BioCube Game Plan

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been thinking of starting a high end reef tank in the 29 gallon biocube. I am thinking of two Mocha Storm Clownfish and a small yellow tang will be the only fish in the tank. Maybe a Maxima Clam and eventually some high end acros. I would start the tank with some live rock, but not live sand. Thinking of using the Carib Sea Aragonite formula and going to try the Tropic Marin pro reef salt. Going to light it all with one Kessil 360WE. I want to run a sump and not too keen on the add on overflows. I will need to build a new stand to match the furniture in the den where it is going so I will have more space to to build a bigger sump than what is out there. This is what is going on in my head now while I sit at home bored. Few questions I have are:

1. Are the biocubes tempered glass?? ( I think not because I have seen people drill them)

2. Where would you drill the tank? bottom of the tank for a durso style drain or back side bottom corner?

3. I never drilled glass before.....is it just scary or scary and hard to do?

4. Finally...how do I tell the wife this is happening?

Boonz28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question, why do you want to use the biocube with a sump rather than starting with another tank which isn’t AIO? Already have the biocube I assume. If I were drilling for a sump I think I would probably drill the plastic in the back. I have a Biocube 32 which I’ve upgraded a few things on and it works just fine for growing sps, and a clam. If you wanted to keep the lid you could go with a Steve’s LED light upgrade, that helps a ton with evaporation.

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, why do you want to use the biocube with a sump rather than starting with another tank which isn’t AIO? Already have the biocube I assume. If I were drilling for a sump I think I would probably drill the plastic in the back. I have a Biocube 32 which I’ve upgraded a few things on and it works just fine for growing sps, and a clam. If you wanted to keep the lid you could go with a Steve’s LED light upgrade, that helps a ton with evaporation.
^ this.... I just got the steve's LED upgrade about a month ago because I wanted to get some SPS. So far they are all encrusting on their plugs nicely, and the plating monti has almost doubled in size

OP
OP
C

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually broke the lid to the cube and I have an extra Kessil. This was my first tank and just thought it would be neat to fire it up again with a little upgrades. I want to have this on its own and not tie it in to my 250 set up at all.

Boonz28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They’re definitely cool little tanks and adding a sump would give you some extra volume plus room for a real skimmer or filter roller if you wanted it. If you decide to add a sump make sure you document your progress here so we can all follow along :)

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adding a sump could be pretty cool. Could double the water volume pretty easily. I'd be a little nervous about drilling that thing, but plenty of people have made it work.

Boonz28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you drilled the return pump chamber (to go down to the sump) then the first two AIO chambers would still be functional. Might work out pretty slick for filter floss, media bags, heater, etc. Less clutter in the sump that way.

OP
OP
C

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I started the new stand today. I used 13 ply plywood so there was no need for any corner bracing. Going to spray the stand white so no need for solid wood. I normally cut my parts on the CNC machine, but these were mostly rectangles and the table saw worked just fine. The bottom needed a bit of cutting on the bandsaw and some finish sanding. After the sanding and assembly everything looked to fit just right. I did glue up some 2" cherry for the top and will cut that out this week.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.41.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.41.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.42.08 PM.png

All I need to do is create a sump that fits into this area. Easier said than done, but I think I can make it work. Plus I need to make the face Frame and the door first.
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 10.42.29 PM.png

OP
OP
C

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a build page over in the DIY section of the forum, but here is a little update of this project. Did a mock
up of the sump as well.
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 1.00.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 1.00.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.17.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.17.08 PM.png

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only complaint I have about what you stated as your game plan is the tang. Unless you plan to move it to your larger tank in the next few months, a 29 gallon is much too small to be housing any tang long term. That said, might I interest you in a smaller yellow fishie? Like a midas blenny or yellow assesor? Or heck, a Royal Gramma. Get yellow and purple with that one.

OP
OP
C

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I do have a master plan for the yellow tang. I actually want 3, but my purple tang is a *******. The plan is to house the tangs in this tank until they grow. My LFS gets them very very small. Then I will trap the purple and rehome him for a month or so in my QT and hopefully all of them go back in the big tank to live happily ever after as best friends.......I hope.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I do have a master plan for the yellow tang. I actually want 3, but my purple tang is a *******. The plan is to house the tangs in this tank until they grow. My LFS gets them very very small. Then I will trap the purple and rehome him for a month or so in my QT and hopefully all of them go back in the big tank to live happily ever after as best friends.......I hope.
No worries then!!! Well... I guess there are still worries if the Purple still continues to act like a jerk. But otherwise no worries!!!

Back