your size tank you have many options. Always wanted a foweri tang, but never had a large enough tank, the bariene is super cool also; just a couple you don't see that often.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Indian Black, which would fit in nicely in your mix. Triggers, angels, and tangs have always been my favorite mix; with a puffer and a lion. In your size tank you have many options. Always wanted a foweri tang, but never had a large enough tank, the bariene is super cool also; just a couple you don't see that often.
They had a large (12") Bariene Tang at the store. And a 6". it definitely caught my attention. Was very calm and friendly. This store is going to be dangerous to my wallet!!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back