Blue Throat Trigger ate Duncan Coral

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have slowly been transitioning my 90 gallon from a FOWLR to a reef aquarium and have had nearly no issues until today. I bought a green Duncan and green torch coral this morning. After going through the process of getting the coral prepped for the tank, I stuck both frag plugs down into the sand bed. Within 10 seconds of my hands being out of the tank my blue throat trigger goes and obliterates the duncan coral. I thought it may have been a reactionary thing, but the trigger returned to finish off what was left a minute or so later. Has anyone had issues with BT triggers actually eating corals? I hasn't touched any of my other LPS or leathers before. I am now worried it will eat this torch which is by far my most expensive coral. So far it has shown zero interest in it though.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have slowly been transitioning my 90 gallon from a FOWLR to a reef aquarium and have had nearly no issues until today. I bought a green Duncan and green torch coral this morning. After going through the process of getting the coral prepped for the tank, I stuck both frag plugs down into the sand bed. Within 10 seconds of my hands being out of the tank my blue throat trigger goes and obliterates the duncan coral. I thought it may have been a reactionary thing, but the trigger returned to finish off what was left a minute or so later. Has anyone had issues with BT triggers actually eating corals? I hasn't touched any of my other LPS or leathers before. I am now worried it will eat this torch which is by far my most expensive coral. So far it has shown zero interest in it though.
what I have found: most things that exist in the tank BEFORE I add the fish are fine. After? It’s only common sense that…

if A giant hand from space puts food in the tank 1-2 times a day... It would be safe to assume that EVERYTHING the giant hand brings is edible and for me to eat.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say, is I tried to add some random zoas to my FOWLR tank, which has a niger, blue throat, humu and a dogface puffer, and they were on those zoas like white on rice on a paperplate in a snowstorm.

OP
OP
T

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hope is this was a one off incident but we will see! Until today it hasn’t touched a thing, but maybe Duncan’s just look like desert.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue throat for several years that was fine. My Niger was fine for over 6 years then one day started taking chunks out of my LPS colonies. Ya just never know. Your incident may be related to the fact it was a new placement. All of my fish check out new additions but usually they just peck at the plugs or skeleton. Maybe next time add new coral after fish are down for the night :thinking-face:

OP
OP
T

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say it felt personal as I had been admiring this amazing Duncan colony at the LFS I bought the Duncan from. My High aspirations to achieve that colony lasted all of 30 seconds.

Vet reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear man.
may BTT is full of LPS
GoniporA
Torches
Hammers
Acans zoos
But he did attack a green blue chromis. And killed it and now he is in the sump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back