OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank is almost done, I noticed one thing and relayed it back.

Newtank1.jpg
Newtank2.jpg
Newtank7.jpg
Newtank8.jpg
Newtank3.jpg
Newtank6.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was that one thing?? not big enough:p;):cool:
LOL!!! It was the elec panel on the left side, but they already had it, just forgot to install it. Now tank is ready, just needs my approval. Well everyone, what do you think?

Newtank9.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Its nice to see someone else's build thread with my same exact tank :)
I know the tank is going to be heavy, but how hard was it to lift yours? I will mainly use dollies to bring it in, but will have to lift it thru the door and when I sit in up on the stand.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you have 4 people to lift? should be no prob,just guessing ,under 500 lbs?? do you know exact lbs?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have 4 people to lift? should be no prob,just guessing ,under 500 lbs?? do you know exact lbs?
I don't have a weight on the tank, but as @eslatts11 has the exact tank and already moved it in place, I figured I would ask. I am guessing 4 people as well, but I never had a tank of this size with 1/2 in glass and eurobracing to add more weight.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern now would be with Cali going back into a shutdown, what will the shipping look like. Just received a email back from Zoya and the shipping companies are still working and so CDA is still shipping. Unfortunately I now have to pay the 2nd half of the payment for the tank, I was kinda hoping they would have forgot about that part, LOL!!!;Hilarious:p;Hilarious

Last edited:

eslatts11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the tank is going to be heavy, but how hard was it to lift yours? I will mainly use dollies to bring it in, but will have to lift it thru the door and when I sit in up on the stand.

I don't have a weight on the tank, but as @eslatts11 has the exact tank and already moved it in place, I figured I would ask. I am guessing 4 people as well, but I never had a tank of this size with 1/2 in glass and eurobracing to add more weight.

Yeah it was a very tough move. My place for the tank is in my basement of my tri-level home. I first thought of bringing it in through the front door of our house and then down the 6 or 7 stairs, but the issue was our stairs have a wall about 3'-4' directly in front of the stairwell. Only way I could see us rounding the corner to slide the tank down would be to turn it onto its end and angle it down, but it quickly became pretty obvious that it won't be feasible to do that with a ~500 pound glass box.

So instead what we did, with the help of friends and family, used two 4x8 sheets of OSB board, two harbor freight dollies, 6 harbor freight suction cups, rolled it from my garage to the backyard, moving one OSB sheet in front of the other as we would advance, all the way to the back window. We popped both window panes out and thankfully the tank fit perfectly through on its side. I made a 2x4 jig, wrapped it in leftover carpet scraps and affixed it to the window sill. We then placed the tank on that jig and slide it on through.

Once the tank was halfway in the window, and we started rallying up the men to get under the tank to support the weight transition off the window sill, we quickly realized that there's no way this is going to work. With a tank this big there's only so many places for each person to grab on to, even with suction cups. And 4 people alone can't support that immediate weight transition off the sill. So my father-in-law had the great idea to move the STAND to the window and pull the tank through right onto the stand. We used a dolly on top of the stand to kind of roll it on down into place. It worked like a charm!

From there we were able to use everyone to lift both tank + stand over to its final location. With the tank + stand together, people were able to grab onto much more to lift instead of just having to use suction cups.

Fortunately, my wife was able to get quite a few pictures of us doing the move. If anyone wants to see them they are on my build thread, link in my signature.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was a very tough move. My place for the tank is in my basement of my tri-level home. I first thought of bringing it in through the front door of our house and then down the 6 or 7 stairs, but the issue was our stairs have a wall about 3'-4' directly in front of the stairwell. Only way I could see us rounding the corner to slide the tank down would be to turn it onto its end and angle it down, but it quickly became pretty obvious that it won't be feasible to do that with a ~500 pound glass box.

So instead what we did, with the help of friends and family, used two 4x8 sheets of OSB board, two harbor freight dollies, 6 harbor freight suction cups, rolled it from my garage to the backyard, moving one OSB sheet in front of the other as we would advance, all the way to the back window. We popped both window panes out and thankfully the tank fit perfectly through on its side. I made a 2x4 jig, wrapped it in leftover carpet scraps and affixed it to the window sill. We then placed the tank on that jig and slide it on through.

Once the tank was halfway in the window, and we started rallying up the men to get under the tank to support the weight transition off the window sill, we quickly we realized that there's no way this is going to work. With a tank this big there's only so many places for each person to grab on to, even with suction cups. And 4 people alone can't support that immediate weight transition off the sill. So my father-in-law had the great idea to move the STAND to the window and pull the tank through right onto the stand. We used a dolly on top of the stand to kind of roll it on down into place. It work like a charm!

From there we were able to use everyone to lift both tank + stand over to its final location. With the tank + stand together, people were able to grab onto much more to lift instead of just having to use suction cups.

Fortunately, my wife was able to get quite a few pictures of us doing the move. If anyone wants to see them they are on my build thread, link in my signature.
I went thru your thread and saw how you did it, thankfully I don't have to go thru as much. You all definitely had your hands full. I just have to bring it in the door and take a right to the next room.

By the way, your tank is looking great!!! I thought about not going with sand, but in the end I just love the look.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Took 4 guys to lift mine, currently my tank is sitting on furniture dollies so far it’s worked well.

eslatts11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru your thread and saw how you did it, thankfully I don't have to go thru as much. You all definitely had your hands full. I just have to bring it in the door and take a right to the next room.

By the way, your tank is looking great!!! I thought about not going with sand, but in the end I just love the look.

You lucked out on that one then, good tank placement! Thank you :)

I honestly love the look of sand too. So much so that when I started my tank I did do about a 1.5" sand bed mix of Tropic Eden miniflakes and mesoflakes (2.0mm & 2.7mm). After 6 months of it running, I finally added coral and turned the lights up a fair amount. I was having issues with the flow turning up sand all over my rockwork, probably half my fault for choosing too small of a sand size. Then I noticed the dumpster toilet that it quickly became and thought to myself, im going to have to clean this thing every time I do a water change and there are area's that I won't be able to get to with a long tube. Just like a few weeks ago actually I moved all the water out of the tank and rockwork into several 32gal trash bins and sucked the bottom clean!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy with the first corals frags I moved into the 40b, so now I just moved my TSA Black Widow blastos, my BSA Tata Twister blastos, and yes that is the politically correct version of the name, and my AquaSD Sunfire plate to the 40b. I have one more high end frag to move, just need to move some of the rock around as its my TSA Black Panther torch, aka NY Knicks, and it has 12 plus heads. The BSA blasto is at 20 or so heads. The TSA Black Widow blasto is at 7 heads.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back