JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230208_203509754.jpg

Hi all!

I finally did it. Pulled the trigger and got a black widow, which is my favorite BTA. It came in VERY small! Had a cradle set up for it and at first it attached in an ideal spot, but has now moved down and is in a crevice getting very little flow. No waving motion of the tentacles at all. It should be getting relatively high PAR from an AI Prime 16HD, ~150+, maybe 200.

I want this guy to make it!

My question:
Should I be trying to redirect more flow into that cup?
-- Note: it is only a 10 gallon cube, so changing flow is a change for everything in the tank.

What should I be looking out for on a nem this small? I don't want to miss a beat.

Any other advice will be super helpful.

This nem will be transitioning in a couple of months to a new 40 gallon long under 2 Noopsyche Minis (with AI Prime as supplemental LED if necessary).

Thanks!

FYI, this was him (decide it's a dude) yesterday at more blues:
PXL_20230208_004702941.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't keep changing things or get hands on. It needs to be left alone while getting accustomed to the new environment. Also don't try and feed it. Wait at least a couple weeks. Even if you do decide to feed (I don't) make sure it's once a week or 2 and very small amounts.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't keep changing things or get hands on. It needs to be left alone while getting accustomed to the new environment. Also don't try and feed it. Wait at least a couple weeks. Even if you do decide to feed (I don't) make sure it's once a week or 2 and very small amounts.
Roger that.

In its current positions, the tentacles are not swaying at all. Is that not a problem?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that.

In its current positions, the tentacles are not swaying at all. Is that not a problem?
Nope. It's a living thing with a mind of its own. When new in tanks they're in defence mode. It will go to where it wants to be.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. It's a living thing with a mind of its own. When new in tanks they're in defence mode. It will go to where it wants to be.

looks good to me! just keep the conditions the same and it should plant onto the rock.

Glad I didn't move it. Seems to have planted its foot nicely. I did redirect a bit of flow so that the tentacles weren't completely motionless. Linked vid.

PXL_20230210_175454351.jpg

PXL_20230210_175501948.jpg

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks good to go now, feeding it will help it get bigger way quicker

Thanks!

RE: feeding, I broadcast a bunch of Reef Nutrition liquid foods into the tank, so while I wasn't planning on target feeding it right away, it will most likely get some of the RN pods/oysterfeast/roti feast.

I will probably start giving it a targeted small squirt of the liquid mixture twice a week once it's settled in for a couple of weeks.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

RE: feeding, I broadcast a bunch of Reef Nutrition liquid foods into the tank, so while I wasn't planning on target feeding it right away, it will most likely get some of the RN pods/oysterfeast/roti feast.

I will probably start giving it a targeted small squirt of the liquid mixture twice a week once it's settled in for a couple of weeks.
My nems have went from 2, 3" nems to 8 or 9 ranging from 6" to 13". I've never target fed. They catch what they catch or get fed by the clowns.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
PXL_20230208_203509754.jpg

Hi all!

I finally did it. Pulled the trigger and got a black widow, which is my favorite BTA. It came in VERY small! Had a cradle set up for it and at first it attached in an ideal spot, but has now moved down and is in a crevice getting very little flow. No waving motion of the tentacles at all. It should be getting relatively high PAR from an AI Prime 16HD, ~150+, maybe 200.

I want this guy to make it!

My question:
Should I be trying to redirect more flow into that cup?
-- Note: it is only a 10 gallon cube, so changing flow is a change for everything in the tank.

What should I be looking out for on a nem this small? I don't want to miss a beat.

Any other advice will be super helpful.

This nem will be transitioning in a couple of months to a new 40 gallon long under 2 Noopsyche Minis (with AI Prime as supplemental LED if necessary).

Thanks!

FYI, this was him (decide it's a dude) yesterday at more blues:
PXL_20230208_004702941.jpg
Grabbing onto the rock is good. You want to place it into tank with pump shut off for at last an hour to allw it to further settle and bring pumps back to subtle flow for another 8-12 hours working your way to moderate light and water flow. Too much flow and they will move and too little and they will shrivel or head for your power head

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grabbing onto the rock is good. You want to place it into tank with pump shut off for at last an hour to allw it to further settle and bring pumps back to subtle flow for another 8-12 hours working your way to moderate light and water flow. Too much flow and they will move and too little and they will shrivel or head for your power head
The video link above shows how much flow I redirected toward it in the cup. Purposefully put it in my 10gal stable tank that has no powerheads, just return pump, until it goes in the new 40L that will have a gyre and nem guard--but we'll aim for keeping it happy so it stays put!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The video link above shows how much flow I redirected toward it in the cup. Purposefully put it in my 10gal stable tank that has no powerheads, just return pump, until it goes in the new 40L that will have a gyre and nem guard--but we'll aim for keeping it happy so it stays put!
Looks like a bit much but I did not mention as I figured it may be due to the movement within the jar

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Yep no need to target feed. This is one of my group. They've never been target fed. 20221221_215347.jpg

Pillahump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally don't feed my anemone for at least the first month =)
let it acclimate and find its spot no rush

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back