bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I really need some professional help with figuring out what is wrong with my Blue Faced Angel? I have a blue faced Angel and a dog face puffer and Hawkfish in quarantine and the Tank came down with Ich a week after purchasing the fish. I am on day 7 treatment at full dose of cupramine and tank is at steady 82 degrees. The ich has left all the fish so far but the Angel seems to still have a few lifted white dots on her. The reason actually for this post isn’t the Ich because I seem to be winning this battle. I actually have another issue going on with my Angel that started about a day before the Ich came and I started treating with cupramine. The side of the angels scales started turning into little blisters so I also treated with Maracyn 2 for the full 6 day treatment while treating cupramine. The infection on her side actually only started to look worse. So I am now treating with Kanaplex for the full 6 day treatment. But not much has changed. I am doing daily water changes and keeping QT tank very clean and it is a lot of work to do these water changes with all these treatments. I know I need to continue the cupramine treatment all the way through but can anybody please tell me for sure what this is on my Blue Faced Angel? She’s a beautiful fish I really don’t want to lose her
856B3ADA-DFED-41B5-B7F8-D4E6DF28DD84.jpeg

this is when it first started so I treated with maracyn two for the full treatment but it only got worse.
1B9AC16A-8801-4C5D-BE94-FCF26E88C639.jpeg

This is after Maracyn Treatment. looks much worse.
the fish are now on day 7 of cupramine treatment and day 6 (last day) treatment of Kanaplex. I’ve noticed that the scales on the side of the Angel seem to now be peeling like the dead scales are falling off. Does anyone know what’s causing this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello I really need some professional help with figuring out what is wrong with my Blue Faced Angel? I have a blue faced Angel and a dog face puffer and Hawkfish in quarantine and the Tank came down with Ich a week after purchasing the fish. I am on day 7 treatment at full dose of cupramine and tank is at steady 82 degrees. The ich has left all the fish so far but the Angel seems to still have a few lifted white dots on her. The reason actually for this post isn’t the Ich because I seem to be winning this battle. I actually have another issue going on with my Angel that started about a day before the Ich came and I started treating with cupramine. The side of the angels scales started turning into little blisters so I also treated with Maracyn 2 for the full 6 day treatment while treating cupramine. The infection on her side actually only started to look worse. So I am now treating with Kanaplex for the full 6 day treatment. But not much has changed. I am doing daily water changes and keeping QT tank very clean and it is a lot of work to do these water changes with all these treatments. I know I need to continue the cupramine treatment all the way through but can anybody please tell me for sure what this is on my Blue Faced Angel? She’s a beautiful fish I really don’t want to lose her

this is when it first started so I treated with maracyn two for the full treatment but it only got worse.

the fish are now on day 7 of cupramine treatment and day 6 (last day) treatment of Kanaplex. I’ve noticed that the scales on the side of the Angel seem to now be peeling like the dead scales are falling off. Does anyone know what’s causing this?
Run some carbon and switch to seachem kanaplex and remove carbon. Similar to dropsy may be internal or stemmed from damage/injury
Increase oxygen with air stone and pristine water quality

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run some carbon and switch to seachem kanaplex and remove carbon. Similar to dropsy may be internal or stemmed from damage/injury
Increase oxygen with air stone and pristine water quality
I ran carbon before the Angel fish had these spots and already dozed with Kanaplex today is day 6 Kanaplex and day 7 cupramine

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I’m new to R2R can you help? Or do you know someone who can help identify this infection on my Angel fish. I’ve saw you help many on other threads and would appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you remember if the fish thrashed hard while being netted, maybe at the LFS?

I’m wondering if it could be abrasions from earlier netting now getting infected.

@Jay Hemdal for some professional help.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is the fish still feeding?
Are the spots also on the other side of the fish?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you remember if the fish thrashed hard while being netted, maybe at the LFS?

I’m wondering if it could be abrasions from earlier netting now getting infected.

