BioBalls Vs Sponges/Carbon Vs. Floss

  • Thread starter Thread starter Krimzon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Krimzon

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2014
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now i have the stock bio balls and filter media on my biocube 14. I've heard sponges and carbon do a way better job when keeping corals(mostly soft, lps, montipora) and don't produce as many nitrates(myth?) What experiences have you guys add with either and what should I do? Should I just leave the balls and just buy some floss instead of the cartidge?
 
carbon and bioballs play different roles. Bioballs provide surface for nitrifying bacteria. Carbon 'sucks' chemical impurities from the water column. Many people recommend nowadays to forego the bioballs and keep carbon. Floss is recommended only if routinely maintenance (washing) is given.
I keep SPSs with carbon and no bio-balls or floss. Maybe 3-5 days of a sock every month.
 
carbon and bioballs play different roles. Bioballs provide surface for nitrifying bacteria. Carbon 'sucks' chemical impurities from the water column. Many people recommend nowadays to forego the bioballs and keep carbon. Floss is recommended only if routinely maintenance (washing) is given.
I keep SPSs with carbon and no bio-balls or floss. Maybe 3-5 days of a sock every month.

So just carbon then? What should i put in the bio balls column?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new