Biota Yellow Tang review

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their diet always has been high quality frozen foot (various LRS "frenzy"s, rod's food, PE mysis) + selcon soaked nori and selcon soaked pellets combined with whatever algaes they pick at in the tank. And they share the tank with a wild caught Kole Tang (my first tang from 5 years ago before I switched to only CB) that has perfect coloration.

So if it is diet, then boy you really gotta work hard to get them up to the perfect coloration!

I am saying something might be missing from their diet before you purchase them since they come with the HLLE already. Perhaps it is already too bad to completely fix by the time they are purchased.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers to Biota for doing something no one else has. All of you poopooing on the price raise. It's going to be moot in a few months. Those of us that have been in the hobby for years, or a decade, or 4 decades. We think of yellow tangs as that fish that was $14.99 at the fish store. Any crappy pet store that ever had a 'salt' section had damsels, yellow tangs, and a stupid maroon clown that bites you. We walk into the nicest fish store and we don't even glance at the tank packed with all those bright yellow fish... Why cause we have been spoiled and brainwashed that a purple, or a black polka dot is much cooler than a $14.99 fish. But 95% of the hobbyists, in our beloved hobby, are in it for less than 10 months.

Within a year to 18 months, people walking into fish stores, or clicking on Live Aquaria, are not going to know anything about tanks filled with yellow tangs. People are going to look at a tank of Purple Tangs for $200, a tank of Gem Tangs for $400 and then 2 or 3 cubes with Biota Yellow Tang fors $500 - And not think twice about buying a bright yellow fish to fill their new reef tank - Rather than one of those dull and dark fish for a few dollars left - Who would be so dumb to buy one of those - when you get so much more in a yellow.

Many of us are gagging at the thought of such a future. And being someone that owned more than 30 zebrasoma 2 weeks ago. And as of 1 week ago now owns over 60. I can't imagine a future where I am in this hobby and don't have a pack of zebrasoma in my display tank.

But in my display tank. As of a week ago Monday. To justify the cost they are and they are going to be. I don't have wild tangs, I don't have Captive bred tangs. I have a school of "OG Hawaiian Gold "Tangs. Soon they will be worth their wait in gold. It's a fish that can live more than 20 years. I have several that are over 14 years and not even 4" across yet.

Those scoffing at the upcoming price of a yellow. Those poopooing Biota for raising their price on a product that they are the only supplier of in the entire world - You're all Primma Donnas.

Almost a year ago all of you, or your wives, paid a fortune for toilet paper when it ran from the shelves of the market. There are a multitude of brands of TP. And we all knew there was TP still being made, and one day they would be back on the shelves.

As of today - Biota was the only group with the foresight to produce yellow tangs, before they were collectors items. $120 to $200 - When you're not the only game in town, you're the only game on the planet. That's nothing. We should be showing our appreciation. And Biota didn't raise the price first - the online dealers did, because they could. Biota raising their retail prices to support their wholesale customers - That's not price gouging. That's supporting the companies that have been supporting you for the past few years. Biota didn't set the new price. They just raised their own retail price to not undercut their own customers.

Now if I could understand how they can produce Tangs for $120 or $200 but the Dejongi I want are still $1500 for a fish that is all around Cuba, after Cuba came off the no catchy - No Bring to Capitalist Pig with Fish tank list -- Well now that's a story I would like to hear :)

You might disagree with what I said. You may think I'm wrong. But before you post your opinions to what I wrote, wait 3,6,9,12 months and resurrect this thread and see who was right and who was wrong. I don't think I'm going to be wrong. But I do know BIOTA was RIGHT, all along :)

Dave B

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said @o2manyfish
I always think that Yellow tang is the most beautiful of the Zebrasoma. If all of the Zebrasoma are the same in rarity, the Yellow tang would be the most expensive.

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can no longer receive a Yellow Tang from Hawaii, all that is available is what is left in the supply chain. When that's gone, that's it beyond captive aquaculture.
As far as I am aware, the yellow tang is collected elsewhere besides Hawaii, just in larger numbers (and its cheaper to transfer them shorter distances) in Hawaii. I doubt that there will no longer be wild yellow tangs, just they will become more expensive and come from elsewhere.

Edit: just realized that people were already saying this. My bad. Don't reef2reef on zero sleep guys

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a biota yellow tang from live aquaria in September or October 2019. It was TINY, about the size of a quarter and arrived perfect. He did well the next 5 days in a well established yet fallow reef. Next thing I knew it had just up and vanished. I had glass lids so he didn’t jump. All of the overflow was covered with screen. My nassarious snails would’ve made quick work of the body if he died overnight. I didn’t pursue it with LA even though it was within their warranty. I’ve been in the hobby 16 years and I’m plenty capable... something just went wrong with this fish. I was disappointed but I realize I can’t prove it *wasn’t* my fault.

