Black Bugs

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 31, 2017
Messages
1,587
Reaction score
818
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this them?

20190610_180227.jpg
 
Possibly, but hard to tell without a good macro photo. I have both red bugs and black bugs on a few frags, and found when I turn off my powerheads they will move around quite a bit. I shot this video of them:



There’s a good read on them here: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/corals

I put a couple dragonface pipefish in my tank and they peck at the bugs occasionally, but not enough to eradicate them.

21B8CFBB-E958-4889-936E-8211507C0F9E.jpeg

After 4 months I still haven’t seen any noticeable problems caused by the bugs on my acroporas.
 
Possibly, but hard to tell without a good macro photo. I have both red bugs and black bugs on a few frags, and found when I turn off my powerheads they will move around quite a bit. I shot this video of them:



There’s a good read on them here: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/corals

I put a couple dragonface pipefish in my tank and they peck at the bugs occasionally, but not enough to eradicate them.

21B8CFBB-E958-4889-936E-8211507C0F9E.jpeg

After 4 months I still haven’t seen any noticeable problems caused by the bugs on my acroporas.


Usually what happens is the Acropora bugs live in the polyps and disturbs them enough they stay closed all the time and eventually over time the Acropora usually dies off slowly.
 
Last edited:
Usually what happens is the Acropora bugs live in the polyps and disturbs them enough they stay closed all the time and eventually over time they usually die off slowly.

I've been lucky because the bugs don't seem to be bothering my acropora polyps. Here's a macro shot of that same frag today from my video above from 2 months ago. Lots of polyp extension, and you can see some of the bugs next to them.

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 4.11.05 PM.png
 
I can pretty confidently say they are not red bugs. Have seen those before. These are grey and black specs. Looked over everything with a magnifying glass and that is the only coral they are on.
 
Should I hit the tank with interceptor
 
Yes. Would have to get shrimp and crabs out. Other option is to dip the coral and see if they come back. This is the only acro I have seen them on and the numbers are very small.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new