bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I really need some professional help with figuring out what is wrong with my Blue Faced Angel? I have a blue faced Angel and a dog face puffer and Hawkfish in quarantine and the Tank came down with Ich a week after purchasing the fish. I am on day 7 treatment at full dose of cupramine and tank is at steady 82 degrees. The ich has left all the fish so far but the Angel seems to still have a few lifted white dots on her. The reason actually for this post isn’t the Ich because I seem to be winning this battle. I actually have another issue going on with my Angel that started about a day before the Ich came and I started treating with cupramine. The side of the angels scales started turning into little blisters so I also treated with Maracyn 2 for the full 6 day treatment while treating cupramine. The infection on her side actually only started to look worse. So I am now treating with Kanaplex for the full 6 day treatment. But not much has changed. I am doing daily water changes and keeping QT tank very clean and it is a lot of work to do these water changes with all these treatments. I know I need to continue the cupramine treatment all the way through but can anybody please tell me for sure what this is on my Blue Faced Angel? She’s a beautiful fish I really don’t want to lose her
856B3ADA-DFED-41B5-B7F8-D4E6DF28DD84.jpeg

this is when it first started so I treated with maracyn two for the full treatment but it only got worse.
1B9AC16A-8801-4C5D-BE94-FCF26E88C639.jpeg

This is after Maracyn Treatment. looks much worse.
the fish are now on day 7 of cupramine treatment and day 6 (last day) treatment of Kanaplex. I’ve noticed that the scales on the side of the Angel seem to now be peeling like the dead scales are falling off. Does anyone know what’s causing this?

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell cyanide poisoning weeks later in a dying fish if I could examine its internal organs. Sorry I'm unable to help, though.:(

Upvote 0

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay I have another question about the Blue Faced Angel we’ve been speaking about if you can please help me out. So I finished my Kanaplex Treatment 2 days ago and I am currently on day 10 of cupramine treatment at full dose, all of the fish began eating again after finishing Kanaplex treatment, I’m guessing the cupramine and Kanaplex combined put them thru some stress. As of today the Angel seems like her lesions are healing on her side but she still has to white dots on her that look like Ich they’re really raised and I don’t know why the Ich dots haven’t gone away on her while the other dots on the other fish went away before 3rd day of treatment. The other question I wanted to ask was in the picture attached below she has white stringy poop what do you suggest for treatment of that? This poor fish has something going on with her everywhere I turn around Ich, unidentifiable lesions on her side and now white stringy poop? All of the other fish are doing fine in the tank.
F8069D11-028C-4CA2-8D4C-B64D89AB0F04.jpeg
D4C67B81-6D3F-411B-BAE3-3C03A139CB6C.jpeg
E38B4F81-9A5D-4DE9-93A8-28D2F8FFD369.jpeg
Probably that kind of poop is from constipation, but sometimes it is indicative of an internal bacterial infection. But since you've treated with Kanaflex, I doubt this is bacterial.

Upvote 0

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay yes the Angel went 8 days with no food and just started eating again yesterday. This is what I feed the Angel plus Red and Green Nori when she’ll eat it
49AD4708-1819-43E5-805D-736F57B344B5.jpeg
Good food choice for angels. Try others when and if the angel you have will eat.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you saw out of the fish's gills weren't flukes (you need to use a microscope to see gill flukes) but it could have been mucus, or possibly some other type of worm.

I don't think that the two angels died from related causes. Getting good quality angels is key. Some are still being collected with sodium cyanide which can cause delayed death in the fish days to weeks later. That could have been the cause with the emperor (it also seems thin to me). Your blueface angel had some type of infection though.

Jay
Wow I never knew about the sodium cyanide. Its very possible that’s going on with this Angel. I can’t seem to get the Angel to stop laying on its side?? Possibly swim bladder disease? It really sucks because I don’t know what I can do to help this poor emperor Angel.

Upvote 0

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input man. Really wish I knew how to help this emperor Angel.
You are more than welcome. Wish I had a good answer. Have you gotten other fish from this same source? How are they doing?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you saw out of the fish's gills weren't flukes (you need to use a microscope to see gill flukes) but it could have been mucus, or possibly some other type of worm.

I don't think that the two angels died from related causes. Getting good quality angels is key. Some are still being collected with sodium cyanide which can cause delayed death in the fish days to weeks later. That could have been the cause with the emperor (it also seems thin to me). Your blueface angel had some type of infection though.

Jay
Jay if it is cyanide poisoning what would you suggest doing to help the fish or is there any remedy at all? The Angel is still laying on its side today so it has been 24 hrs of this laying on its side and it moves every once in a while to sit upright. Is there anything than I can do to help? Thanks Jay I really appreciate ur help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are more than welcome. Wish I had a good answer. Have you gotten other fish from this same source? How are they doing?
Yes actually I have gotten a healthy leopard wrasse, a healthy juvenile clown trigger, and I purchased my neon goby and naso tang as well all the same store and those two are currently in qt with the angel. But they seem very healthy and eating well even with the prazipro treatment.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Jay if it is cyanide poisoning what would you suggest doing to help the fish or is there any remedy at all? The Angel is still laying on its side today so it has been 24 hrs of this laying on its side and it moves every once in a while to sit upright. Is there anything than I can do to help? Thanks Jay I really appreciate ur help
With cyanide poisoning, you cant really do much as it will affect the fish both neurologically and diet wise. You pretty acquire hat seems to be a healthy fish to watch it deteriorate without any real signs other than lethargy then becoming moribund, then death. Eating however is a good sign and you will need to wean it to frozen soon to give it needed fats, aminos and boost immune system.
Some good foods are:
Hikari angel diet
Ocean nutrition angel formula
LRS Herbivore diet
Mysis shrimp
spirulina brine shrimp
shopped krill
Clam on 1/2 shell