I’d give it another try if biota is offering...

Jesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is a regional thing or what but besides prices increasing a little for wholesale there hasn't been a shortage for us for yellow tangs. In fact a local distributor will sometimes have upwards of fifty on hand in a variety of sizes. If I wanted to I could get dozens tomorrow without issue. The price increase that you see in retail stores is rather artificial as the price increase from wholesalers is rather small. Again this might be regional or maybe it feels like there is more of a shortage because it seems like websites like live aquaria are always out of them and selling small yellow tangs for about 120 bucks. Source: I own a fish store in Chicago lol.

I will say I believe and hope that captive bred fish are the future as it is obviously much more sustainable than wild caught fish, and I'm glad to see more people are getting captive bred fish when available.
Where is your fish store I'm in Chicago I'll like to visit you

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Tangs are do come from Tahiti and Vietnam. But there are issues. 1) Vietnam can barely ship mushrooms and zoanthids to the US and get them here wet, warm and alive. The yellows are not as plentiful in these locations.

The reason why the yellows were so cheap from Hawaii was:
1) They were plentiful and easy to catch in big numbers
2) It's only a 5.5 hour flight
This makes the freight as much as 10% of shipping across the Pacific
The fish don't have to be packed 1 per bag. They can bulk pack fish in the bags

There aren't such weather extremes between LA and Hawaii - Which makes shipping the fish pretty stress free and less risk

These benefits of shipping Fish and yellow tangs from Hawaii was what made them such reasonably priced fish in the United States.

Dave B

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the range of the Yellow Tang per fishbase. I am sure there will be an other source for Yellow tang and also from captive bred. Very wide ranging in the Pacific
YellowTangRange.jpg

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OrionN,

I would disagree with that map. Having been working with collectors and hobbyists throughout Austrailia. I have never heard of yellow tangs in the northern waters. I also have friends in Solomons, Fiji and Tonga, and have seen some dirty yellow scopas tangs but not true yellows.

There is one atoll in Indonesia that has the Koi tangs. So somewhere nearby there is a population of Yellow Tangs. Or one very Prolific yellow tang who will spawn with anything swimming by. But the koi tangs also only show up really large. Never small juvies. So that may have been a special circumstance to create the Koi's.

My friends in Bali who have been collecting in a wide region for several decades have never come across yellow tangs.

While I am sure there may have been sightings of a yellow tang, as for there being an established population that has been widely reported in that many spots I would think might be a little overstated. Not sure where Fishbase would get their sighting data. But if it's a couple of first time scuba divers from Wisconsin - They every flash of yellow could have been reported as a yellow tang.

However, 20 years ago in Cabo San Lucas - You didn't find Moorish Idols, Hawaiian Blue Box Fish, Hawaiian Wrasses and a few other Hawaiian Species. But thanks to a couple of big El Nino seasons the fish got moved across the pacific and now have large increasing populations. While I have dove Cabo 4 years consecutively, at the same time of year, I don't recall seeing yellow tangs -- but that's not to say that somewhere up in the Warmer Sea of Cortez waters there isn't a few listening to Barry White from the cruise ships above and working on getting us a sustainable population in Mexico.

And 20 years ago the range of the Asfur and Maculousus angel was limited to the Red Sea. But with the creation of the man-made islands in Dubai. The 100's of reefs the islands have created have become homes to populations of Red Sea Fish that have happily migrated south and are doing really well populating the new reefs.

Dave B

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if anybody can come up with a study of yellow tang, range and other information.
I think it have even sited in Florida, where it certainly not a native fish.

yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens) - Species Profile (usgs.gov)

In this document of the US government:
"Native Range: The yellow tang is found in the Northwest and Central Pacific ocean from southwest Japan to Marianna Islands, Marshall Islands, Marcus Island, Wake Island and Hawai’i. From Allen et al. (2003). "

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers to Biota for doing something no one else has. All of you poopooing on the price raise. It's going to be moot in a few months. Those of us that have been in the hobby for years, or a decade, or 4 decades. We think of yellow tangs as that fish that was $14.99 at the fish store. Any crappy pet store that ever had a 'salt' section had damsels, yellow tangs, and a stupid maroon clown that bites you. We walk into the nicest fish store and we don't even glance at the tank packed with all those bright yellow fish... Why cause we have been spoiled and brainwashed that a purple, or a black polka dot is much cooler than a $14.99 fish. But 95% of the hobbyists, in our beloved hobby, are in it for less than 10 months.

Within a year to 18 months, people walking into fish stores, or clicking on Live Aquaria, are not going to know anything about tanks filled with yellow tangs. People are going to look at a tank of Purple Tangs for $200, a tank of Gem Tangs for $400 and then 2 or 3 cubes with Biota Yellow Tang fors $500 - And not think twice about buying a bright yellow fish to fill their new reef tank - Rather than one of those dull and dark fish for a few dollars left - Who would be so dumb to buy one of those - when you get so much more in a yellow.