@Jay Hemdal for some professional help.
Hey Jay, I’m Cody. So when I bought the Angel at the store I do remember not liking the way the guy netted the fish because he kinda had her caught in the net and did struggle a little bit with getting her in the bag but I didn’t think it would have been bad enough to cause that much damage. But it is a good point and u may be correct. At first I though it was from the dog face puffer in quarantine with her but they get along really well I actually have a pvc tee in qt and they 2” pvc together and don’t fight at all. Plus if they were fighting the Angel would have bite marks out of her fins not the direct side

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
Hey what’s up Jay! So I took 4 days to get to full dose of cupramine and the Angel ate all the way up to full dose. today is day 8 of full dose of cupramine with thank temperature at 82 degrees and the Angel hasn’t Ate sense full dosage up cupramine. I’ve tried feeding Nori, pellets, shrimp all the things she was eating before but she’s not interested and I figured that was normal because a lot of fish I have noticed lose appetite during cupramine treatment. She does not have the spots on the other side only on one side. I do 20% daily water changes to keep the Ammonia levels low as it is a 10 gallon qt that is overstocked unfortunately with 3 fish. Last night was my 3rd and last dose of Kanaplex and it seems like the spots have finally gotten a little better from yesterday to today. Do you know what this could be? Any help would really be appreciated, thanks Jay

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what’s up Jay! So I took 4 days to get to full dose of cupramine and the Angel ate all the way up to full dose. today is day 8 of full dose of cupramine with thank temperature at 82 degrees and the Angel hasn’t Ate sense full dosage up cupramine. I’ve tried feeding Nori, pellets, shrimp all the things she was eating before but she’s not interested and I figured that was normal because a lot of fish I have noticed lose appetite during cupramine treatment. She does not have the spots on the other side only on one side. I do 20% daily water changes to keep the Ammonia levels low as it is a 10 gallon qt that is overstocked unfortunately with 3 fish. Last night was my 3rd and last dose of Kanaplex and it seems like the spots have finally gotten a little better from yesterday to today. Do you know what this could be? Any help would really be appreciated, thanks Jay
Spots on just one side leans towards an injury and subsequent infection. Parasites would be on both sides of the fish more randomly.
You haven’t added any ammonia reducing chemicals have you? Prime, Amquel, anything like that?
What 3 fish are in this tank? I worry because that is really small for the angel along, not counting two additional fish.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spots on just one side leans towards an injury and subsequent infection. Parasites would be on both sides of the fish more randomly.
You haven’t added any ammonia reducing chemicals have you? Prime, Amquel, anything like that?
What 3 fish are in this tank? I worry because that is really small for the angel along, not counting two additional fish.
Jay
I completely agree Jay that the tank is overcrowded. I should not have purchased all of these fish at the same time. I’m still learning, the fish in the tank is a long nose hawkfish, a dog faced puffer and the Blue Faced Angel. When I first brought the Angel home I did notice the pattern in her scales was a bit off on that side and within 3 days of being in QT It just looked like it turned into blisters which after treatment it seems that the blisters have now popped and may be shrinking and healing. There is no Amquel or prime or ammonia reducing chemicals in the tank because I’m treating with cupramine. The dog faced puffer and Angel get along fine by the way I’ve saw no signs of aggression I’m guessing because the Angel is much larger than the puffer

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree Jay that the tank is overcrowded. I should not have purchased all of these fish at the same time. I’m still learning, the fish in the tank is a long nose hawkfish, a dog faced puffer and the Blue Faced Angel. When I first brought the Angel home I did notice the pattern in her scales was a bit off on that side and within 3 days of being in QT It just looked like it turned into blisters which after treatment it seems that the blisters have now popped and may be shrinking and healing. There is no Amquel or prime or ammonia reducing chemicals in the tank because I’m treating with cupramine. The dog faced puffer and Angel get along fine by the way I’ve saw no signs of aggression I’m guessing because the Angel is much larger than the puffer
Based on your description the lesions could be healing - that can take 7 to 14 days, with residual scars going away after a month or so.
Getting it feeding again is the next step, but I’m not sure why it isn’t eating now…
Be sure not to stare closely at it when you feed, that can stress them out. Better to watch from a darkened room.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your description the lesions could be healing - that can take 7 to 14 days, with residual scars going away after a month or so.
Getting it feeding again is the next step, but I’m not sure why it isn’t eating now…
Be sure not to stare closely at it when you feed, that can stress them out. Better to watch from a darkened room.
Jay
Ok thanks I really appreciate your help Jay! So last night was my last dose (3rd dose) of Kanaplex do you agree that it’s time to stop dosing the Kanaplex as it says in the instructions? Just keep dosing the cupramine for the last 6 days and hope to get her eating again as soon as possible so she gets the nutrients to heal up?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks I really appreciate your help Jay! So last night was my last dose (3rd dose) of Kanaplex do you agree that it’s time to stop dosing the Kanaplex as it says in the instructions? Just keep dosing the cupramine for the last 6 days and hope to get her eating again as soon as possible so she gets the nutrients to heal up?
Yes, don’t extend either treatment beyond what they specify.
I wish I had some more advice on getting the fish to feed - that is a critical issue.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had some more advice on getting the fish to feed - that is a critical issue.
Jay
I’m hoping that once cupramine treatment finishes that she starts eating again. I had the same thing happen with two large watchmen gobies they stopped eating during treatment and the day treatment was done and carbon was back in they ate again. I fed some nori today on a clip and the puffer ate alot but I think I may have saw the Angel maybe eat a few flakes that the puffer had spit up during feeding I watched from a distances so couldn’t really make out if she actually ate it or not. Thank you very much for your help Jay I’ll keep this updated so anyone with similar issues can refer back.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Jay I have another question about the Blue Faced Angel we’ve been speaking about if you can please help me out. So I finished my Kanaplex Treatment 2 days ago and I am currently on day 10 of cupramine treatment at full dose, all of the fish began eating again after finishing Kanaplex treatment, I’m guessing the cupramine and Kanaplex combined put them thru some stress. As of today the Angel seems like her lesions are healing on her side but she still has to white dots on her that look like Ich they’re really raised and I don’t know why the Ich dots haven’t gone away on her while the other dots on the other fish went away before 3rd day of treatment. The other question I wanted to ask was in the picture attached below she has white stringy poop what do you suggest for treatment of that? This poor fish has something going on with her everywhere I turn around Ich, unidentifiable lesions on her side and now white stringy poop? All of the other fish are doing fine in the tank.
F8069D11-028C-4CA2-8D4C-B64D89AB0F04.jpeg
D4C67B81-6D3F-411B-BAE3-3C03A139CB6C.jpeg
E38B4F81-9A5D-4DE9-93A8-28D2F8FFD369.jpeg

