Blasto falling apart, but why?

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blasto been doing great. Adding heads since MACNA last fall. Last two days it started falling apart. Rest of tank looks great.

Any ideas what causing it.

20180208_124510.jpg

This not long ago

20180123_125750.jpg

Last edited:

Cultivated Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm, anything new going on in your tank? New additions or have you moved things around recently?

OP
OP
TroyHoot

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really. small yellow tang was last addition about month ago. Im home most of the time. Tank sits right behind where I sit. I look at it alot. Lights on and off. Havent seen animal eating on it. I have one small emerald crab. Havent seen her anywhere close to the blasto though. Saw a small chunk had fallen off yesterday evening. Figured if something was eating it, that chunk would have been gone. The chunk looked grey and lost all the color.

Rest of the tank is looking great. Great polyp extension, good growth ect. The blasto is only thing effected right now. My maintenance schedule hasnt changed. Parameters are all same as they have been for 6 months. No big swings or anything.

Cultivated Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Emerald crabs can target certain corals suddenly. That might be the cause. I use to use them a lot in our coral farms but soon realized they are not to be trusted lol! Other then that I would probably do a healthy sized water change (20-25%) and run some fresh carbon. That might not change anything but it certainly is beneficial to the tank and should help eliminate some possible causes.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp in tank ,,they can go rogue on any polyp without notice..especially when there hungry,,been there and no more peps for me..

OP
OP
TroyHoot

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did 20% last Friday. Changed carbon Sunday. Was planning 10% change tomorrow.

This is a current shot.

20180208_130741.jpg

OP
OP
TroyHoot

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only shrimp left in the tank is a randalls pistol shrimp, you can see the randalls goby he lives with in the full shot.

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just started showing skeleton and all of a sudden everything melted away. I have no shrimp or crabs in my tank. My other blasto is doing well and thriving. No idea what happened. Had the blasto for over a year and was growing fast.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he getting stung, try putting him in the shade away from other LPS.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blasto been doing great. Adding heads since MACNA last fall. Last two days it started falling apart. Rest of tank looks great.

Any ideas what causing it.

20180208_124510.jpg

This not long ago

20180123_125750.jpg
Just curious as to how this ultimately ran its course. I have a blasto wellsi that was flourishing and your pic is exactly what mine is starting to look like. Completely perplexed: several SPS, scoly, favia, hammer, etc. all doing great. Parameters: 1.025 salinity; 9.1 dKH; 453 Ca; 1340 Mg; 5 nitrate; 0.05 phosphate; and 0.0 ammonia & nitrite. Blasto is not near anything that could sting it and is mounted on the main structure. And have never witnessed any of the CUC or shrimp coming close to it. Very odd.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprising there isn't more postings on this. Looks like this doesn't happen very often. Unlucky me. I have the same situation. Nothing has changed. All I noticed was that the coral was a less inflated than usual. I took a turkey baster to it see if any pests were bothering it and flesh started falling off. Rest of the tank looks OK. I have 3 other blastos that seem unaffected (fingers crossed)

If either of you have any follow up info to your situation, would love to hear it! TIA!

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just offering that I had a really nice favia that had been growing beautifully for a while suddenly take a nosedive and I couldn't figure out why. Then slowly and one by one other corals started to show signs of trouble. This was when for some reason I thought to check my refractometer calibration -- turned out it was way off and my sg had dipped to 1.020. Not sure how long that had been going on, and I did end up losing some corals, but once I corrected that things began to turn around.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just offering that I had a really nice favia that had been growing beautifully for a while suddenly take a nosedive and I couldn't figure out why. Then slowly and one by one other corals started to show signs of trouble. This was when for some reason I thought to check my refractometer calibration -- turned out it was way off and my sg had dipped to 1.020. Not sure how long that had been going on, and I did end up losing some corals, but once I corrected that things began to turn around.
oh dear. Ok i did do a water change last week. I'll double check that. TY

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I double checked the salinity in the tank and my refractometer and nothing looked suspicious. I forgot that my apex also monitors the salinity. Nothing out of wack there unfortunately. I did a 20% water change today just because =/.

Just keeping my finger crossed at this point.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprising there isn't more postings on this. Looks like this doesn't happen very often. Unlucky me. I have the same situation. Nothing has changed. All I noticed was that the coral was a less inflated than usual. I took a turkey baster to it see if any pests were bothering it and flesh started falling off. Rest of the tank looks OK. I have 3 other blastos that seem unaffected (fingers crossed)

If either of you have any follow up info to your situation, would love to hear it! TIA!
Could be an infection. Maybe some fish also that can kill these off.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I double checked the salinity in the tank and my refractometer and nothing looked suspicious. I forgot that my apex also monitors the salinity. Nothing out of wack there unfortunately. I did a 20% water change today just because =/.

Just keeping my finger crossed at this point.
Sometimes it’s not so clear why — just thought I’d share my experience b/c it’s easy to overlook in a lot of setups. You can check everything over and over and it’s the one thing you didn’t think to check, ha.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back