Black spots on Favia

reeferpdx415

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2025
Messages
80
Reaction score
15
Location
Portland
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends. I've been having some trouble with my corals lately and am concerned for one in particular. I have a medium to large Wolverine type favia colony. It had a small black spot on it when i got it but was told it was just algae. I'm no starting to see more of them and I'm worried is starting to recede a bit. Also, a similar black spot on a couple of Acan. Any idea what it is? Here's a couple of pics.

FAVIA

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_2124.jpeg
IMG_2125.jpeg


ACANS

IMG_2121.jpeg

IMG_2122.jpeg
 
Would you please turn off the blue lights and leave only the white lights? Its hard to see like this.
 
I feel certain it is algae as I also have a favia that developed an area like this when I had it in a space with not enough light. I moved it to better light and it has not gotten any worse, maybe even a bit better.
 
Looks like your having some algae problems. For favia I'd do 150ml of 3% Hydrogen peroxide in 1 liter(4 cups) of tank water, dip for five minutes. The coral will suffer a bit from the dip, but should bounce back within a week.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new