Blasto Garden Ideas

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a frag rock with 10 frag plug holes. Right now I have blasto’s in 4 of the holes to make a garden. My question is, are there any corals out there that I could place on the other side of the rock (6 frags) that would not cause an issue with coral warfare in 1 or 2 years when they grow into the blasto’s? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated As I’m not sure what could be placed/touching blastos with no ill effects. TIA!

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have my two large blasto colonies next to a large Duncan, and they aren’t stinging badly enough to retract and brush against eachother occasionally. Still actively growing fast too, so must not be too potent.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for cool blastos, check out Legendary corals. I’ve had great luck with them and I think they have fair prices.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I recently bought a frag rock with 10 frag plug holes. Right now I have blasto’s in 4 of the holes to make a garden. My question is, are there any corals out there that I could place on the other side of the rock (6 frags) that would not cause an issue with coral warfare in 1 or 2 years when they grow into the blasto’s? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated As I’m not sure what could be placed/touching blastos with no ill effects. TIA!
You might be able to throw an encrusting monti in one of the holes. They tend to not be overly agressive. You maybe to use kalk or something later to keep it from getting to close and encrusting over the Blastos though I guess.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to throw an encrusting monti in one of the holes. They tend to not be overly agressive. You maybe to use kalk or something later to keep it from getting to close and encrusting over the Blastos though I guess.
I’ve had the opposite experience with Montipora and don’t add any encrusting montis to my main rocks anymore! Ended up being a nuisance and difficult to keep in check. But, maybe there are some specific varieties that would be a different experience?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve had the opposite experience with Montipora and don’t add any encrusting montis to my main rocks anymore! Ended up being a nuisance and difficult to keep in check. But, maybe there are some specific varieties that would be a different experience?
Sorry, I guess I should clarify - by overly agressive I meant attacking/stinging. The concern would be the agressive growth that can often take over slower growing corals. After thinking about it a little more it would probably be a bad idea. Based on the reading I've done on Blastos recently and trying to keep mine from any coral warfare, Blastos are super weak when it comes to defense and attack. Montis are generally as well but they tend to grow so fast that they can overtake other corals. I don't know who would win in the battle between Blastos and Montis so I would keep the monti from encroaching by using kalk paste to knock it back a couple inches as it got close. Just a suggestion. Leptos or Pavonas would work as well.

@AirIck - how far are the 6 additional frag holes from the first 4? Can you post a pic of the rock in question? Gonis or Alveopora are a cool addition but they can sting the Blastos if they get too close.

Another consideration would be to add a different type of Blasto - Wellso or Merletti

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say the one Montipora that doesn’t spread quickly, has killer color, and loses every coral warfare battle I’ve seen is Montipora Setosa. Could maybe be nice contrast next to some purple/green blastos.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back