Biota Yellow Tang review

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh I've had 3. 2 of 3 were perfect cosmetically. The 3rd you only notice if your heads in front of the tank and you stare at it. If there was ample supply of them I don't buy they wouldn't be cashing in on it. Their depth isn't gonna be different from other fish already collected.
Yellows in Indonesia are at different depths to that of Hawaii, they’re two different groups of yellow tang, they won’t be the exact same.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been hearing that for a while. There are a ton of rumors about future availability of some fish. I heard over a year ago to expect yellow tangs to hit two hundred dollars and while they did jump a significant amount in price on the retail end they still aren't close to 200 dollars (excluding maybe larger sizes). I'm just saying from my point of view it looks like yellow tangs are just as available as any other time, and maybe one day sometime soon the stock of them will run out, but for now I'm not too worried. It'll be interesting to see.
I live in Maine and the Yellow Tangs available are $200!

SEWIreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture from what I understand the captive yellow don’t have the color of the wild caught yellows.
Here is my Biota Yellow tang. I adjusted the lights to daylight spectrum for the first picture- this is not how I normally run my lights and getting a picture of yellow with all the blue light wasn't very accurate. The second picture is taken under my regular lighting schedule.
IMG_8169.jpeg
IMG_8173.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Biota Yellow tang. I adjusted the lights to daylight spectrum for the first picture- this is not how I normally run my lights and getting a picture of yellow with all the blue light wasn't very accurate. The second picture is taken under my regular lighting schedule.
IMG_8169.jpeg
IMG_8173.jpeg
I don’t know if it’s just me but the head doesn’t seem right after seeing another WC 3-4” indonesian yellow today.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tfeeken any updated pics of yours? I’m not finding too many pics of those that’s are older than just arrived
We post pictures and videos from customers often on our facebook and instagram pages. We follow on social media any of our customers we can find. Please feel free to tag us in your Biota fish pictures, and we will reshare! We love to watch them grow and thrive. Some of our favorites are Yellow Tangs named "Lello," "Rocket," and "Pikachu" because their humans post updates of them regularly, and we appreciate it so much.

- Felicia M.
Biota social media manager

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verify ship dates with Biota. Right now I'm getting the runaround for an accurate ship date. It's now starting to feel like "we'll ship it when we can." I'm a little ticked because they told me it would be here Wednesday, cleared my schedule to receive it, then get a message saying sorry, we didnt send it. Now, i'm concerned if the fish are being properly cared for if they don't even have the staff to ship. Yeah I know, omicron... but dont mislead people.. @Biota_Marine edit- got another email. They’re trying their best with a short staff.
We're so sorry about the delays the last couple weeks. We were dealing with COVID related staffing issues. Most of us are recovered now, and shipping is back on schedule. Please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] if you need anything.

-Felicia

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is different. Essentially puts into effect the law that has been passed years ago but has been under legal dispute. The new ruling as of last week has banned any collection in Hawaii pending completion of an environmental impact study. Also a little different than the previously passed ruling to stop issuing new permits after the current ones expire. This is a brutal ruling for only a select few people that will have almost no impact on the environment.

There are only 40 commercial aquarium collection licenses in Hawaii and somehow the state decides that the action of those 40 specific people are responsible for destroying the Hawaiian ecosystem. They still have more than 3,000 commercial fishing licenses that are active, who I would imagine kill more reef fish in a year than those 40 could hope to collect in a lifetime. I'm sure they also have a few hundred locals in the water every day spearing as many fish as they can without the requirement of any license. God forbid those 40 licensed collectors take a few live fish to make a living.
I also believe most yellow tangs were not collected in this region anyway though so I don't anticipate much of a change in supply or price. Hopefully won't be much of an issue for us.
It is reduculus! I can get a box of frozen reef fish including tangs for food from Hawaii.. but they cant export live ones... Grrrr.. And all us reefers are killing the reefs... Riiiiiight! Climate change and excess nutrients our destroying reefs as well as human bacterium septic fields near the coast.. but they wont ban either of those..

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one from Biota back before the ban and it did gangbusters for 12-14 months when we lost it to lateral line, the one and only time I have seen this.
Ordered a second and it took off, was transferred to a tank where it took some abuse, fought back recovered, established its place in the hierarchy and is the picture of health. If I had space in a tank for another, would be all in.
Keep it up Biota! am proud of my hobby that we can support your hard work and innovation.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I stumbled across a YouTube video titled "Captive Bred Fish and Disease with Felicia McCaully (Biota)" in which Jake from Biota talks about HLLE (it's towards the end) in the captive breed Blue Tang and he says they think it's has something to do with Vitamin D as the ones they raise outside in the sun don't have it and the ones they raise inside under LEDs do.

realistreef23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is a regional thing or what but besides prices increasing a little for wholesale there hasn't been a shortage for us for yellow tangs. In fact a local distributor will sometimes have upwards of fifty on hand in a variety of sizes. If I wanted to I could get dozens tomorrow without issue. The price increase that you see in retail stores is rather artificial as the price increase from wholesalers is rather small. Again this might be regional or maybe it feels like there is more of a shortage because it seems like websites like live aquaria are always out of them and selling small yellow tangs for about 120 bucks. Source: I own a fish store in Chicago lol.

I will say I believe and hope that captive bred fish are the future as it is obviously much more sustainable than wild caught fish, and I'm glad to see more people are getting captive bred fish when available.
What fish store in Chicago has yellow tangs for $120 ? please share i live there also I got I biota yellow and he is alert but his fins a tattered and not much yellow but there not very yellow at juvenile age? At least he’s not boney

glency

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What fish store in Chicago has yellow tangs for $120 ? please share i live there also I got I biota yellow and he is alert but his fins a tattered and not much yellow but there not very yellow at juvenile age? At least he’s not boney
My biota yello was almost translucent when I got it. Now….

Attachments

• C683C020-F89E-4980-9A66-FDEB9CA05E55.jpeg
    C683C020-F89E-4980-9A66-FDEB9CA05E55.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 64
Back