Black on top of rock

leighproct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having difficulty with my 120g saltwater aquarium. I can not keep any corals whatsoever. They die within 24 hrs of introducing them into the tank. I have several fish that have had for over 8 months now and doing well but can’t seem to get corals to go. All my parameters are good. 0 TDS RO water. Water changes regularly. One thing I have noticed is the dry rock that I have in the tank has black all over the top of the rocks. I can brush it off with a toothbrush and have no idea if this is an underlying problem?
1.025 salinity
0 Nitrate
0 Nitrite
Ammonia 0ppm
11 KH Alkalinity
8.2 PH
Water temp 75

IMG_4694.jpeg IMG_4692.jpeg IMG_4693.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be some sort of algae, if all you're corals die that quickly, or if all your corals die than I'd definitely get an ICP test done. What kind of corals do you add?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is soft, it is likely cyano or some other soft of matting bacteria. However, hard to tell from the photos.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, ICP is not going to tell you anything. Any compound that can kill a coral in a day won't show up in an ICP test - they don't test for compounds anyway.

Are you sure that the temp, salinity and other basics are accurate? Have you double and triple checked your instruments?

OP
OP
L

leighproct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spent a small fortune on test kits because this is maddening. Salinity and temp triple checked.
New kit today.
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0.25ppm
PH 8.4
Water temp 75

OP
OP
L

leighproct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the rocks be decomposing or something causing the ammonia to rise? Would this kill off the Corals.

waqas_01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of test kits are you using to test these values?

If the values are actually correct, stop doing water changes for a bit and let your nitrates get up to 5-10ppm. I would trust salifert nitrate test kits or a hanna high range nitrate checker.

You also want a hanna low range phosphate or phosphorus checker. Ensure you're not 0 for phosphorus/phosphate. You want to be in the 0.03-0.1 ppm phosphate range.

Running zeroes for either or both of these will starve your corals. I was getting polyp bailout within a week at the beginning when my nitrates were reading zero.

Lastly, let your temperature slowly get up to 77-78F. Most LFS tanks are running at the 77-78F mark, so you might just be shocking them putting them in colder water.

OP
OP
L

leighproct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have flow yes.

Attachments

• IMG_4698.jpeg
    IMG_4698.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4697.jpeg
    IMG_4697.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4696.jpeg
    IMG_4696.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
L

leighproct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of test kits are you using to test these values?

If the values are actually correct, stop doing water changes for a bit and let your nitrates get up to 5-10ppm. I would trust salifert nitrate test kits or a hanna high range nitrate checker.

You also want a hanna low range phosphate or phosphorus checker. Ensure you're not 0 for phosphorus/phosphate. You want to be in the 0.03-0.1 ppm phosphate range.

Running zeroes for either or both of these will starve your corals. I was getting polyp bailout within a week at the beginning when my nitrates were reading zero.

Lastly, let your temperature slowly get up to 77-78F. Most LFS tanks are running at the 77-78F mark, so you might just be shocking them putting them in colder water.

You need a way better light if you want to keep corals.
Ok but would that kill the corals in 24hr?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would say you need better flow, those little amazon powerheads are not very good and won't cut it for a large tank like that..

The water surface also looks very flat, you should point one of those powerheads at the water surface to agitate the surface, and help put more oxygen into the water. Better flow will help your tank overall.

Also need more rock, should be close to a pound per gallon, more rock provides more space for healthy bacteria to grow.

OP
OP
L

leighproct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would say you need better flow, those little amazon powerheads are not very good and won't cut it for a large tank like that..

The water surface also looks very flat, you should point one of those powerheads at the water surface to agitate the surface, and help put more oxygen into the water. Better flow will help your tank overall.

Also need more rock, should be close to a pound per gallon, more rock provides more space for healthy bacteria to grow.
Do you think the black in the rock is a problem though? I have had the power head more at the top but have been playing around with water flow. I will point them more to the surface. As for the two on the bottom right are you saying I need more powerful ones down there?

OP
OP
L

leighproct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the black in the rock is a problem though? I have had the power head more at the top but have been playing around with water flow. I will point them more to the surface. As for the two on the bottom right are you saying I need more powerful ones down there?

Attachments

• IMG_4700.jpeg
    IMG_4700.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4701.jpeg
    IMG_4701.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 26

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bacterial matting often from a substance known as mulm which establishes itself. You can remove rock to a container of tank water and scrub with a firm brush and some 3% Peroxide and return to tank
Pitho crabs, pencil urchins and ninja star snails will often help keep control Once the scrubbing has been done

OP
OP
L

leighproct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial matting often from a substance known as mulm which establishes itself. You can remove rock to a container of tank water and scrub with a firm brush and some 3% Peroxide and return to tank
Pitho crabs, pencil urchins and ninja star snails will often help keep control Once the scrubbing has been done
How much peroxide? Won’t that hurt the fish?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, need stronger/better flow in your tank, those are just tiny little nano pwerheads. Stuff coming to rest on the rocks and growing into a mat is a sign of not enough flow IMO

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back