Brand Loyality: Are you a brand club member?

Are you loyal to a certain brand or product in the aquarium industry?

• Yes

Votes: 198 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 287 56.8%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 20 4.0%

• Total voters

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because I am new in this hobby and haven’t used enough brands to have an opinion. I generally do settle into brands I like and am willing to pay more for them, assuming they are high quality that is. Also, when there is a brand I like, I generally cut them a little slack if they are behind the curve on something, but no one gets and endless leash.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a club could be considered subscribing to different email lists from your favorite websites. Staying informed with a newsletter is valuable IMO.

Earning my business is simple, offer top quality products, superior customer service, and offer competitive pricing. I will pay more for a product if the customer service is excellent. If not, my bidness goes elsewhere.

I have a mix matched setup with different brand names. I prefer Kessil lights, Ecotech wavemakers, and an Innovative Marine tank. To me, these three quality brands used together, make my setup unique.

Bowhunter13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I’ve never thought about it until now. There are things that I prefer but my loyalty is to the product not the brand. So my answer is no when it comes to my tank and hobby as a whole. Where as in other aspects of life and hobbies I most definitely am. Fly fishing is the first that comes to mind. I am loyal to certain brands in every aspect of the sport weather it’s waders, line and leaders. Pretty much everything other then rod and reel.

Crotalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my lights are the same brand, Reef Brite, but that' it. I use Tunze, Coralife, Maxspec, Two Little Fishes, Jaebo, etc. I rarely have more than two items of any brand. As far as purchases, it's price and availability. There is one online seller I check first because they offer a Veteran's discount.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for value, quality, functionality and quality product/warranty support. Don't think any of today's equipment manufacturers come close. Failures, defects, short warranties and poor support are more the norm. So it comes to picking the lessor of evils that will do the job and are available. I'm mostly running Ecotech and Neptune stuff which is pretty close to as good as it gets as far as functionality but I've had my share of issues with both. To much hobbyist grade stuff out there at premium lab grade prices. When you start going bargain basement imports it gets far worse. My Reef Octopus skimmer and bio pellet reactor are about the only things that have been flawless but then again never needed support.

You wanna talk fanboys then look to the LED vs T5 vs MH/T5 bunch lol

Scopulum Zombie

Unconventional reefing without regret.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be with Vertex products... the Cerebra debacle changed my mind though.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not afraid of new things, but have been loyal to a few time tested brands. They fall under the "aint broke so don't fix it" category for me

I switched from IO to Tropic Marin salt so long ago that I'm not exactly sure when it was. Late 1970's or early 80's. With the exception of a brief trial of Red Sea salt, TM is all I have used.

Same with Eheim heaters. I've been using them forever.

I also like Tunze products, generally speaking.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my list of vendors that I support because of the service and quality of their products:

Crystal Dynamic Aquarium
Geosreef Equipment
LIfeReef Venturi Protein Skimmer
Pentair Aquatics UV Sterilizer
Apex Equipment
TopLids Tank Cover
EcoTech Powerheads/Versa
Kessil Lights
Brightwell
BRS
LiveAquaria
Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt
Seneye
Tunze Equipment
Saltwater Aquarium
AquaCave

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have AI Lights on all my tanks, reef and freshwater, I have AI nero 5's on all my reef tanks, Tried the vortech pumps but didn't like them so went back to nero 5's.
I have D-D pro 4 dosing pumps, Deltec skimmers on all but one tank, they don't do return pumps otherwise I would have one of those aswell.
The reason I have all AI/D-D products is I am assured of quality and backed up by second to none customer support and service, Got to give a big shout out to Tony D-D on another forum, he is a legend.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of Aquaforest as a matter of simplicity. Having a complete system that includes balling method of dosing just makes my life easier. The product works for me and is giving me the results I want so i will stick with it.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks only. I buy Red Sea exclusively. All other equipment depends on deal of the day, ebb and flow of the tides, and of course how much I've been drinking.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got back in after a roughly 25 year hiatus, I bought red sea thinking their aquariums would be worth it. I was wrong. First RS-170 sprang a pin-hole leak:

I replaced it with a RS-250 afterwards, and while I like the dimensions, I don't like the fact that I can scratch the glass just by looking at it incorrectly. (I only use the Tunze plastic scraper).

Next time I'm going with Planet Aquariums or some other reputable builder.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a brand loyalist. I have favorites for sure based on what works for me but if something better comes along or there is a legit reason to switch I will ... and often do. This forum is bad for my shiny object syndrome.

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not brand loyal but manufacturers are starting to push us this way. Ecotech will be its own empire. Neptune will be its own empire (as more manufacturers are moving away from integration). If you want everything to work with all the features you’ll either need to pick a camp or use a different app for every manufacturer.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for "other". I have brands I like because they work, they're durable & customer service is accomodating. I'm also loyal to some coral vendors, reef suppliers & maintenance supply folks.

I'm not in that club of folks who like to try new stuff. My tanks have taken years to get where they're at and I'm not going to "guinea pig" my livestock and corals. I'll sit back, listen to reviews and make a decision after I see a product in action - with results and not just hearsay or sales pitches.

My livestock & corals like "slow & steady" and it's their show, I'm just there to provide their needs.

Ebone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech... their customer service was second to none... and they sent me a frag cutter for my inconvenience...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planet Aquariums for big show tanks.

But for smaller aquariums, I'll roll the dice with Aqueon and put a leak detector on the floor. :p

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back