Brand new gyre pump stalling

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this brand new maxspect jump gyre MJGF2K for Christmas.

The pump keeps on stalling or the motor is going out of phase or something.

When this happens the rotors move slowly and jitter slightly followed by the rotor speed picking up to where it should be and the pump/motor making a noise. See video below:

Here are the settings on the pump driver:
F822E8B3-9563-4C94-A44C-233DB7EF457F.jpeg

Its on alternating gyre mode, 100% reverse direction speed, 40% normal direction speed, 6s ramp up and down, 4s at maxium speeds in both directions.

I dont know what to do about this. Im really bumed that this pump isn't working as it should because when it's not stalled, the flow is absolutely perfect for my tank.

Should i contact the shop where it came from to see if they'll arrange a replacement? This must be a defect... I cant find anyone else online with this issue with a brand new pump...

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reasons I ditched gyre style pumps a couple years ago. They are just to unreliable, and seemingly just break for no reason.

Anyways.....
Have you taken it apart to make sure everything is seated properly? Almost looks like it's getting stuck.

Tompickles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds similar to an issue I had with the icecap gyre. New pump also. I replaced the bushings in the end caps of the removable cage and fixed my issue of the pump stalling.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reasons I ditched gyre style pumps a couple years ago. They are just to unreliable, and seemingly just break for no reason.

Anyways.....
Have you taken it apart to make sure everything is seated properly? Almost looks like it's getting stuck.
Yeah I've heard they need alot of maintainance and such but i haven't seen one come defective like this before.

I did take the guards off and the blades to make sure everything spins freely but thats about all i did. Let me know if or how i should take it apart further... But everything seemed perfect when I did take the blades off.

But yeah it does definitely look like its getting stuck, is it assembled incorrectly? Is there a break in period?

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds similar to an issue I had with the icecap gyre. New pump also. I replaced the bushings in the end caps of the removable cage and fixed my issue of the pump stalling.
I think you get spare bushings in the box, i might try replacing them after i take it apart one more time to check everything. But it does seem odd that a brand new pump would need bushings replacing eh

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on the jump line, I owned the older XF line.

Does the magnet come out of the motor block? Usually one of the bushings can be pushed out.

I would start there, as sometimes the bushing that holds the magnet in the motor gets pushed in to tight causing it to start and stall like that.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my gyre. I've had several running at a time at one point. Now I just use 1. Cleaning isn't bad once you learn them well. Actually goes pretty fast now.

The biggest thing that causes problems with these is the cages. They MUST be free to wobble/move. If they are not free they WILL bind the motor or cause premature failure.

So if they aren't turning (twisting with ease) or they are binding inside the motor housing you are asking for problems.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check that the controller is set properly. With the maxspect ones the same controller can be used for the small and large. If the wrong pump is "configured" it will act like that.
I dont think there is a way to change what pump the controller is configured for with this specific product (Maxspect MJGF2K).

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my gyre. I've had several running at a time at one point. Now I just use 1. Cleaning isn't bad once you learn them well. Actually goes pretty fast now.

The biggest thing that causes problems with these is the cages. They MUST be free to wobble/move. If they are not free they WILL bind the motor or cause premature failure.

So if they aren't turning (twisting with ease) or they are binding inside the motor housing you are asking for problems.
Yeah i like gyres too, they make awsome flow.

You mean the actual cage parts that go around the blades? They need to wobble with ease?

The cages do twist, but need a fair bit of force. I wouldn't say they twist with ease, but that is how i would expect them to be.

Having said that, i took them off and put the unit back together and now it seems to be locking up less often. Still occasionally struggles when ramping up from a stop for about a second, but doesn't seem to get stuck for anywhere near as long now.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the actual cage parts that go around the blades? They need to wobble with ease?

Yes. I use Vaseline on the o-rings and make sure everything around the o-ring area is clean.

If they are hard to turn they are too stiff. This will definitely stress the motor. If they are even slightly cocked it will stress the bushings and motor. They need to flex.

This will allow the motor and blades to seat them where they need to be.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wiggle/twist the propeller cover ever so slightly while pulling outward. They can slightly bind up when putting them back together.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive loosened up the propeller cover cages and the problem still hasn't gone away. Pushing them all the way back in is also not making a difference. Its still doing the same thing as in the video from the original post unfortunately...

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost certainly believe this pump is defective at this point. Its actually seeming like its getting less powerful now and the motor out of phase noise seems to happen more frequently along with the motor stopping and cogging.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its being sent back and a replacement is going to be on the way soon... We'll see what this next one is like. I haven't heard of anyone else getting problems like this...

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never heard of them being like this out of the box though. I cannot find one case of it online. Please enlighten me if any of you can find ones getting stuck like this out of the box... I sent it back anyway

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back