Bristleworms killing my cuc!!!

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen either of my turbo snails roaming around in a while. Well today I found a dead turbo with some sort of bristleworm in the shell. The other turbo is now missing and so is one of my two trochus snails. Below is a photo of the worm which I beleive might be a fireworm? Is there any way I could get help on an id or suggestions on how to combat this such as adding some predators?
1681406506501.png

1681406546974.png

Also I did start my tank with live rock from KP so there is a large chance of unwanted hitchikers like this. Many of my hermits have also been showing up dead ripped out of their shell so these guys may be eating them too. TIA.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure. I've never had them. I've heard arrow crabs and some wrasses will go after different types of bristle worms, not sure if that include fire worms.

Upvote 0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How should I go about getting rid of them? Wrasses? Traps? inverts?
If you can lure these out of food, I would get a net, tongs and capture. I never used a trap. So,,, there are many kinds out there and I would get to removing, the one on the snail could be rinsed off. I never got a notification for this message... R2R breaks sometimes.

That worm, isn't nothing like my fire worm.. It actually looks scary to me with those dots. I am going to bet, it might be a bearded fireworm.

Edit: bearded fireworms, everything is on the menu.

Upvote 0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me clarify, if you want to go with a bristleworm trap. There are DIY and ones you can buy. You could probably look up a DIY trap and have plenty of success.

I find food to lure them out with net - tweezers/tongs work very efficiently to grab them.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many have you seen?
I have seen this ne and then recently saw another on my rock a little bit ago. I did try to get an ID on what I beleived to be a fireworm a while ago but only got one response saying it was a bristle.

Attachments

• IMG_2118.mp4
    6.6 MB
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can lure these out of food, I would get a net, tongs and capture. I never used a trap. So,,, there are many kinds out there and I would get to removing, the one on the snail could be rinsed off. I never got a notification for this message... R2R breaks sometimes.

That worm, isn't nothing like my fire worm.. It actually looks scary to me with those dots. I am going to bet, it might be a bearded fireworm.

Edit: bearded fireworms, everything is on the menu.
Oh dang. I have heard horrors about bearded fire worms. If it truly is a bearded I may restart my tank. I also have a cb regal angel coming in about a week. Hope he isn't on the menu.

Upvote 0

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this ne and then recently saw another on my rock a little bit ago. I did try to get an ID on what I beleived to be a fireworm a while ago but only got one response saying it was a bristle.
I can’t open videos, can you post a pic

Upvote 0

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how much you know about saltwater worms but the common bristle worm would mainly come out after lights are out. You might see them during the day but they usually wait till dark to start moving around the tank. Fireworms don’t care what time of day it is. You will notice them during the day scurrying around.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How should I go about getting rid of them? Wrasses? Traps? inverts?
Green bird wrasse will eat them. You can also make a trap with a 1 or 2 litre bottle baited with shrimp

trap.jpg

Upvote 0

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen either of my turbo snails roaming around in a while. Well today I found a dead turbo with some sort of bristleworm in the shell. The other turbo is now missing and so is one of my two trochus snails. Below is a photo of the worm which I beleive might be a fireworm? Is there any way I could get help on an id or suggestions on how to combat this such as adding some predators?
1681406506501.png

1681406546974.png

Also I did start my tank with live rock from KP so there is a large chance of unwanted hitchikers like this. Many of my hermits have also been showing up dead ripped out of their shell so these guys may be eating them too. TIA.
How do you know the snail is dead? Does it smell? Looks like it’s sheltering in its home.

Upvote 0

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video one looks like a bristle worm which is harmless and would only eat something already dead. The pictures of the worm in the snail shell looks like a fireworm though.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back