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That large amount of stringy feces is really unusual. The angel started eating again? What are you feeding it?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That large amount of stringy feces is really unusual. The angel started eating again? What are you feeding it?

Jay
Hey Jay yes the Angel went 8 days with no food and just started eating again yesterday. This is what I feed the Angel plus Red and Green Nori when she’ll eat it
49AD4708-1819-43E5-805D-736F57B344B5.jpeg

Upvote 0

Ken Goldsmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like Lymphocystis. as long as it isn't close to its mouth, it should be fine. Could be as a consequence of the treatment. As long as it is eating, leave it alone. No more treatments. If it gets much worse, you can scrape it off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Lymphocystis. as long as it isn't close to its mouth, it should be fine. Could be as a consequence of the treatment. As long as it is eating, leave it alone. No more treatments. If it gets much worse, you can scrape it off.
Thank you Ken unfortunately the Angelfish ended up passing away. I seem to have bad luck with Angel fish I Have just bought my second angelfish, a juvenile Emperor Angel and it was fine the first day in the 20 gal qt when I brought it home. It ate and swam fine. It was introduced into qt at same time with a Juvenile Naso Tang and a Neon Goby. The next day I woke up and the Angel was laying on its side breathing hard. I checked water parameters ammonia 0 nitrite and nitrate 0. Ph 8.0 salinity 1.022. I went ahead and gave the Angel a 5 minute freshwater bath In Ro water, PH adjusted with air stone and temp matched.
during fw dip I noticed what looked like flukes coming out of its gills and a white patch raised that looks like lympho next to his gills. Can you take a look and tell me what you think ? You won’t be able to see the flukes but they were definitely coming out of the gills. These pictures were taken during the fw dip

971F36E9-0687-441B-8292-889EC7CCFA91.jpeg

03356AA7-8C1C-4992-AD19-DBED25E2F5A0.jpeg

245F2D5C-5BFC-4209-8A5A-096480F897C0.jpeg

Because all the fish are in the same tank together I decided to treat the tank with Prazipro at 4ml per the 16 gallons that is in the tank. Two hrs After dosing prazipro the Angel swam up and pooped a ton of brown poop, after that I have noticed it still trying to swim up but it’s swimming vertically. And then going back down. Prior to pooping though the Angel didn’t even move once all day just layed on it’s side. Do you have any suggestions?
@Jay Hemdal would you have any suggestions? Any tips you can give me I’m really having back luck with angelfish

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you saw out of the fish's gills weren't flukes (you need to use a microscope to see gill flukes) but it could have been mucus, or possibly some other type of worm.

I don't think that the two angels died from related causes. Getting good quality angels is key. Some are still being collected with sodium cyanide which can cause delayed death in the fish days to weeks later. That could have been the cause with the emperor (it also seems thin to me). Your blueface angel had some type of infection though.

Jay

Upvote 0
Back