Bristleworm! Aaaaaaah!

Seahorse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching my fowlr tank today and I happened to notice this little guy trying to burrow underneath one of my rocks. I pulled the top and then is just squeeze him into a cup without him touching my fingers. Is it a bristle worm? And if so how do I get rid of them? Are they bad? Thanks everyone.!

1515625582522829918486.jpg

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just not very pretty to look at. But they are a good cleanup crew. They eat detritus and leftover food in your tank. No danger to your inhabitants. However, do not touch them, the bristles sting. ;)

OP
OP
Seahorse man

Seahorse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just not very pretty to look at. But they are a good cleanup crew. They eat detritus and leftover food in your tank. No danger to your inhabitants. However, do not touch them, the bristles sting. ;)
What about corals? I'm getting into them soon.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about corals? I'm getting into them soon.
Have never had a problem with them and corals. My last tank had quite a population of them. Went with dry rock this time and still have some in there. I have a sixline that eats the little ones if he can find them. Otherwise they don't bother anything and I only see them occasionally as they are mostly nocturnal.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worm is good. Google it and check out the pics to see the difference from fire worm and bobbit worm, those are the ones you don't want. Some people don't like them because they think they're creepy. I only remove really big ones if I see them, but they don't harm anything. They're really good at cleaning area's other clean-up crew critters can't get to.

Ace6090

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them in my tank for years. They never get bigger than 1/4 to 1/2 inch and have never caused an issue. If they start to get too big or you see a lot of them it means you are probably overfeeding.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're good, they get into places most other clean uppers won't, plus they're mainly nocturnal, you won't see them much

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back