Black on top of rock

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How much peroxide? Won’t that hurt the fish?
Peroxide is mainly water, safe and widely used and you can use up to 2ml per gallon

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So whatever is happening is melting soft corals. The black bacteria is probably not the problem. No matter what, corals should not be dying that quickly, which some exceptions of course (euphyllia and acropora) how do you add them? What's your process? Agree with a previous comment, need different light. I personally use red sea reefLEDs but you can also use radions, Kessel, ect. Also, as the comment above says, any medications added to the tank? Any treatments?

OP
OP
L

leighproct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So whatever is happening is melting soft corals. The black bacteria is probably not the problem. No matter what, corals should not be dying that quickly, which some exceptions of course (euphyllia and acropora) how do you add them? What's your process? Agree with a previous comment, need different light. I personally use red sea reefLEDs but you can also use radions, Kessel, ect. Also, as the comment above says, any medications added to the tank? Any treatments?
I use the drip method to acclimate the corals. I

OP
OP
L

leighproct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dipping your corals before adding to your tank?
Have you ever treated your tank with copper or any other chemicals /drugs for a fish disease.
I have not treated the tank. The fish seem to be doing well. I would point out that not only corals but invertebrates I can keep alive.

OP
OP
L

leighproct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the bird wrasse is eating your inverts, don't know about your coral though. Are you sure they (the coral) are dead?
I only introduce the bird rat a few weeks ago, but I have not been able to keep invertebrates for months for the Karl. Yeah, they definitely dead they basically disintegrated.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo i think alot of the replies here are not addressing the root cause of the problem, which is why corals are dead in 24hr. Flow, light will not do this as corals are shipped in plastic bags with no flow and no light at times for longer than 24hrs and they still survive. I think the zero nutrients prob isnt helping although 24hrs is a short period to starve the corals.
There must be an under lying issue that is beyond my pay grade being a nub

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back