Bristleworm problem...

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a used biocube 32. I haven’t got any livestock or coral yet but I plan on a seahorse tank so anything that stings is a no no. As soon as I set it up I started seeing small bristleworms, too many to kill by hand. Now I’ve seen a really big one, and I’m wondering if there are any additives I could use to kill the bristleworms. Thanks in advance!

56769BBF-1767-46B6-AFBD-603810048E40.jpeg

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a few options,

You can either take all the rock out and do a bleach cure, take the sand out give the tank a good scrub.

Or

Buy some predatory fish for bristleworms ~ dotty back, 6 line wrasse, hawk fish etc and can rehome when population has been exhausted

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe copper would kill the worms. However it will leech into the rocks and sand. Giving everything a bleach bath would probably be best.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Copper, butterflies, shrimp. . . .Yikes.
Make it easy- Arrow crabs (under $20) eat them exclusively and are in season for purchase

1596945825520.png

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your eventual plan is seahorses you need a very mature stable tank so you have time to house predatory fish or shrimp or crabs and rehome them.

I wouldn't medicate the tank as others have mentioned it will leech into the rocks and that would not be good for delicate fish

Bleach bath is your safest bet and gives you a clean start

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finish cycling without adding anything like copper or bleach...then add an arrow crab, a coral banded shrimp and a juvenile angelfish. They'll make quick work of the worms. If your goal is seahorses sooner rather than later then go natural and get the cycle out of the way. You can always sell the fish, shrimp and crab to a local im sure. Then boom gorgonia grabbing seahorses!

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral banded shrimp are a great predator for bristle worms, remember though could be "opportunistic feeders" when presented it by smaller livestock in the tank.

If you want to try removal, could try one of these...

I just bought this. I’m on night three and still haven’t caught any:(. I had better luck with my DIY bottle. However, I read using table shrimp as bait may help, so I’m going to try that next. If not I may get an arrow crab, however I didn’t know about the coral banded shrimp, will they pair with a goby?

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bristle population explosion when my tank was about a year old. Everything leveld out and now about 2.5 - 3 years later I only see one every once in a while. Took about 3 months before their population started to subside, I did add a lepoard wrasse about the same time, never actually saw him eaing them but he may have contributed to their population control.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this. I’m on night three and still haven’t caught any:(. I had better luck with my DIY bottle. However, I read using table shrimp as bait may help, so I’m going to try that next. If not I may get an arrow crab, however I didn’t know about the coral banded shrimp, will they pair with a goby?
Coral banded is different than a pistol shrimp.

Coral banded will be more of a small "predator" in your tank
Pistol shrimp will be the burrowing shrimp that can pair with a goby

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt very much that they will sting your seahorses; why not think of them as adding necessary diversity to your tank and, if you really want to get rid of them, cut back your feeding.

They are part of your cuc.

Erink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an arrow crab and ate all mine... I did take him back eventually because they are super mean and extremely territorial. It ripped an arm off my coral banded! I used to call him *******
Do NOT put in with seahorses! Also, seahorses are a very hard and sensitive animal to care for so if you're fairly new to the game I'd wait a while before diving in...

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt very much that they will sting your seahorses; why not think of them as adding necessary diversity to your tank and, if you really want to get rid of them, cut back your feeding.

They are part of your cuc.
Oke.

Back