Billys comeback 80g shallow rimless build

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh mowgli! Hes doing great. Hes sleeping with his sister at this moment. He's starting to come into his own. It's great because he was very sick when we found him.
That’s awesome! My wife and I rescued two kittens a year and a half ago. I love them! I’ve never had a cat before but they are so cool! Glad to hear you got him healthy again. Well done.
nice tank too! Haha

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! My wife and I rescued two kittens a year and a half ago. I love them! I’ve never had a cat before but they are so cool! Glad to hear you got him healthy again. Well done.
nice tank too! Haha
Thank you its been a roller coaster of emotions haha. I love cats and dogs and pretty much everything! My gf and i live in a large complex and have rescued several litters of kittens, got them healthy/shots and found them homes. A few have decided to stay. We live trap, spay/neuter and release adult feral cats to try and do our part curbing the population. I honestly say over the the last few years theres been a big decline.
Thankfully the tank is finally getting to where I want it. Buying an established tank is a bad idea, at least for me. I should of collected equipment and started fresh. Me changing things to what i wanted was a detriment to the tank for sure.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your tank !
I also bought a 80 gallon rimless tank that’s now going on about a year of running .
Great looking setup! I’m sure you will enjoy .

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your tank !
I also bought a 80 gallon rimless tank that’s now going on about a year of running .
Great looking setup! I’m sure you will enjoy .
When i left the hobby this was what i had wanted. I jusy wish the stand was slightly higher. What do you have for flow? I've been finding it hard to decide on coral placement do you notice that?

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i left the hobby this was what i had wanted. I jusy wish the stand was slightly higher. What do you have for flow? I've been finding it hard to decide on coral placement do you notice that?
I have a 1050 eflux dc return pump that I run about 60% and 2 eflux 660 wave pumps connected to Bluetooth that I initially installed on back wall but after watching flow patterns and stagnant areas I moved to side and has worked better for me and my rock work design.
One thing I didn’t think about at first was water changes and the height of my coral growth on my rock work . A 16 gallon water change is exposing my montipora digitatas some so I was thinking about moving .
All in all This tank is my favorite .
I have the deep blue marching cabinet that
Was sold with tank.
Yes, I wasn’t used to tank being lower in height at first but i really like it now for several reasons.
First , it’s much easier to get my hand in Tank and work on stuff inside tank with having a step ladder like on my 90 gallon setup.
Second, I can look down from the above at inhabitants and enjoy a different perspective
Third, I can enjoy tank more when sitting down without having to look up so much and I just like the low profile and look of tank. Not just a ordinary tank.

4 things you might want to think about getting from my experience
1) getting a screen top so your fish won’t jump out. I’ve had 2 jump out within a year and was lucky I was there when it happened . This happened when I turned lights off and fish were not used to water changes I assume .
2) checking your par values since it is a shallower tank. I haven’t done this yet but I lost a few corals I think to strong lighting
I am going to rent a par meter to check so I don’t have to assume . I have 2 hydra 26 HD’s on my tank that I have them setup to equal Radion’s setup.
3) Live rock design

4) evaporation rate is over a gallon a day . Definitely got a Ato setup

73312956-3BA7-4E54-830D-B52281CE724E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1050 eflux dc return pump that I run about 60% and 2 eflux 660 wave pumps connected to Bluetooth that I initially installed on back wall but after watching flow patterns and stagnant areas I moved to side and has worked better for me and my rock work design.
One thing I didn’t think about at first was water changes and the height of my coral growth on my rock work . A 16 gallon water change is exposing my montipora digitatas some so I was thinking about moving .
All in all This tank is my favorite .
I have the deep blue marching cabinet that
Was sold with tank.
Yes, I wasn’t used to tank being lower in height at first but i really like it now for several reasons.
First , it’s much easier to get my hand in Tank and work on stuff inside tank with having a step ladder like on my 90 gallon setup.
Second, I can look down from the above at inhabitants and enjoy a different perspective
Third, I can enjoy tank more when sitting down without having to look up so much and I just like the low profile and look of tank. Not just a ordinary tank.

