Biota Captive-Bred Potter's Angelfish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

VLR3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of trying to crack the Potter's Angelfish our amazing team in Hawaii and the Oceanic Institute has successfully captive-bred the Potter's Angelfish. I'm incredibly thankful for the support of all of our vendors, hobbyists, and friends around the industry who have made this feat possible. This first batch is going out exclusivly to our stores but we are working on more batches to have them readily available.

Kent Glover  (6).jpg

What’s the price point?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, $999 - Supply and demand I guess.

This is the first batch that is available to the public in limited quantities. Hard to put a price point on it while they work through a more normal production cycle. Yellow tang prices came down after they got the production adapted to after the Hawaiian ban.

Who knows really. I don't. Price seems reasonable based on this. Also it is a joint venture with the university so that could also be a reason.

I know a lot goes into breeding these, but hopefully Biota will set a better price and sell them directly to customers, like their yellow tangs.

We just have to give them time. If the Potter's are frisky and the process is reliable and sound it may be as you say.

It is a beautiful fish though.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first batch that is available to the public in limited quantities. Hard to put a price point on it while they work through a more normal production cycle. Yellow tang prices came down after they got the production adapted to after the Hawaiian ban.

Who knows really. I don't. Price seems reasonable based on this. Also it is a joint venture with the university so that could also be a reason.

We just have to give them time. If the Potter's are frisky and the process is reliable and sound it may be as you say.

It is a beautiful fish though.
I know - I need to temper my sticker shock with gratitude - love that fish. I'll wait til the price comes down - can't rationalize that price unfortunately, though I'm sure they've earned it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of trying to crack the Potter's Angelfish our amazing team in Hawaii and the Oceanic Institute has successfully captive-bred the Potter's Angelfish. I'm incredibly thankful for the support of all of our vendors, hobbyists, and friends around the industry who have made this feat possible. This first batch is going out exclusivly to our stores but we are working on more batches to have them readily available.

Kent Glover  (6).jpg

Cant wait for these to come out!
I love the Potters but the price tag from WC specimens has put me off and now it’s just a waiting game.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great achievement.

Should I assume these would not cohabit nicely with a (Biota) Coral Beauty?
It’s not easy to say it for definite - It’s like mixing large angels, we don’t usually say no to it but many of us have two or more together…

I wouldn’t say it’s impossible but it’s also likely it won’t work. If you can get hold of an acclimation box and maybe another Dwarf Angel (and your tank is 4’+) it may work.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ready for this: $2400 plus shipping please........for the 3 for a fish that cost $20 each in Ohau before the Hawaii ban.

They are actually $700 US right now. Also only a couple batches have been released. You, nor I, know the effort to bring new fish to market nor the effort it takes to get the fish ready to ship, survive, and to a hobbyist display. Maybe they will be able to bring the price down over time like they did with the Milletseed.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter what was 2 or more years ago it matters what is today. If you want some Hawaiin fish you have to go the route of captive bred/raised. If the price is high or uncomfortable then you don't.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ready for this: $2400 plus shipping please........for the 3 for a fish that cost $20 each in Ohau before the Hawaii ban.
On average pre-ban Potter's were between $95-200 pending on quality of the fish and sizing unless you're going back decades. But what we sell aren't wild collected fish. It's an entirely different product given they're cared for for months, eating prepared diets, and actually bred for your aquarium. That doesn't include the years of research it takes to breed a new species.

I understand the pricing isn't for everyone but the fact is we're breeding a species that is now rarer in the industry than interuptus and golden angelfish. As mentioned above it's also in it's breeding infancy and we've already lowered the pricing as we've made strides in the past few months.

Love us or hate us we're just here to breed fish and give hobbyists access to sustainable options for their reef.

Last edited:

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On average pre-ban Potter's were between $95-200 pending on quality of the fish and sizing unless you're going back decades. But we aren't wild caught fish people and what we sell aren't wild collected fish. It's an entirely different product given they're cared for for months, eating prepared diets, and actually bred for your aquarium. That doesn't include the years of research it takes to breed a new species.

