Books Recommendation…

kennyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you where to recommend a book to someone, with/without experience to have what would it be.

I don’t do much book reading for the hobby cause the info is updated regularly online rather than book, but being a book worm I will like to have a small Reefing Library and will love to here your favorites?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really believe you are much better reading this site instead of a book. A book is by one author. R2R gives you the practical, real world experience of hundreds of reefers. Many experts on R2R that are happy to help with specific questions and problems.

Good luck with your reefing experience.

OP
OP
kennyreef

kennyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really believe you are much better reading this site instead of a book. A book is by one author. R2R gives you the practical, real world experience of hundreds of reefers. Many experts on R2R that are happy to help with specific questions and problems.

Good luck with your reefing experience.
Ok let me explain again. I’m not looking for book as reference. If you read the post I’m looking for that book that you had and loved so I can take a look a make a library for the sake of having the book. Cause if you read… my information I get it online cause is updated faster online than on book.
Hopefully someone in R2R will read and understand the meaning of collective book

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let me explain again. I’m not looking for book as reference. If you read the post I’m looking for that book that you had and loved so I can take a look a make a library for the sake of having the book. Cause if you read… my information I get it online cause is updated faster online than on book.
Hopefully someone in R2R will read and understand the meaning of collective book
The aquarium book market has tanked, pardon the pun.
I don’t think a major book has been published in the past five years. TFH publications has no books forthcoming. My own fish disease book is sitting unpublished.
Your best information resource is likely right where you are now....
Jay

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few classics that I wish I didn't loan out----
  • The Marine Aquarium Reference: Systems and Invertebrates by Martin A. Moe Jr.
  • Dr. Burgess's Atlas of Marine Aquarium Fishes
  • The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates by Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek Vol 1
  • The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates by Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek Vol 2

OP
OP
kennyreef

kennyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates by Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek Vol 1
  • The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates by Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek Vol 2
Thanks Inhave the last two but will take a look at the first two!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel some books on reefs are essential reads as they are researched and list the papers used by the authors and the authors claims can be verified. With this in mind here's some of my reccomendations.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" by Forest Rohwer (kindle ~$10, paperback ~$17) Best introduction to the conflicting roles of the various types of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC) in reef ecosystems.

"The Reef Aquarium" Vol 1, 2 and 3 by Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung. Much of Vol 3 is updated stuff from Vol 1 but I still find myself going back to all three volumes every year.

"Elemental Cycling on Tropical Reefs" By Jasper de Goeij. This is de Goiej's work that stunned the sponge community showing some marine sponges are critical for recycling DOC in marine ecosystems and can have incredibly fast mitosis rates but don't grow (cellular reproduction rates of as little as 8 hours).

Erik Bloohm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+++ for The Marine Aquarium Reference by Moe. There is more info packed in that book than you're likely to find in one place anywhere else. LED lighting and so many other things just weren't a "thing" when he wrote that. But his in depth discussion of the biology, chemistry, and physics of a marine aquarium are still relevant and applicable to today's technology (the corals and fish haven't changed :) )

Itsadeepbluesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about a dozen or more fish books and I would recommend online searches, just make sure to cross reference, as everything you read isn't always true. Forums like this are a better option in my opinion.

FyrruPuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to recommend just one book, I'd say go for "The Reef Aquarium" by Julian Sprung and J.C. Delbeek.

Back