Many of us are gagging at the thought of such a future. And being someone that owned more than 30 zebrasoma 2 weeks ago. And as of 1 week ago now owns over 60. I can't imagine a future where I am in this hobby and don't have a pack of zebrasoma in my display tank.

But in my display tank. As of a week ago Monday. To justify the cost they are and they are going to be. I don't have wild tangs, I don't have Captive bred tangs. I have a school of "OG Hawaiian Gold "Tangs. Soon they will be worth their wait in gold. It's a fish that can live more than 20 years. I have several that are over 14 years and not even 4" across yet.

Those scoffing at the upcoming price of a yellow. Those poopooing Biota for raising their price on a product that they are the only supplier of in the entire world - You're all Primma Donnas.

Almost a year ago all of you, or your wives, paid a fortune for toilet paper when it ran from the shelves of the market. There are a multitude of brands of TP. And we all knew there was TP still being made, and one day they would be back on the shelves.

As of today - Biota was the only group with the foresight to produce yellow tangs, before they were collectors items. $120 to $200 - When you're not the only game in town, you're the only game on the planet. That's nothing. We should be showing our appreciation. And Biota didn't raise the price first - the online dealers did, because they could. Biota raising their retail prices to support their wholesale customers - That's not price gouging. That's supporting the companies that have been supporting you for the past few years. Biota didn't set the new price. They just raised their own retail price to not undercut their own customers.

Now if I could understand how they can produce Tangs for $120 or $200 but the Dejongi I want are still $1500 for a fish that is all around Cuba, after Cuba came off the no catchy - No Bring to Capitalist Pig with Fish tank list -- Well now that's a story I would like to hear :)

You might disagree with what I said. You may think I'm wrong. But before you post your opinions to what
OrionN,

I would disagree with that map. Having been working with collectors and hobbyists throughout Austrailia. I have never heard of yellow tangs in the northern waters. I also have friends in Solomons, Fiji and Tonga, and have seen some dirty yellow scopas tangs but not true yellows.

There is one atoll in Indonesia that has the Koi tangs. So somewhere nearby there is a population of Yellow Tangs. Or one very Prolific yellow tang who will spawn with anything swimming by. But the koi tangs also only show up really large. Never small juvies. So that may have been a special circumstance to create the Koi's.

My friends in Bali who have been collecting in a wide region for several decades have never come across yellow tangs.

While I am sure there may have been sightings of a yellow tang, as for there being an established population that has been widely reported in that many spots I would think might be a little overstated. Not sure where Fishbase would get their sighting data. But if it's a couple of first time scuba divers from Wisconsin - They every flash of yellow could have been reported as a yellow tang.

However, 20 years ago in Cabo San Lucas - You didn't find Moorish Idols, Hawaiian Blue Box Fish, Hawaiian Wrasses and a few other Hawaiian Species. But thanks to a couple of big El Nino seasons the fish got moved across the pacific and now have large increasing populations. While I have dove Cabo 4 years consecutively, at the same time of year, I don't recall seeing yellow tangs -- but that's not to say that somewhere up in the Warmer Sea of Cortez waters there isn't a few listening to Barry White from the cruise ships above and working on getting us a sustainable population in Mexico.

And 20 years ago the range of the
Excellent post! Seriously.

but I came here to say Prime Donne is the plural. :p

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent post! Seriously.

but I came here to say Prime Donne is the plural. :p
Trey,

I always thought I had a Prolixity for Grandiloquence... But where did you come across the plural for Prima Donna?

Please don't tell me you took latin as your foreign language.

LOL

Dave B

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OrionN,

And 20 years ago the range of the Asfur and Maculousus angel was limited to the Red Sea. But with the creation of the man-made islands in Dubai. The 100's of reefs the islands have created have become homes to populations of Red Sea Fish that have happily migrated south and are doing really well populating the new reefs.

Dave B

Hey stop ripping on Scuba divers from WI.. :p
Anyway you are right pretty much on everything you are saying.
The only place I have heard of shipping yellow tangs I think is Christmas island.

sick1166

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs has yellow tangs 109.00 but i picked up a gem and purple tang who thought purple tangs cheaper than yellows and gems a close second

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been hearing that for a while. There are a ton of rumors about future availability of some fish. I heard over a year ago to expect yellow tangs to hit two hundred dollars and while they did jump a significant amount in price on the retail end they still aren't close to 200 dollars (excluding maybe larger sizes). I'm just saying from my point of view it looks like yellow tangs are just as available as any other time, and maybe one day sometime soon the stock of them will run out, but for now I'm not too worried. It'll be interesting to see.
In SoCal I think the average is $200

Back