Rating - 100%
1   0   0

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Another thumbs up for the Brine Shrimp Direct Hatchery.

I was a little dubious but it works! I used it with the BRS brine shrimp eggs and within 24 hours they had hatched and were in the little scoop ready to be added to the aquarium.

No heater or air pump - just a bit of salt water and time.

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make a Brine shrimp feeder like this one. Every fish in this video is spawning (except the shrimpfish).
If you just put the new born shrimp in your tank they will instantly go to the surface and your dragonettes are on the bottom.

I have an article about how to build a brine shrimp hatchery and shell separator somewhere on here.

How does this work Paul B, I can’t figure out how to make one. Are the brine shrimp hatching in there or are you hatching them and then adding them into the disk?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp do not hatch in there. I hatch them in a DIY hatchery which also separates the shells. I made this but I think you can buy similar ones.

This also has a black cover that covers the right side. When the eggs hatch on the right, there is a sliding hatch between the sides and you keep it closed while hatching (about 30 hours)

Upen the hatch and put it in the light. All the shrimp go to the left side and the shells stay on the right. Close the hatch and pull down that tube. all the shrimp come out. Simple. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

You take the new born shrimp with a little water and "squirt" the shrimp into the little funnel that sticks up just out of the water at the surface.

Add a little more water to make sure they are all down but only about an ounce or the shrimp will be pushed through the mesh into the tank where they will head to the surface and be lost.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ziss brine shrimp hatchery. A little more expensive than the others, but very easy to use and harvest.

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m mooking into getting a ruby red dragonet from my lfs. I have a refugium all set up and running with tons of pods. I would eventually like to get him onto mysis, but was also wondering if brine would work? I’ve read that they can eat them, but how does the nutrition of the two foods compare. I’d obviously feed freshly hatched brine. I was looking up videos on how to make my own, but found that BRS sells both a hatchery and eggs for about $30 together. If anyone has any experience, please let me know. I’m open to all opinions and options, just thought brine might be a little easier to get gim to eat than mysis!
The brine shrimp hatchery and eggs on BRS work fantastically! Great choice. For me, all eggs hatch after 24-30 hours of setup. I would follow the steps they provide for setup on the BRS website.

I gut load with spirilina as well, but it's hard to tell if it does much or not. I've been told to wait a couple of days after they hatch before feeding if you gut load. This is because when they are born, their mouths tend to be too small to digest the spirilina.

Hope this helps!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back