Blennies, Why do we keep them?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a growing hate relationship with my Escenius lineatus. They’re meant to be more reef safe than other blennies (such as Escenius bicolor) however mine decided to eat a nice chunk of RD Joker Acropora. Then he is now harassing all the wrasses in the tank (Even the guys he was with before my pink streak went in).
But if they’re so bad… why do we own them?
I get for algae but you have CUC that are great at that and many other fish options (Koumansetta species are a great example). But why do we always go for blenniiformes species?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a growing hate relationship with my Escenius lineatus. They’re meant to be more reef safe than other blennies (such as Escenius bicolor) however mine decided to eat a nice chunk of RD Joker Acropora. Then he is now harassing all the wrasses in the tank (Even the guys he was with before my pink streak went in).
But if they’re so bad… why do we own them?
I get for algae but you have CUC that are great at that and many other fish options (Koumansetta species are a great example). But why do we always go for blenniiformes species?
I've not had much difficulty with blennies. Granted, mine are usually of the starry variety, but other than a fun personality, nothing noteworthy to report.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they're lazy, they're funny and they're generally awesome (although YMMV, as you've discovered). I have two - a lawnmower and a midas - and they both have an express purpose. The lawnmower helps keep my algae in-check and the midas sits in his barnacle and shakes his fin at the other fish "get off my lawn!" :grinning-squinting-face:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an algae blenny, but he didn't live up to his name, and rarely actually ate any algae, so ended up getting rid of it.
Not sure who named those guys, but i think they lied a bit.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s interesting, my guy is funny but man he’s a pain and recently that pain has been going up a level. First taking chunks out of a nice acro (For now he’s left the 3 SPS in there alone), then harassing my Pink Streak, Blue Star Leopard and Naoko Fairy Wrasses. I do love their personalities just their aggression can be bad. I had 1 bicolor that loved nipping coral, the other just sat in his colony of acropora 24/7 watching what was going on in the kitchen.
i love watching what goes on at night though cause sometimes, the things you catch that happen with the fish are ridiculous!

I keep getting them when I have an algae issue but then eventually regret them. I’m still on the look out for E. bimaculatus in hopes I find a blenny that doesn’t despise acros after having 2 that appear they hated certain acropora.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
P E R S O N A L I T Y !!!

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Midas Blennies and will always have one in my tank. I've never had one nip at a coral or go after a fish and they are one of the kings of personality for sure!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back