Blackout for nuisance turf algae

Scottm032

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2019
Messages
46
Reaction score
45
Location
Ormond Beach
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently got more aggressive in an effort to kill what I call green turf algae. My tank has been going for 3 months now and urchins, scrubbing, and my 6 large tangs haven't put a dent in it. I removed all my corals from the rock, mostly new caribsea rock from the LFS, and put all the rock in a sealed barrel with a pump agitating the surface.

7 days in the algae has not seemed to notice. It is still as green as ever and still will not scrub off. Personally, I am amazed at the resiliency of this algae. I don't know if I can add a product to the barrel that will not harm the bacteria and other life that has grown on the rock thus far.

Any suggestions appreciated.

p04 is at .15 and nitrates are about 6 currently in my display. I haven't checked params in the barrel but they started out around this level.
 
You do know that the dead rock you used goes through a variety of color changes and nuisance ugly algae the first year right? When you take your rocks out and scrub them you are killing off beneficial bacteria and setting your biome back to the beginning again as in wash rinse repeat. You will never get ahead being impatient like this at 3 months.
 
You do know that the dead rock you used goes through a variety of color changes and nuisance ugly algae the first year right? When you take your rocks out and scrub them you are killing off beneficial bacteria and setting your biome back to the beginning again as in wash rinse repeat. You will never get ahead being impatient like this at 3 months.
I haven’t scrubbed the rock at all. I’m waiting for the algae to come off easily with a tooth brush. I’ve been protecting the biome. That’s why I haven’t tried vibrant or other chemicals. I got the growth in my tanks under control. I’m trying to get the turf algae off the rock in the barrel before putting it back in the display.
 
I haven’t scrubbed the rock at all. I’m waiting for the algae to come off easily with a tooth brush. I’ve been protecting the biome. That’s why I haven’t tried vibrant or other chemicals. I got the growth in my tanks under control. I’m trying to get the turf algae off the rock in the barrel before putting it back in the display.
Ok good, you have enough turbos and urchins in there? Turf algae is not that bad to deal with. Hand place those cleaners and force them to eat their way out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new