Brine Shrimp Hatchery for Dragonet

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m mooking into getting a ruby red dragonet from my lfs. I have a refugium all set up and running with tons of pods. I would eventually like to get him onto mysis, but was also wondering if brine would work? I’ve read that they can eat them, but how does the nutrition of the two foods compare. I’d obviously feed freshly hatched brine. I was looking up videos on how to make my own, but found that BRS sells both a hatchery and eggs for about $30 together. If anyone has any experience, please let me know. I’m open to all opinions and options, just thought brine might be a little easier to get gim to eat than mysis!

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to gut load, newly hatched bbs are still chewing on their yolk sac (which is very good for your dragonette). I made my own hatchery and feeder, it's pretty easy to do if you go that route
So do you feed anything other than brine like mysis or are they good an just brine. I’ve been trying to do all this research today but the internet just goes right around the question lol

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their main diet is copapods. The brine are just an extra meal to keep them fat. I've had my dragonette for a couple yrs (and others before him) and he's done fine on only copapods. Recently I have added 3 wrasses and another dragonette (all copapod eaters) so I put the brine shrimp feeder in but I'm still fine tuning it and don't have them eating out of it yet. That being said while some people like to trick them into eating dead food like mysis I'm not gonna do that. The baby brine shrimp are so cheap, healthy/fresh, and easy to hatch I'll just stick with them.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make a Brine shrimp feeder like this one. Every fish in this video is spawning (except the shrimpfish).
If you just put the new born shrimp in your tank they will instantly go to the surface and your dragonettes are on the bottom.

I have an article about how to build a brine shrimp hatchery and shell separator somewhere on here.

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi where can I find this hatcher please looks perfect

Just make a Brine shrimp feeder like this one. Every fish in this video is spawning (except the shrimpfish).
If you just put the new born shrimp in your tank they will instantly go to the surface and your dragonettes are on the bottom.

I have an article about how to build a brine shrimp hatchery and shell separator somewhere on here.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, I’m mooking into getting a ruby red dragonet from my lfs. I have a refugium all set up and running with tons of pods. I would eventually like to get him onto mysis, but was also wondering if brine would work? I’ve read that they can eat them, but how does the nutrition of the two foods compare. I’d obviously feed freshly hatched brine. I was looking up videos on how to make my own, but found that BRS sells both a hatchery and eggs for about $30 together. If anyone has any experience, please let me know. I’m open to all opinions and options, just thought brine might be a little easier to get gim to eat than mysis!

This one works great for me...cheap and easy to clean.

Then use a feeder like Paul B has illustrated.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe this is the acticle

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS style Hatcher and Paul B style feeder work well.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hatchery was on a site "Saltwater Smarts" which is out of business so all those articles are lost. I think it is in my book, I will have to look if I get time.
I am sure it is on here someplace.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MrKlumZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’ve had my dragonet for about a year now and he’s gotten pretty big 3.5 - 4”. All I have setup is a refugium with multiple species of copepods, rotifers, and amphipods. I feed my fishes daily with power heads and pumps turned off. When I do I just spot feed my dragonet. He pretty much eats anything that lands on the sand bed. The feed are either pellets, flake, or half & half frozen mysis/brine shrimp. All are presoaked in Selcon & Garlic Xtreme. I alternate daily from pellets, flakes, and frozen.

Originally when I first got the dragonet. He would ignore frozen food and pellets. I’ve noticed soaking in garlic really helps and also keeping power heads running at low speed to get the frozen/pellets moving slightly on the sand bed helps as well. He now waits and follows my syringe feeder when I feed.

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Brine Shrimp Direct hatchery works great. I use it to hatch baby brine shrimp whenever I am quarantining difficult species like leopard wrasses to start them eating.
Usually set up day before I get new fish and will have baby brine for few days. Wash and repeat as needed. No need for air stones and separating shells or decapsulating eggs etc.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one works great for me...cheap and easy to clean.

Then use a feeder like Paul B has illustrated.
This was the exact one I was looking at, thanks for the advice!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back