3 things you might want to think about getting from my experience
1) getting a screen top so your fish won’t jump out. I’ve had 2 jump out within a year and was lucky I was there when it happened . This happened when I turned lights off and fish were not used to water changes I assume .
2) checking your par values since it is a shallower tank. I haven’t done this yet but I lost a few corals I think to strong lighting
I am going to rent a par meter to check so I don’t have to assume . I have 2 hydra 26 HD’s on my tank that I have them setup to equal Radion’s setup.
3) Live rock design

73312956-3BA7-4E54-830D-B52281CE724E.jpeg
This is my final aquascape. I refuse to keep messing around with it. It looks better on person. Great depth.
Currently ive got 2 mp40s on on back and one on side near overflow. I like the flow but it blows my sand everywhere. I've yet to find the mode i like. They are way too much for the tank so I've got them turned down.
Have to had bulkhead issues at all? My main line is leaking and im going to have to replace. Any suggestions?

20191101_221357.jpg

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my final aquascape. I refuse to keep messing around with it. It looks better on person. Great depth.
Currently ive got 2 mp40s on on back and one on side near overflow. I like the flow but it blows my sand everywhere. I've yet to find the mode i like. They are way too much for the tank so I've got them turned down.
Have to had bulkhead issues at all? My main line is leaking and im going to have to replace. Any suggestions?

Thanks for updated shot .That scape looks great!
I thought about adding another pump to back wall but it appears I don’t have any dead spots now and my corals have reacted nicely . Aquascape was a little tougher in this tank for sure.
I bought my tank used as well. I replaced all plumbing and bulkhead fittings when I put back together. I had to really clean over flow very well from previous owner . I was worried about it leaking with all the buildup at seal.
I haven’t had any issues with any leaks after a year. I wish I could help more on that ?

20191101_221357.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Watch your skimmer when adding chemiClean as it can send skimmer nuts. I turn skimmer off for a day or two during treatment

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the new WWC mega store and holy that place is off the wall. Industrialized aquaculture at its finest. I ended up trading two heads of my frogspawn for 3 blastos. I ve got a serious love for acans, blastos and most members of that family. I hope they come out tomorrow and show me what they got. I had wanted to get a small torch but after seeing these prices i changed my mind. I could fill a lot of tank real estate with those funds. Ill post tomorrow some pictures and whatnot to show my progress.

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dinos of some form popped up. Seemed to happen nearly over night. Read up the best I could and went to work. Blacked out the tank 3 days and started to feed more to raise phos and nitrates. I did this so other algae would compete with the Dinos for food. I started to run Rox. 08 in my reactor and changed my filter socks daily. It seems like they have been beaten back to nearly gone. I am going to add a UV Sterilizer to my sump to hopefully keep them at bay. I also skipped water changes. So far so. Good will update soon.

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my current list of fish:
Royal gramma
Bicolor blenny
Blue green cromis
Melunarus wrasse
Exquisite Firefish
Snowflake clown male
Ocellaris clownfish female

I think that's it, but I have been wanting to add another wrasse. More than likely a fairy of some sort. It's going to. Be awhile before I do though. I just want to add something interesting to the mix and I'm having hard time deciding.

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I've ever been a person to chase numbers but it doesn't seem like my tank ever actually uses any calcium or alk. My calcium has been high at 524 or near there for weeks. My alk had been around 10.2 for quite some time and this week dropped to 9.0. My ph also swings between 7.4 and 7.8. I realize that my tank doesn't have a huge demand being that I have mostly frags in an 80g tank. I also noticed that I don't really have any Coraline growth which I've had in my previous tanks. Is there something that could be holding me back?

OP
OP
gotmesalty77

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think my refugium is a bit too efficient. Started to feed a little bit more and everything really took off. Water parameters staying pretty stable. Corals look great except the wwc lemon lime favites I accidentally bleached.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back