Brand new reefer!

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone! I just setup my tank about a month and half ago. I have a 65 gallon tank with a 20g sump. The tank is fully cycled and I just added my first round of creatures a few days ago. I don't have a skimmer or refugium yet. I'll work on that in the future. Below are my questions so far.

History: I purchased this tank 2nd hand to try to see how I liked the hobby. I didn't want to invest a bunch of money on a tank for me to decide this wasn't for me and be out of thousands of dollars. The guy I picked it up from never ran a skimmer at all. I am not sure what he kept in the tank though. The equipment list is below, but I have some questions about how he had it setup. I just copied how he had it setup and I'd like your thoughts on the setup.

Equipment / Setup - 65g DT - 20g Sump - DT has a Penguin Biowheel 350 HOB on it. The Sump has a filter sock, some live rock, and another HOB filter on the sump tank. I do have room for a refugium down there, but then I am not sure where the protein skimmer would go. Do HOB filters work for Marine aquariums? Should I just ditch them all together? At this point though, I'm worried if i removed one of them, it would throw off my biofiltering. Thoughts?

Lights: The setup came with 2 Fluval Marine and Reef Pro 2.0 LED lights. I agree that the controls for dimming are a pita, but the lights seem bright. The Zoa's are open and I assume that is a good sign? I know that the lights themselves don't have amazing PAR rating, but does 2 boost that up a little? I have the lights sitting on top of the tank and I move them to where they are both over the two coral pieces. (Chalice and Zoa on LR) IS that safe? Is that help raising the PAR Levels? I spoke to someone at the LFS and they told me those lights will be okay for some Softies and maybe some easier LPS. Thoughts there?

Current Stock - 2 Clownfish, 1 Royal Gramma, 2 Skunk Cleaner shrimp.

Coral - I also have two pieces of coral that a friend gave to me. One is a piece of LR with some Zoa's on it and the other is what he called a Mushroom, but I think it is a Chalice.

I am super excited to be part of this community and hobby! The addiction is real. I am fighting every day to not just keep buying stuff to put in teh tank as I don't think it is mature enough to really be adding things. I wasn't going to add the coral, but I didn't want to be rude and say no to the free pieces.

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C49AB6B6-42D8-4B9B-9536-F943E22B6B28.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back