Bloated blue throat trigger

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought two blue jaw triggers smaller male and larger female. We’re fed before bagged and were both bagged in the same bag. Bagged around 4pm. Brought home around 5:30 and bag with both fish was put into tank to temperature acclimate.
had to leave and wasn’t able to see the fish until 8:45 where smaller male was swimming and female trigger had a bloated stomach and barley moving and was upside down. Fish did not have aggression towards each other. What should I do
image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Couple of possibilities:
I assume fish was not bloated upon purchase? At times when the LFS/shipper does Not put enough water in the bag, the fish tends to suck air when contents are bouncing around and bladder fills with air.
Other would be poor acclimation whereas the fish goes into shock.
Because fish became bloated rather than a buoyancy issue, its seems like a reaction or symptom versus condition. A fish just doesnt get immediate bloat and may have had an internal condition which the LFS should have caught

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of possibilities:
I assume fish was not bloated upon purchase? At times when the LFS/shipper does Not put enough water in the bag, the fish tends to suck air when contents are bouncing around and bladder fills with air.
Other would be poor acclimation whereas the fish goes into shock.
Because fish became bloated rather than a buoyancy issue, its seems like a reaction or symptom versus condition. A fish just doesnt get immediate bloat and may have had an internal condition which the LFS should have caught
Fish was at fish store for a week with no issues. Was not bloated at time of purchase. Anything that can be done to rescue the fish? Ample amount of water in a large bag there was fish food in the bag but fish was only in bag for 4-5 hours. Fish was bloated inside bag before, introduced to tank in an effort to remove from the bag was quickly acclimated to tank water. And has a buoyancy issue

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish was at fish store for a week with no issues. Was not bloated at time of purchase. Anything that can be done to rescue the fish? Ample amount of water in a large bag there was fish food in the bag but fish was only in bag for 4-5 hours. Fish was bloated inside bag before, introduced to tank in an effort to remove from the bag was quickly acclimated to tank water. And has a buoyancy issue
I still think sucking air in the bag
Without video, Im unable to tell it has buoyancy issues. Struggling to maintain a normal swimming position is relevant to swim bladder infection or similar internal issue/symptom.
If buoyancy problems as you stated exist, the fish may not be able to feed normally or even reach the surface of the water. This disorder is sometimes caused by compression of the swim bladder, which may involve a distended stomach from rapidly eating, overeating, constipation, or gulping air, which is thought to occur with floating foods. Eating freeze-dried or dry flake food that expands when it becomes wet can also lead to an enlarged stomach or intestinal tract.
Other causes are :
  • Trauma/Injury
  • Stress from rapidly changing water parameters
  • Poor water quality
Water change(s) may help and antibiotic should also help. Kanamyacin or neomyacin should help great and best done in a quarantine tank

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, Fish is very weak, attempted to bleed the swim bladder. Then put it in a separate container with some iodine, fish is breathing and will move now only sometimes when touched. Laying on its side and not moving.

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the fish in a bag that is inside the tank. There is an air bubbler in the bag with the fish to give it water movement in the tank. As of now non responsive at all. We will see what happens tomorrow morning.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear, sounds like LFS error, most likely ammonia poisoning in bag, just not enough time to save them.

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, sounds like LFS error, most likely ammonia poisoning in bag, just not enough time to save them.
Might be, called up the LFS and they said the fish was swimming fine for the two weeks they had them and that something happened between the fish store and my home. When I first put the bag in the tank both fish looked very good and no issues, it sucks but what can you do.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Might be, called up the LFS and they said the fish was swimming fine for the two weeks they had them and that something happened between the fish store and my home. When I first put the bag in the tank both fish looked very good and no issues, it sucks but what can you do.
never let a LFS put two fish in a bag ,no matter how big .
also some type of ammonia spike happens immediately when you open bag,
this i cannot explain in detail ,just know,
i truly believe this was LFS error in judgment ,by feeding before bagging together + loose food in bag.
this was not your fault . happy reefing.

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for your loss.

But " was only in bag for 4-5 hours."
way too long, esp with 2 in one bag!
Fish get shipped across the world and are in bags for 24 hrs plus at times. While usually they are shipped with one in the bag thought that they should be fine.
this was not an ideal situation I know this but I had to leave the fish due to an emergency
so you tell me what would have you done where you come home with 2 fish in a bag but have to leave immediately? Do you leave the fish in the tank water and leave to come back in a few hours? Would you have risked but throwing the fish into the tank without acclimateing them to the new tank water and if they do make it risk everything in the tank getting ick?
No kidding that is a long time and not ideal and for you to come to this page without providing any suggestions on how you could’ve done things to increase the Likely hood the fish surviving, just to make a statement like that is just toxic and not helpful. I am here to find help not be bashed for a situation I didn’t intend to happen.

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TOXIC! are you kidding??
Not toxic at all... If it was 'my' emergency, I would have released them into the tank.
and you werent bashed. Lighten up DUDE.
said sorry for your loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many would say, "into the QT tank!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish get shipped across the world and are in bags for 24 hrs plus at times.
"Overnight shipping" has often meant "it will actually take three days!" over the past year. Of course, the courier companies have stopped all truck deliveries of live animals to my area completely, so it's now a moot point.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back