Upvote 0

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With cyanide poisoning, you cant really do much as it will affect the fish both neurologically and diet wise. You pretty acquire hat seems to be a healthy fish to watch it deteriorate without any real signs other than lethargy then becoming moribund, then death. Eating however is a good sign and you will need to wean it to frozen soon to give it needed fats, aminos and boost immune system.
Some good foods are:
Hikari angel diet
LRS Herbivore diet
Mysis shrimp
spirulina brine shrimp
shopped krill
Clam on 1/2 shell
I'm not familiar with "Hikari angel diet." Can you provide me a reference to it? Thanks. I think it might be Hikari Mega-Marine Angel food -- the frozen one? That is a great food IMO.
Ocean Nutrition Angel Formula is great
LRS Herbivore is also great (don't know why he called it "Herbivore" since it seems to be mostly meaty)

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't say for sure if the issue is caused by cyanide poisoning, or if that is a contributing factor, or not even the issue at all. If cyanide is the cause, there is nothing to be done because the damage has already been done to its internal organs.

Once a fish "goes down", whatever the cause, there is usually nothing that can be done for it...I've only brought back fish from that point a handful of times, and usually just when the issue was some acute environmental problem that I could easily and quickly correct - sorry!

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure if the issue is caused by cyanide poisoning, or if that is a contributing factor, or not even the issue at all. If cyanide is the cause, there is nothing to be done because the damage has already been done to its internal organs.

Once a fish "goes down", whatever the cause, there is usually nothing that can be done for it...I've only brought back fish from that point a handful of times, and usually just when the issue was some acute environmental problem that I could easily and quickly correct - sorry!

Jay
Ya I have had a lot of bad luck with angels. I guess I need to learn how to pick the really healthy ones. So far I’ve lost two angels out of two… always appreciate your input though

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good foods are:
Hikari angel diet
LRS Herbivore diet
Mysis shrimp
spirulina brine shrimp
shopped krill
Clam on 1/2 shell
Thanks man unfortunately the Angel passed. I die believe it had swim bladder for some reason towards the end it swimming upside down and stuff.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with "Hikari angel diet." Can you provide me a reference to it? Thanks. I think it might be Hikari Mega-Marine Angel food -- the frozen one? That is a great food IMO.
Ocean Nutrition Angel Formula is great
LRS Herbivore is also great (don't know why he called it "Herbivore" since it seems to be mostly meaty)
So the Angel passed unfortunately. I did dose Prazipro pro when the Angel was alive as I said before. The Angel passed today and tomorrow is day 3 of Prazipro being In the tank. I still have the naso tang and neon goby in the qt tank. After I do water change tomorrow (3rd day) should I redose prazi or just do 100 percent water change and observe for 2 weeks ? The Neon Goby and Naso tang have no signs of any external or internal parasites. And both are currently eating even with prazipro in tank @Jay Hemdal

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks man unfortunately the Angel passed. I die believe it had swim bladder for some reason towards the end it swimming upside down and stuff.
There was likely bladder but something else going on in addition to bacterial and other undetermined and very sorry to hear
Do doubt a gorgeous fish

Upvote 0

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angelfishes are beautiful but quite delicate, especially the large angelfishes, be careful when buying fish of this requirement, they must eat and swim well in the lfs, they must not show any type of external or internal damage (sinking of the pelvic area or stomach), everything should look good, and if your quarantine tank is in order then you can take it home, but you should be prepared for any type of situation, these fish are very easily stressed and are more delicate than usual that one can come to think IMO; for the moment do not rush to get another angel of this requirement, better try to improve your quarantine tanks and look for better quality fish, good luck with the fish you have now.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Angel passed unfortunately. I did dose Prazipro pro when the Angel was alive as I said before. The Angel passed today and tomorrow is day 3 of Prazipro being In the tank. I still have the naso tang and neon goby in the qt tank. After I do water change tomorrow (3rd day) should I redose prazi or just do 100 percent water change and observe for 2 weeks ? The Neon Goby and Naso tang have no signs of any external or internal parasites. And both are currently eating even with prazipro in tank @Jay Hemdal
I would change some water and then redose the prazipro 8 or 9 days after the first dose and then a week after that, call it good. This is assuming the fish have gone through copper though?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change some water and then redose the prazipro 8 or 9 days after the first dose and then a week after that, call it good. This is assuming the fish have gone through copper though?

Jay
Ok I will do that with the prazipro and no copper treatment has been given to the neon goby or the Naso tang yet? Should I treat With copper even with no signs of disease? If so when should I dose the copper ? Thanks
-Cody

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angelfishes are beautiful but quite delicate, especially the large angelfishes, be careful when buying fish of this requirement, they must eat and swim well in the lfs, they must not show any type of external or internal damage (sinking of the pelvic area or stomach), everything should look good, and if your quarantine tank is in order then you can take it home, but you should be prepared for any type of situation, these fish are very easily stressed and are more delicate than usual that one can come to think IMO; for the moment do not rush to get another angel of this requirement, better try to improve your quarantine tanks and look for better quality fish, good luck with the fish you have now.
Thank you LaloJ very much. I agree with everything u just said completely.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bbpros2b

bbpros2b

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was likely bladder but something else going on in addition to bacterial and other undetermined and very sorry to hear
Do doubt a gorgeous fish
Yea I hope to have better luck in the future just need to be more selective in my choosing of Angelfish. Thank you vetteguy

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back