I understand the pricing isn't for everyone but the fact is we're breeding a species that is now rarer in the industry than interuptus and golden angelfish. As mentioned above it's also in it's breeding infancy and we've already lowered the pricing as we've made strides in the past few months.

Love us or hate us we're just here to breed fish and give hobbyists access to sustainable options for their reef.
Earlier this year I bought a harlequin tusk from you. Indeed it was a bit more expensive than other online vendors, but I didn't have a problem because I knew it was going to be a Aussie and I knew it wasn't caught with cyanide (which is my biggest fear). He's doing great and I'm glad I made the purchase.

I read on your page at one point that you study the breeding habits of the fish, and actually collect the eggs after fertilization. I have no problem with this because 99% of hatchings die, but it's not actually breeding. The eggs you leave in the wild have just as much of a chance at survival, but the ones you collect have a much higher chance.

Have you actually been successful in getting the fish to breed in captivity?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The have both captive bred and captive raised. Just like ORA and Bali and others I'm sure I left off. Captive bred egg layers have the best chance such as the damsels, marine beta, and of course the mollie millers. I'm not saying that is easy just noting what I would guess is captive bred possible. Three examples off the top of my head.

As you noted above research and study.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this year I bought a harlequin tusk from you. Indeed it was a bit more expensive than other online vendors, but I didn't have a problem because I knew it was going to be a Aussie and I knew it wasn't caught with cyanide (which is my biggest fear). He's doing great and I'm glad I made the purchase.

I read on your page at one point that you study the breeding habits of the fish, and actually collect the eggs after fertilization. I have no problem with this because 99% of hatchings die, but it's not actually breeding. The eggs you leave in the wild have just as much of a chance at survival, but the ones you collect have a much higher chance.

The vast majority of our fish are bred in captivity, the only species we produced from collected eggs were the larger public aquarium species like blue line sea bream, fusilers, and a few small batches of clown triggers. We do that for those species because getting them to spawn in captivity is fairly unlikely since they form massive spawning aggregates seasonally.

We also list if they're tank raised (wild collected eggs) or captive-bred (captive produced eggs w/ broodstock) on our availability lists and sites. There are now a few companies growing out wild collected post-larval or juvenile fish and classifying them as tank raised or more recently "Ranching" coined by QM and TMC where it's just collection of young fish and grown out.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are now a few companies growing out wild collected post-larval or juvenile fish and classifying them as tank raised or more recently "Ranching" coined by QM and TMC where it's just collection of young fish and grown out.

This one I didn't understand. Not from your comment but rather how they are going about it and reselling. I'm not sure this would appease the full stop ban folks as it is still taking it from the ocean. Another topic though for sure.

Personally speaking - keep up the great work. I am proud to be biased and love my Biota fish even though my pink square anthias are poo heads to my new milletseed :) Fish is doing amazingily well though and growing. A bit of a coral nipper though as it relates to SPS but nothing destructive.

Keep up the amazing work and support you all do over there.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one I didn't understand. Not from your comment but rather how they are going about it and reselling. I'm not sure this would appease the full stop ban folks as it is still taking it from the ocean. Another topic though for sure.

Personally speaking - keep up the great work. I am proud to be biased and love my Biota fish even though my pink square anthias are poo heads to my new milletseed :) Fish is doing amazingily well though and growing. A bit of a coral nipper though as it relates to SPS but nothing destructive.

Keep up the amazing work and support you all do over there.
It'll be interesting to see for sure, I first learned about it from the RB article mentioning it here: https://reefbuilders.com/2023/09/18...ect-saltwater-fish-for-the-aquarium-industry/

but I believe it's similar to what Sustainable Aquatics was doing with Sustainable islands years ago: https://sustainableaquatics.com/sustainable-islands-facilities/

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back